The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-13-2021, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Default Helix to the Helix Stomp?

Has anyone gone from the Helix to the helix stomp for effects? Curious as to the big difference between the 2 other than the size and and number of blocks.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-13-2021, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjbelsch View Post
Has anyone gone from the Helix to the helix stomp for effects? Curious as to the big difference between the 2 other than the size and and number of blocks.
All I've had is the HX Stomp XL, but I know that one positive is stereo inputs vs the single mono input of the full Helix. I use that feature with the dual acoustic and electric outputs of my Godin Multiac Steel hybrid guitar. There is an option to process them completely separately, which is what I use.
Old 10-14-2021, 01:47 PM

Have you looked at the POD GO? It has the same processing as the HX Stomp or Helix, just a bit more limited in what it can do. If this is for live performance, the POD GO might serve you well. I have the HX Stomp and without adding a volume pedal and additional foot switches, the control while performing is somewhat limited. You can however set up many patches and just switch between patches like most multi-effects. I am sure you already know much about that with a Helix.
I like the HX Stomp for its size and I just use several different patches. I haven’t tapped all of its potential but it would be nice to reach down and turn a few knobs on the fly. The HX Stomp XL is another good option with more foot switches and the same flexibility as the HX Stomp.
Happy hunting…
davidc
Old 10-15-2021, 09:59 PM

Default Both

I own both. Helix has many inputs, you can run a stereo instrument through the FX inputs and assign them to be main inputs, and the impedance is variable, normally defaults to auto.

I bought the Stomp a few years ago for open mics as the Helix is huge. With the Stomp you have about half the DSP so you are going to run out of blocks and cannot do as many signal paths as the Helix is capable of.

I seriously dislike the power cord and wallwort of the stomp. The cord is short as I believe they designed it to work with a pedalboard, but the wallwort is huge.

With Helix, you can make it into a standalone synth similar to a Moog pedal synth and assign chords to each foot switch. Stomp only has three switches so that’s pretty limited with that capability.

The Helix has more inputs/outputs and expression jacks so you can do quite a bit more with it than the Stomp. Some of the latest upgrades include some stereo field processors similar to what you find in a DAW. Those are DSP thirsty, not sure if they are in the Stomp. If you need DAW processing ability for live use the Helix is the way to go.

FYI my needs are a bit different than others on this forum. I perform more on the Chapman Stick than guitars, and both my acoustic and electric are stereo out and I use my Stick cables into both of these boxes. It’s nice to be able to switch instruments without having to plug into different amps. Just change patches.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification