The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-11-2021, 06:23 PM

Hoping you have a great result with your install! I never played with the trim control, but I really should have before I ripped it out. For me, the Amulet was just too thin/bright sounding, but a lot of people love it.
Old 10-12-2021, 05:46 AM
Guest 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Hoping you have a great result with your install! I never played with the trim control, but I really should have before I ripped it out. For me, the Amulet was just too thin/bright sounding, but a lot of people love it.
I’ve had two amulet ms in two different guitars and from the first one I played I was wowed by the tone. Based on initial results of the temp install and the sound of each lens as I mounted them I think that I will be pleased. I guess I will find out after work tonight when I finally finish this install.

Petty did you have the VT module? Both of my previous installs had the MVT option and I never ran the system at full treble I always thought full treble was thin and bright as well, but found dialing back the tone made for a great sound.
Old 10-12-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by static111 View Post
I’ve had two amulet ms in two different guitars and from the first one I played I was wowed by the tone. Based on initial results of the temp install and the sound of each lens as I mounted them I think that I will be pleased. I guess I will find out after work tonight when I finally finish this install.

Petty did you have the VT module? Both of my previous installs had the MVT option and I never ran the system at full treble I always thought full treble was thin and bright as well, but found dialing back the tone made for a great sound.
Sorry about that, I forgot you had mentioned using the Amulet before.

I had the VT model. For me, it was either too bright or too muddy. I could never find a perfect blend. I can see why people love it though, it just didn't work in my particular guitar.
Old 10-12-2021, 06:53 PM
Guest 2223

Well it appears I had an improperly bonded bass side amulet. The initial install when both pickups were plugged in and I was adjusting the trim pot had some problems. If bass was in The a input I had to crank it to match the treble amulet and it was still a little stiff. If I plugged the treble side into A I had to turn it all the way down to match the bass side and that produced a pretty bland tone with the treble sensor still hotter than the bass side.

I called Trance and talked to Gary and he gave me some pointers and said it sounded like the amulet wasn’t properly bonded. So I have popped off the bass side lens, and prepped the bridge plate again. I am going to try reinstall the sensor in the same spot and really take my time listening and tightening the clamp. Hopefully I get the proper bond and placement tonight and I can report back with some good news tomorrow evening.
Old 10-13-2021, 03:33 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well it appears I had an improperly bonded bass side amulet. The initial install when both pickups were plugged in and I was adjusting the trim pot had some problems. If bass was in The a input I had to crank it to match the treble amulet and it was still a little stiff. If I plugged the treble side into A I had to turn it all the way down to match the bass side and that produced a pretty bland tone with the treble sensor still hotter than the bass side.

I called Trance and talked to Gary and he gave me some pointers and said it sounded like the amulet wasn’t properly bonded. So I have popped off the bass side lens, and prepped the bridge plate again. I am going to try reinstall the sensor in the same spot and really take my time listening and tightening the clamp. Hopefully I get the proper bond and placement tonight and I can report back with some good news tomorrow evening.
Make sure you don't get any debris between the Amulets and bridge plate and that's why I use the template to draw pencil lines for the Amulet locations and not as a bumper guide to position the Amulets. Also, try not to get any part of the edge of the adhesive folded over on itself which would act to keep part of the Amulet from making intimate contact with the bridge plate. All The Best!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-13-2021 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:11 PM
Guest 2223

Well round two had similar poor results to round one. I have removed both lenses and am going to start over from scratch. I won’t get a chance until later next week as I am heading out of town. It is really a drag to be without my guitar for so long.

Next install I am going to swap lenses and put the one that was on the treble side under the bass and vice versa. I will also move the pickups slightly towards the bridge pins, I learned after speaking on the phone with Gary that some Gibsons get a better tone when the lenses are moved slightly off center of the saddle line and towards the bridge pins.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:35 PM

Sorry to say, but I think this is why most folks don't bother with the Trance Amulet. That and all the sound clips I've ever heard, it doesn't sound any better than K&K or Dazzo. All the best and hope you get things worked out and it ends up sounding amazing for you!
Old 10-13-2021, 08:08 PM
Guest 2223

I have been more than pleased in the past. I’m thinking I need to be patient or barring that send it somewhere to be properly set up, when my patience fails.
Old 10-13-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamison162 View Post
Sorry to say, but I think this is why most folks don't bother with the Trance Amulet. That and all the sound clips I've ever heard, it doesn't sound any better than K&K or Dazzo. All the best and hope you get things worked out and it ends up sounding amazing for you!
IMO, the major benefit of the Amulet is the tape installation. It's less permanent and easier to remove. In terms of tone, I agree, I don't find it to sound any better than the K&K or Dazzo. That's not a knock on the Amulet, I just don't feel it's superior to the other two systems.

On a side note, I was at a wedding this weekend where a solo guitarist was playing during the ceremony and cocktail hour. His tone was incredible. I asked him what he was using and sure enough, it was the K&K. I could see he had the internal gooseneck mic that K&K offer as a dual source so I know that was part of it during the ceremony but during the cocktail hour, he was quite loud so I am pretty sure it was just the pure mini.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well round two had similar poor results to round one. I have removed both lenses and am going to start over from scratch. I won’t get a chance until later next week as I am heading out of town. It is really a drag to be without my guitar for so long.

Next install I am going to swap lenses and put the one that was on the treble side under the bass and vice versa. I will also move the pickups slightly towards the bridge pins, I learned after speaking on the phone with Gary that some Gibsons get a better tone when the lenses are moved slightly off center of the saddle line and towards the bridge pins.
You could get a Stew-Mac Soundhole C-clamp and try my method? Use the template to pencil in the location lines, remove the template, and then apply the Amulets by looking through the bridge-pin holes with LED lights and a mirror inside the guitar for good viewing.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-14-2021 at 03:32 AM.
Old 10-14-2021, 03:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
IMO, the major benefit of the Amulet is the tape installation. It's less permanent and easier to remove. In terms of tone, I agree, I don't find it to sound any better than the K&K or Dazzo. That's not a knock on the Amulet, I just don't feel it's superior to the other two systems.

On a side note, I was at a wedding this weekend where a solo guitarist was playing during the ceremony and cocktail hour. His tone was incredible. I asked him what he was using and sure enough, it was the K&K. I could see he had the internal gooseneck mic that K&K offer as a dual source so I know that was part of it during the ceremony but during the cocktail hour, he was quite loud so I am pretty sure it was just the pure mini.
Scott, let's face it, they're all piezo-based SBT pickups and they're as good as it gets until something revolutionary comes along.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 10-14-2021, 05:58 AM
Guest 2223

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
You could get a Stew-Mac Soundhole C-clamp and try my method? Use the template to pencil in the location lines, remove the template, and then apply the Amulets by looking through the bridge-pin holes with LED lights and a mirror inside the guitar for good viewing.
I think I may give those clamps a try. Off hand do you know what the stew Mac inventory number or ordering page for those clamps is?
Old 10-14-2021, 07:01 AM

My experience is very close to static111

I would consider sending the guitar to Maury...
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 10-14-2021, 11:32 AM
Guest 2223

What did you do to remedy your situation? I’m gonna be talking with Gary again this evening so I’m sure he will have some good suggestions. Just wondering what worked for you and what problems you had before you got things properly set up?
Old 10-14-2021, 12:20 PM

Quote:
What did you do to remedy your situation? I’m gonna be talking with Gary again this evening so I’m sure he will have some good suggestions. Just wondering what worked for you and what problems you had before you got things properly set up?
1) tune the Tone pot about halfway as in Doug Young video
Or
2) Make a custom IR

I did one perfect install “à la Maury” but I am adventurous and I wanted to try other install… I could never make another one.

Note that I have been experimenting a lot with SBT pickup trying different design and I can say that it is not the Amulet’s fault.

Guitar and SBT sometimes match and sometime don’t… It is a symbiosis.

There is no “universal” pickup. Just good match. Doug Young told me that and everything I experimented confirmed that.

PS: I am sure Gary Hull, Teddy Randazzo and James May will not agree but they have worked much more than me in perfecting their craft.
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification