The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 10-07-2021, 10:22 PM

Default What is your go to string? brand/gauge/coating etc.

Electric players. What are your go to strings that you use for your electric guitars...

I had more or less settled on D'Addario XL Nickel Wound strings they're very affordable, sound great and they became the main ones i put on my strat but lately i've been thinking i'm going to be a turncoat and go for the XL Pure Nickel ones as my main string.... 10-45 gauge to be exact.

I was interested to try them since id heard they're supposed to provide more of a warmer, vintage tone so i bought a set put them on my strat as a test to see what they were like and they're AMAZING! its hard to explain but the sound is just deeper and more complex, and yes I guess i could say it sounds a bit warmer, there seems to be a little more sustain in them as well, if im holding a note or a chord or whatever it doesn't die out as quick as it seems to with the nickel wounds... I play through a Strauss SVT tube amp and the sound is just heavenly after they've had a few days to settle in.

All in all i love D'Addario Pure Nickels and i'm definitely buying them again for my strat =P Interested if anyone of you guys have tried these strings on your Fenders and what did you think?
Old 10-08-2021, 06:13 AM

D'Addario Chromes flatwounds - 10-48/11-50/12-52/13-56 depending on the instrument...
Old 10-08-2021, 06:22 AM

Usually Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, but recently SIT strings. I play 9's. Used to use 10's, but don't find much of a difference other than the 9's seem easier to bend.

Try the SIT strings and help out my fellow Ohioan at Lay's Guitar Repair. They are cheap - in the 4 buck range per set.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
Electric players. What are your go to strings that you use for your electric guitars...

I had more or less settled on D'Addario XL Nickel Wound strings they're very affordable, sound great and they became the main ones i put on my strat but lately i've been thinking i'm going to be a turncoat and go for the XL Pure Nickel ones as my main string.... 10-45 gauge to be exact.

I was interested to try them since id heard they're supposed to provide more of a warmer, vintage tone so i bought a set put them on my strat as a test to see what they were like and they're AMAZING! its hard to explain but the sound is just deeper and more complex, and yes I guess i could say it sounds a bit warmer, there seems to be a little more sustain in them as well, if im holding a note or a chord or whatever it doesn't die out as quick as it seems to with the nickel wounds... I play through a Strauss SVT tube amp and the sound is just heavenly after they've had a few days to settle in.

All in all i love D'Addario Pure Nickels and i'm definitely buying them again for my strat =P Interested if anyone of you guys have tried these strings on your Fenders and what did you think?
"Curt Mangan Fusion Matched Nickel Wound Electric Guitar Strings" , 10-46. The best I've used by a long shot.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:06 AM

Flat wound 11-50's, usually D'Addario Chromes. But I have experimented with T-I Jazz Swings, DR Legends and GHS Precision. Overall, it's pretty hard to beat the Chromes for sound and price.
Old 10-08-2021, 08:21 AM

mine are D'Addario XL110s,, been that way for a time out of mind..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 10-08-2021, 09:31 AM

After trying out many makes over the past few of years I found that each of my guitars works best with a particular string and have settled on this list

I use a heavier string than most so this may not apply for anyone else:

I have two teles:
60's Baja has Pyramid Round Core Nickel Classics
Ash FSR with A2s uses Rotosound Top Tape Flatwounds

my Harmony Juno with P90s has Stringjoy Broadways

my Godin Kingpin with a P90 has Martin Retro Monels

Last edited by Dadzmad; 10-08-2021 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodger View Post
Usually Ernie Ball Super Slinkys, but recently SIT strings. I play 9's. Used to use 10's, but don't find much of a difference other than the 9's seem easier to bend.

Try the SIT strings and help out my fellow Ohioan at Lay's Guitar Repair. They are cheap - in the 4 buck range per set.
Ernie Ball Super Slinkys 9s (pink package) for some guitars and Regular Slinkys 10s (light yellow-ish/ green-ish) for others. I recently bought the Darco bulk strings from Strings and Beyond and I've put them on a couple of electrics that I don't play often last week-end. I have to play those guitars a little more to find out if I like the way they feel.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:37 PM

I've tried a number of brands and they're all good enough that I don't really have a preference. (9's or 10's but probably prefer 10's).
Old 10-08-2021, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Most of my guitars are strung with either XL or Super Slinky. I use .11 gauge strings on most of my guitars, even my strat and tele.

Last edited by BoneDigger; 10-08-2021 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoneDigger View Post
...I use .11 gauge strings on most of my guitars, even my Strat and Tele.
Leo strung 'em with flatwound 12's back in the day, and I followed suit on both my Strat and since-sold '52 Tele RI; major difference in tone IME - classic Fender clarity and twang without sounding metallic and thin...
Old 10-09-2021, 12:19 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxHound4690 View Post
...All in all i love D'Addario Pure Nickels and i'm definitely buying them again for my strat =P Interested if anyone of you guys have tried these strings on your Fenders and what did you think?
I have not tried D'Addario pure nickel strings, but I will. I just ordered some to see what they are like.

- Glenn
Old 10-09-2021, 05:24 AM

I have been using Fender 250r nickel plated steel strings in 10 13 17 26 36 46 for as long as i can remember. They are supremely comfortable and have a good service life even with a very hard hitter like me banging and bending away on them. I use them across the board with 2 strats, a jazzmaster, a LesPaul and a ValleyArts semi hollow. Each with different scale lengths and/or fret board materials. They consistently deliver the feel and quality i have come to expect. Very inexpensive and Highly recommended.

Last edited by Chickee; 10-09-2021 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-09-2021, 06:07 AM
Guitar Gourmet

For years it was Fender Rock n Roll Extra Lights (nickel plated steel, .009). When Fender started making pure nickel again I started buying both 150s and 250s, nickel plated steel for the ES-335 and pure nickel for the Les Pauls. The ES came with Gibson Brite Wires (nickel plated) but the Fenders are quite a bit cheaper and sound the same to me.

I joined the Guitar Center Strings of the Month Club (RIP) for a few years until it died. The only downside was that you had to use whatever they had in the store. Because it was their most reliable brand I tried Ernie Ball Super Slinkys (,009) and noticed no significant change in sound so that became the club go-to. I still have a ridiculously full string box from that club.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-09-2021, 02:53 PM
Charter Member

For decades, I used D'Addario XL110's on my Gibson 345...

Then I had a Taylor T-5 for a few years, nad it came strung with Elixir (natch!) electric strings, 11's...

Although I sold the guitar after owning it for 8 or 9 years, I came to appreciate those Elixir electric strings... the original set on that T-5 were on there for ~7 years, with no deterioration or intonation problems!

I play electric guitar infrequently enough that I love having a good sounding string on there that lasts for a LOOOOONG time, so I use the Elixir Nanoweb electric set, 11's w/ unwound 3rd. I actually have a set of the Elixir Optima electric strings; have had them for a few years now, but the ones on the guitar are still so good that I haven't even considered changing them out!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars