The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-12-2021, 04:19 PM

Default Baggs Venue and Session Di's

Any of you use both? Do you see the advantage of having one over the other or having both and using them together? I am considering getting both as the Session has features in it that he Venue doesn't and vise versus. I need to hear from you all that are actually using this option. Love? Hate?
Old 10-12-2021, 05:13 PM
Charter Member

I had a venue for a very long time. it holds a special place in my heart. I don't think I have gotten the acoustic guitar tone I love since I got rid of it. I use a helix now and it sounds okay, but the venue is one of my favorite DI's. I haven't bought a new one because I thought they would release a new one by now but it appears they went with the voice print which I had and wasn't crazy about.
2017 Taylor 714ce
Old 10-12-2021, 05:38 PM

If I could only bring one pedal to a gig it would be my Session (non DI) pedal. I use it with my venue, which I like as well (tuner is frustrating...I only use in a pinch.) That said, there are a lot of good DI boxes out there....but I'd definitely recommend picking up the non DI Session.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:22 PM

pjbelsch, I have the Voiceprint now and I am going to return it. It really chops the volume down and I don't like having to use the phone with it. I like straight up knobs to turn!
Old 10-12-2021, 06:23 PM

willymartin, I will take a look at the Session, if I have the Venue Di, the Session Di is kind of a waste for a duplicate Di.
Old 10-12-2021, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
willymartin, I will take a look at the Session, if I have the Venue Di, the Session Di is kind of a waste for a duplicate Di.
Yes, no need for 2 DIs. Technically, I don't need a DI since I have an active pickup....but the venue has tools you'll need for gigs...I would actually check out the Tonebone pz pre...it has a lot more tools for only 50$ more.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcyclist View Post
Any of you use both? Do you see the advantage of having one over the other or having both and using them together? I am considering getting both as the Session has features in it that he Venue doesn't and vise versus. I need to hear from you all that are actually using this option. Love? Hate?
I have the Venue and the Align Session and they work great together..

The Venue has been an asset to my live acoustic rig for years. It's very versatile and has the adjustable boost and effects loop. I don't care for the tuner, but it does work as my mute switch.

I also own the Align Session which I bought about a month ago.. The Session is nice addition. It works as a 'Sweetener" and I have tried it in the effects loop of Venue. But think I like it works best in front of the Venue.

I will say, the Venue and Align Session are a fantastic combo.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:48 AM

Default Baggs Venue and Session Di's

The venue and the session really work great together. If you get the venue di then get the align session with it. Or if you get the session DI l, add the align eq or some other eq pedal to better shape the tone.
Old 10-13-2021, 09:10 AM

I see a couple of you folks have and like the Align Session. I recently picked up a used one based on good reviews, but so far have found it adds an unacceptable amount of noise. I made a couple of tries to try to get it to work, following the instruction manual on setting gains, and did not succeed.

I’m not quite ready to give up. Can those of you that have made it work for you, share some tips on how you are setting gain and volume across your pickup, the Session, and then your main preamp pedal?
Old 10-13-2021, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
I see a couple of you folks have and like the Align Session. I recently picked up a used one based on good reviews, but so far have found it adds an unacceptable amount of noise. I made a couple of tries to try to get it to work, following the instruction manual on setting gains, and did not succeed.

I’m not quite ready to give up. Can those of you that have made it work for you, share some tips on how you are setting gain and volume across your pickup, the Session, and then your main preamp pedal?
I have no issues or noise of any kind.

What kind of noise?
Old 10-13-2021, 04:17 PM

It's the standard "noise floor" white noise you'd hear on a piece of equipment where there is a gain problem. Kind of like if I had the gain on my active pickup turned way down and then the gain turned up on the floor preamp. I can only hear it when the Align is engaged, goes away if I use the foot switch to disengage the unit. Also goes away when I take the Align complete out of the circuit.

I am pretty sure it's NOT 60 hz hum or other electrical interference -- I tried a couple of positions to physically isolate the device from cords, my other pedals, etc. and still got the noise. And the rest of my board is whisper quiet (even when the Align is plugged in but disengaged).
Old 10-13-2021, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
It's the standard "noise floor" white noise you'd hear on a piece of equipment where there is a gain problem. Kind of like if I had the gain on my active pickup turned way down and then the gain turned up on the floor preamp. I can only hear it when the Align is engaged, goes away if I use the foot switch to disengage the unit. Also goes away when I take the Align complete out of the circuit.

I am pretty sure it's NOT 60 hz hum or other electrical interference -- I tried a couple of positions to physically isolate the device from cords, my other pedals, etc. and still got the noise. And the rest of my board is whisper quiet (even when the Align is plugged in but disengaged).
Did you say you bought it second hand? If it was me I'd send the pedal to LR Baggs for a checkup. It shouldn't be that noisy.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:37 PM

Mine is "Whisper" quiet.. Engaged it adds no noticeable audible "noise" what so ever.
Old 10-14-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:

Mine is dead silent, absolutely zero noise.

But i am not a fan of the compressor eq, it rolls off low frequencies for some reason.
Not a good compressor. multiband or not, what is the meaning of rolling off lows when compressing?
I kept the becos stella iq for compression.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification