The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2021, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Default 'Programming' shimmer reverb?

I love me a good shimmer reverb. I don't use it much, though, not enough to warrant carrying around an extra pedal. I do have one, the excellent EH Grand Canyon Delay & Looper pedal and there is an excellent shimverb on that.

But I only use shimmer reverb on one song in our extensive setlist, Drive by The Cars. I have found that for the most part I can 'program' in any sort of reverb or delay combo I need in my EAE amp and/or mixer.

But I can't as yet get an actual shimmer reverb. I'm wondering if anyone out there has been able to get actual shimmer reverb by programming their reverb/delay combo and if so, how?

Yes, I could carry the extra pedal and even run it from battery (we don't use AC at our gigs) but we're all about the minimal so if I can get it via programming on my existing gear, I'm much rather go that route.
Old 10-16-2021, 01:18 PM

Shimmer reverb is a special case. It requires pitch shifting in addition to other standard reverb capabilities. Therefore it can only be done with certain hardware devices or specific additional algorithms.

TC%20ELECTRONIC_FLOURESCENCE%20SHIMMER%20REVERB%20 P0CQ5_Product%20Information%20Document.pdf

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-16-2021, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
Shimmer reverb is a special case. It requires pitch shifting in addition to other standard reverb capabilities. Therefore it can only be done with certain hardware devices or specific additional algorithms.

TC%20ELECTRONIC_FLOURESCENCE%20SHIMMER%20REVERB%20 P0CQ5_Product%20Information%20Document.pdf
I think that's the story, that you need modulation plus 'verb. Unless it does shimmer built in you're likely talking two pedals to cook it up yourself.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-16-2021, 07:36 PM

Daniel Lanois and Brian Eno are widely credited with coming up with shimmer reverb while working on U2s The Unforgettable Fire.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 10-16-2021, 08:00 PM

I have the Canyon and sadly only used it for shimmer and not delay. Now that I have a Strymon Bluesky, I can use it for shimmer and the Canyon for delay. Once I figure out the "favorite" button, I'll be set.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:05 AM
Charter Member

Pretty much what I thought but I always like to take these questions to the AGF hive-mind. I've been able to program a close approximation that gets us by for that one song but there is nothing quite like the real deal. It just elevates it to a whole new level. Thanks anyway!
Old 10-18-2021, 10:01 AM
Charter Member

I wonder whether a combination of the chorus and delay functions in your spiffy new amp might get you in the ballpark of shimmer reverb? You've likely thought of that already but that's all I could come up with.
Old 10-18-2021, 02:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by leew3 View Post
I wonder whether a combination of the chorus and delay functions in your spiffy new amp might get you in the ballpark of shimmer reverb? You've likely thought of that already but that's all I could come up with.
Actually, I hadn't thought about trying to add in some chorus! I have fiddled with a lot of reverb and delay and have a very nice, over-the-top ambience reverb/delay combo. But it lacks that high-pitched 'tail' feature that is what makes shimmer shimmer. I don't think chorus will take me there but it can't hurt to try, right? Thanks for the idea!!
Old 10-18-2021, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

The latest firmware beta for the axe-fx III is introducing shimmer reverb as a feature.

They mention adding the pitch shift as well as the controls for it and a Forward and backward direction.
Old 10-22-2021, 07:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Actually, I hadn't thought about trying to add in some chorus! I have fiddled with a lot of reverb and delay and have a very nice, over-the-top ambience reverb/delay combo. But it lacks that high-pitched 'tail' feature that is what makes shimmer shimmer. I don't think chorus will take me there but it can't hurt to try, right? Thanks for the idea!!
So I gave adding some chorus a try and while it doesn't really give the shimmer effect, it does add a bit to the overall headfake towards that goal. I think the pitch shift is what is missing. And 'tails', as it's called. Maybe something that can be added later to the EAE mixer/amps as part of a firmware update? Maybe? Please? EAE? Are you listening?!?
Old 10-23-2021, 06:30 AM

Default EAE Gigmix?

Doesn’t the EAE Gigmix 4-1 mixer have shimmer?
Old 10-23-2021, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcouStickistNS View Post
Doesn’t the EAE Gigmix 4-1 mixer have shimmer?
Yes, it does. I just noticed this yesterday on their (EAE) Facebook page so I replied asking them if they had any plans to add shimmer to their X6 or D6-58 for future firmware updates to which they replied: "will add shimmer reverb to the wish list for those products."

I'm not sure if that is for only future versions or if in fact they would do a firmware update for those of us that already own them but I'm really hoping for the latter! So, if you have an older EAE amp or mixer, make sure you email them or hit them up on their Facebook page and request this update!!
Old 10-23-2021, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post

I'm not sure if that is for only future versions or if in fact they would do a firmware update for those of us that already own them but I'm really hoping for the latter! So, if you have an older EAE amp or mixer, make sure you email them or hit them up on their Facebook page and request this update!!
Thanks! I have the Stompmix 6

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification