The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 10-09-2021, 12:49 PM

Default Bob Mould - See A Little Light and The Judybats - Daylight (Covers)

Two-for-one Saturday! A quick rendition of Bob Mould's 'See a Little Light' with no overdubs, edits, etc (my daughter had classmates coming over imminently and under no circumstances was I to be trying to sing when they arrived).

The Judybats' 'Daylight' has a bit more going on with multiple tracks and a couple of instruments.

I hope you enjoy these circa 1990 covers!

-Dave

Old 10-10-2021, 07:23 PM
Charter Member

Hi Dave,

Nice job! Both songs were new to me, but I enjoyed them both!

Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your talents!

- Glenn
Old 10-10-2021, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Dave,

Nice job! Both songs were new to me, but I enjoyed them both!

Thanks for your efforts and for sharing your talents!

- Glenn

Thanks Glenn for the kind words! You are always so supportive, it’s truly encouraging as I try to get better at this.

If you’ve never listened to Bob Mould’s album Workbook, I highly recommend it. It’s a mostly acoustic turn from a hugely inspirational leader in the punk/alternative scene. While you are likely not a big punk fan, I think that album would be something you would enjoy.

Thanks again for watching and commenting. Hope all is well with you and the family.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-11-2021, 08:46 AM

I was in the periphery* of the Twin Cities scene in the late 70s-early 80s when Husker Du was coming up -- so lots of respect here for Mould -- but more specifically I like how you are expanding the kinds of cover versions we see here in Show and Tell.

*my band's only "official" recording was largely produced and recorded by the guy who did the famous early Husker Du demos and their first single.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-11-2021, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I was in the periphery* of the Twin Cities scene in the late 70s-early 80s when Husker Du was coming up -- so lots of respect here for Mould -- but more specifically I like how you are expanding the kinds of cover versions we see here in Show and Tell.

*my band's only "official" recording was largely produced and recorded by the guy who did the famous early Husker Du demos and their first single.

Hey Frank! Thanks so much for the comment, and I am truly flattered you think I’m adding something here to AGF. I certainly am having fun doing these covers, experimenting, and trying to get better.

Neat story about working with the Husker Du connection. What is your band? I’d be curious to listen.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-12-2021, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Hey Frank! Thanks so much for the comment, and I am truly flattered you think I’m adding something here to AGF. I certainly am having fun doing these covers, experimenting, and trying to get better.

Neat story about working with the Husker Du connection. What is your band? I’d be curious to listen.

Cheers,

Dave
I'll respond with too much stuff, but whatever. I don't have much of the late 70s stuff in digital format, and it was kind of awkward interval as were transitioning from an acoustic "punk folk" thing to electric instruments we were new to. But here's a spread of other things:

This one has Husker Du content (written, recorded after Grant Hart died) -- but it's a one-man-band recording. Also far from acoustic.

Garden Elegy (For Grant Hart)

The above link will open a new tab with the player to hear that.

Acoustic? Here's one of my band's songs done solo acoustic

Covers of songs from the 80s? Here's the electric band doing a Robyn Hitchcock number. Warning: this one runs longer than a winter solstice night

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 10-13-2021, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
I'll respond with too much stuff, but whatever. I don't have much of the late 70s stuff in digital format, and it was kind of awkward interval as were transitioning from an acoustic "punk folk" thing to electric instruments we were new to. But here's a spread of other things:

This one has Husker Du content (written, recorded after Grant Hart died) -- but it's a one-man-band recording. Also far from acoustic.

Garden Elegy (For Grant Hart)

The above link will open a new tab with the player to hear that.

Acoustic? Here's one of my band's songs done solo acoustic

Covers of songs from the 80s? Here's the electric band doing a Robyn Hitchcock number. Warning: this one runs longer than a winter solstice night

Wow, Frank. All great stuff!

On the Garden Elegy, I found myself really digging the complexities of the drum and bass. Not a typical time signature, and while it had a noisy sound from the guitars, there was a lot going on with the rhythm section. And reading the lyrics on your website and more of the history made the vocals shine.

A completely different turn with the Netherlands song - quite enjoyable, and a bit of a lament. A completely different side.

Finally, the Hitchcock cover took me back to my college days of alternative and bands that were patient enough to spend the time to play around with a song for a full six minutes. And being an east coast transplant to the mild winters of the CA Bay Area, the pics on the slideshow were nostalgic.

Thanks again for watching my original post, for the kind comments, and for sharing some truly fun stuff of your own!

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-13-2021, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbitterdave View Post
Wow, Frank. All great stuff!

On the Garden Elegy, I found myself really digging the complexities of the drum and bass. Not a typical time signature, and while it had a noisy sound from the guitars, there was a lot going on with the rhythm section. And reading the lyrics on your website and more of the history made the vocals shine.

A completely different turn with the Netherlands song - quite enjoyable, and a bit of a lament. A completely different side.

Finally, the Hitchcock cover took me back to my college days of alternative and bands that were patient enough to spend the time to play around with a song for a full six minutes. And being an east coast transplant to the mild winters of the CA Bay Area, the pics on the slideshow were nostalgic.

Thanks again for watching my original post, for the kind comments, and for sharing some truly fun stuff of your own!

Cheers,

Dave
On "Garden Elegy" I think I was trying to unleash my inner John Entwistle on bass. That doesn't always work, but I like how it came out that time.

Thanks for listening. And I look forward to hearing more of range of covers here.

Old 10-13-2021, 01:56 PM
Charter Member

LOVE both of these covers! I haven't listened to the Judybats in forever, but
I'm a lifelong Bob Mould fan, probably starting with "Zen Arcade" and right up through present day. His solo band is monstrous, and in 2015, I took my two kids to see their first real concerts. It was a back-to-back weekend with G. Love & Special Sauce and a Bob Mould solo electric gig for about 100 people. We were right up front, and at the end of the show, Bob hung out with the crowd and high-fived my (then) 10yo daughter on stage.

And this Ryan Adams cover of Mould's "Black Sheets Of Rain" is amazing! Go to 2:25 to get past his tuning and talking.

Old 10-14-2021, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
LOVE both of these covers! I haven't listened to the Judybats in forever, but
I'm a lifelong Bob Mould fan, probably starting with "Zen Arcade" and right up through present day. His solo band is monstrous, and in 2015, I took my two kids to see their first real concerts. It was a back-to-back weekend with G. Love & Special Sauce and a Bob Mould solo electric gig for about 100 people. We were right up front, and at the end of the show, Bob hung out with the crowd and high-fived my (then) 10yo daughter on stage.

And this Ryan Adams cover of Mould's "Black Sheets Of Rain" is amazing! Go to 2:25 to get past his tuning and talking.

Hey, wow, thanks for the LOVE! Glad you got a kick out of them.

I think the Judybats had a couple of great albums, which I still listen to (obviously), but I get that they are a bit obscure for most. Glad someone remembers them!

And that Ryan Adams version was super. Such a different arrangement with a real focus on the lyrics which I’ll admit I seem to gloss over when listening to the original. Fun to see how others (with a ton of talent) can create such original interpretations of songs I love.

And what a way to introduce your kids to concerts! I’ve see Bob a few times and there’s always a ton of energy. I’m sure it was a blast.

Thanks for the comments and for sharing your story (and the Ryan adams
link).

Cheers,

Dave
Old 10-21-2021, 10:08 PM
Charter Member

You're welcome. Glad you enjoyed the video, as well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell