The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-11-2021, 10:44 AM

Default Resonators biscuits vs spider

I bought a cheap Rogue biscuit resonator and have been messing around with it strummed and slide. I thought I would upgrade a bit and bought a Gretsch 9200 Boxcar. Once it came in, I put on some fresh strings and played. It doesn't sound like a resonator, it sounds like a cheap guitar. I expected a smoother sound than the biscuit but, no clang? I was looking to expand my sound choices but I think the Gretsch won't fill the bill.

Any comments on the different sounds of a biscuit and spider resonators?
Old 10-11-2021, 11:14 AM

In broad general terms a spider will have a sweeter sound with more sustain and a biscuit will be more brash and louder. Many things affect the sound though, quality of the cone, construction of the guitar, wood vs metal etc... Depending on the sound and style you are looking for one may be better than the other. Again in broad general terms, a spider is more associated with country music and played lap style, high nut. Biscuit resonators are more associated with delta blues styles and bottle neck slide especially metal body models.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilca View Post
I bought a cheap Rogue biscuit resonator and have been messing around with it strummed and slide. I thought I would upgrade a bit and bought a Gretsch 9200 Boxcar. Once it came in, I put on some fresh strings and played. It doesn't sound like a resonator, it sounds like a cheap guitar. I expected a smoother sound than the biscuit but, no clang? I was looking to expand my sound choices but I think the Gretsch won't fill the bill.

Any comments on the different sounds of a biscuit and spider resonators?
1: a G9200 isn’t what I would call an expensive reso. More of a starter…
2: like my steel body G9221, they have a “clang” adjustment screw in the center of the bridge. also a bit of a starter guitar.
3: maybe the wood body gretsch isn’t your answer, I do like the noise coming from my G9221.
Old 10-11-2021, 12:12 PM
Guitar Gourmet

HERE
is my review of the Gretsch G9202 "Honey Dipper Special" bell brass biscuit bride guitar. In the review I created a sllding scale comparing response from balanced to midrangy and factoring in bridge type and body type. Maybe it will be of some help.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-11-2021, 05:01 PM

Thanks guys. I listened to the Honey Dipper and the Bobtail on line. I liked both for different reasons.

I changed the tuning to open D, my Boxcar sounded a bit better but I still think I am going to return it. I think I need a metal body.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:59 PM

The metal body resos are very heavy, so be aware of that.
Old 10-11-2021, 06:24 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDB View Post
The metal body resos are very heavy, so be aware of that.
Very.

Bob

Old 10-11-2021, 07:14 PM

Some time ago I found a store that had two Boxcars, identical models. I played them both. One sounded great, the other like pants. So it can vary.

Having said that when I've come across them after that and tried them they were pretty good, one in particular that I absolutely loved - so much so that I seriously considered selling off some stuff to get one. So maybe you got a dud - or perhaps get a luthier to give it a once over.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 10-11-2021, 07:46 PM

I've never owned a biscuit bridge instrument. I was looking for a round neck resonator guitar for a while. Without intentionally being a snob, I'll say that I'm done buying entry level anything now. So I didn't try anything by Rogue, Recording King, Washburn, any Saga brand, etc.

I did try the various Gretsch models in Seattle, about 3 hour's drive away. They didn't sound good to me. I was considering going high end or custom, when I ran across the Gold Tone Paul Beard Signature model. Couldn't find one to try so I took a chance on ordering one from Gold Tone. They set it up per my specs and shipped to me in a couple weeks for under $1000. Got it a little over a year ago.

I'm very happy with it. It is sweet sounding, which is what I was after.
Old 10-16-2021, 11:30 AM

Default Gretsch Honey Dipper

I have the biscuit brass-bodied Honey Dipper. It's a old-school Delta blues machine. I stayed up until 2am playing it the first evening I got it. I love my biscuit!
Old 10-16-2021, 11:47 AM

I returned the Gretsch and started thinking perhaps a cone change on the Rogue would help that sound a bit clearer. Did some research and the National cones appear to be the crowd favorite.

Any thoughts on cone preferences?
Old 10-16-2021, 04:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If you read my page, linked to above, it included an update about the cone collapsing. I replaced it with a Beard cone and have been very happy.

Bob

Old 10-17-2021, 03:58 PM

I did read your page and saw the Beard cone replacement, thanks for that info. Is there a reason you chose the Beard over the National?
Old 10-19-2021, 04:58 PM

If your guitar has a 9.5" cone, there is one from National that I could recommend. A few years back I had one of those Rogue CB-60 bell-brass resos that actually sounded OK for under $300.00, but I wanted improvement.

I ordered a National 'Hot Rod' cone and installed that; it also came with a National maple biscuit, so put that in as well (while I was at it, I put in some Gotoh #1951 tuners that were far superior to the stock ones).

HUGE difference...thumping low end, bright, singing highs, blues-approved howling mids, ringing sustain/harmonics. The guy I eventually sold it to on Reverb commented that he had to really focus on the tone to tell the difference between the Rogue and his $3000.00-plus National.

I never tried the cone available from Beard, but my guess is that those are probably pretty good too. I went with the National because I think I read somewhere that they were the loudest after-market cone available
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 10-19-2021, 05:52 PM
Charter Member

It's all about the cones and supporting mechanism.

Whilst National also made square necks, and Dobro round necks, the National "biscuit" arrangement was really designed as a loud rhythm guitar in dance bands - like archtops, and the Dobro, spider style was largely intended as a Hawaiian lap style.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments