The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-12-2021, 02:47 PM

Default New Furch Crossover Nylon String

It's not a new guitar day, but I have a new Furch Crossover. I received it back in July so I've had time to play and see how I will bond with it.

I started out with some clear ideas what I wanted:

1. narrower neck. I had an Applegate crossover which was a beautiful guitar and sounded great but at 50mm I could never adjust to the neck. I wanted a max of 48mm.
2. a cutaway. You can argue the pros and cons, but it is what I wanted.
3. a radius fretboard.
4. if it had a pickup, no barn door.

I was looking very hard at the Kenny Hill New World. It checked all the boxes, although I had seen people say it was basically the same as Cordobas that were made in the same factory.

Then I saw that Furch made a crossover. With all the positive reviews I've seen of Furch in general, I started to do some research on it. There were a couple of things about it, it's bracing pattern is more like a steel string and it's nut size is 1 3/4.

That nut size caused me concern. Was it too narrow. I started asking about that and I got a lot of responses that it would be really narrow. I talked to both Heartbreaker Guitars and Fretted Buffalo about it, they said they saw no problems with the nut width.

Bill told me he could get me one with a sinker redwood top. Again a personal choice but I am a fool for redwood so while it was a significant premium in price I went ahead and ordered it. Bill and I had talked about whether I could return it if I didn't like it.

So the guitar came in. The build quality is very good. I've read people compare the Furch to Taylor on build quality. I'd say that is very accurate. I can't find any issues. The redwood top is great, the rosewood is dark, straight grained, very nice. It has tortise binding, given the choice I would have selected bloodwood but nothing wrong with the tortoise. The neck is satin and feels great. As far as the build, there is nothing to complain about.

The sound is good. It was a little thin, at first. It seems like every time I play it it settles in deeper and more resonate. I knew at the end of the first week that I liked what I heard. I'm not going to tell you that it is the best sound ever, just that I like the sound.

It came with the Baggs EAS-VTC pickup system. That is not the pickup I would have chosen but it sounds fine the couple of times I've plugged it it. I suppose if I decide there is a problem I can always replace it. No desire to do that at the moment.

OK, my thoughts on the 1 3/4 nut width. The problem I had with the 50mm width was that going back and forth between my steel string and nylon string was a problem. Maybe I have a spastic little finger on my left (fretting) hand but I could never consistently fret the E & B strings on the 3rd fret. I'd miss the string.

I have no issues with this guitar. I am able to fret cleanly. I don't have any issue with string buzz. It works just fine for me. I know this something that will be specific with each player. I also know that I am not a trained classical player so that also maybe part of why it works for me.

End of story, I got a guitar that is beautiful, that sounds great and I like to play. I'd say I checked all the boxes.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-12-2021, 03:02 PM

Furch are amazing and I’m considering a hybrid nylon for when I can afford it - it’s at the top of my list of options!

Thanks for sharing your experiences!
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-12-2021, 03:47 PM

What?! No photos?

Old 10-12-2021, 05:25 PM

Congratulations Jayhawk!

Can you explain what the process was? For example, do you go with one of their GNc models and then get to make some modifications?

Or can you start from scratch and give them dimensions for things like body size, scale length, and nut size?

Thanks so much!
Old 10-12-2021, 07:58 PM

Mike

It really wasn’t much of a process. I was going going to get the Gnc4-CR. When I talked to Bill at Fretted Buffalo he told me there was one coming in with the Sinker Redwood. I asked him how much it would be. I swallowed hard when he told me but after I thought about it for a while and told him I would take it. I love redwood. I already have a custom Taylor GA with Sinker Redwood and Walnut that I love so getting this one was an easy decision. My only concern was whether the nylon strings could generate enough energy for the redwood. Doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I’ll post some pictures, soon. I used to use photo bucket and I need to get a new cloud repository.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 10-13-2021, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Mike

It really wasn’t much of a process. I was going going to get the Gnc4-CR. When I talked to Bill at Fretted Buffalo he told me there was one coming in with the Sinker Redwood. I asked him how much it would be. I swallowed hard when he told me but after I thought about it for a while and told him I would take it. I love redwood. I already have a custom Taylor GA with Sinker Redwood and Walnut that I love so getting this one was an easy decision. My only concern was whether the nylon strings could generate enough energy for the redwood. Doesn’t seem to be a problem.

I’ll post some pictures, soon. I used to use photo bucket and I need to get a new cloud repository.

Jack

If you use the Tapatalk app you can post direct from there.
Gibson ES-335 Studio 2016; Furch OM34sr 2015; Fender MiJ Geddy Lee Jazz bass, 2009; Taylor 414CE 2005; Guild D35 NT 1976; Fender MIM Classic 60s Tele 2008; Fender US Standard Strat 1992; G&L ASAT classic hollowbody 2005; Ibanez RG350MDX 2010(?); Ibanez Musician fretless, 1980s; Seymour Duncan Tube 84-40; Vox AC4TV;

Ex-pat Brit in Sweden
Old 10-13-2021, 03:32 PM

Thanks. Didn't know that.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 03-18-2022, 06:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimelie View Post
What?! No photos?
not the OP, but this showed up earlier this week. It is so good, I literally ordered an Orange OMc an hour after it landed.

“Sometimes science is more art than science…” - Rick Sanchez
Old 03-19-2022, 03:59 AM

What a beautiful guitar! Congratulations!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical