The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-30-2021, 12:41 PM

Default Emerald pickup modification/addition?

I have my RainSong BI Jumbo, with the Fishman Prefix+T onboard preamp, and my X30 with the LR Baggs Anthem.

I've come across a few situations now, where either myself, or someone else playing my X30 have had a problem with the X30.

This is played at church, and the one young woman there has had a terrible time with her guitar, and so she has borrowed both my RainSong and the X30. I like her to use the X30 as she of course is much smaller than I am, and the huge RainSong Jumbo just looks to be as big as she is. The X30 fts her nicer, and so we came across some issues that I don't experience. She has issues with feedback, and I have on great rare occasions as well, when I am playing it. For me its an occasional consistant deep "resonance" on my low E string. It's not building feedback level, but it is self sustaining. After finishing a song, I will palm mute the strings, or at least bump my thumb to stop the low E from making some light noise. She will get hard feedback, I assume from her height being much less, the soundhole on the X30 is at the perfect height for the monitor. The X30 is just SOOO deep and powerful on the low end, it really seems to have a tough time with that low E resonance as well.
The last time I played it, the sound box asked if I could turn down my bass level, as the nature of the songs just felt too dark with the X30's deep tone, and they wanted a higher tone. Of course, I had to tell them I can't, and they'd have to do it on the board.
Well, so what I did then was capo up a bit. I much prefer the sound of open strings, so I don't want to capo up to bring the tone up (outside of when it's desired for the song by me the player). On the Rainsong, I can just tone down the bass response, bring up the treble, and brilliance. I can also of course help correct for feedback a bit with my notch.

SO - Is it possible to add something like the Fishman Prefix+T to my X30, using existing pickups from the LR Baggs? I like the LR Bagg's sound quality from the piezzo (sounds less "quacky") and I like mixing in a bit of mic. I will admit I think the RainSong's pickup just doesn't "QUITE" sound as nice as the LR Baggs. Just wondering if it is possible to get the preamp itself, and then wire it in to the Anthem somehow.
Roadmapping my thought - The Anthem as the first pickup, so you can then blend the Anthem's piezzo and mic if desired. Volume the whole way up sending from the Athem. This goes into the Prefix+T, which then allows me to change bass/treble/brilliance/contour/notch/phase. This then sends out to the system. Is this viable, or am I just being stupid?

It would also be nice to have an on board tuner, which the X30 currently does NOT!

*EDIT*. I just saw LR Baggs has the "StagePro Anthem", which looks like it would do exactly what I was thinking.
I might be making the simple very complex.

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 09-30-2021 at 01:58 PM.
Old 09-30-2021, 01:53 PM

I wish I could answer this for you, but can't. If you don't find anyone in the Carbon Fiber section to help, let me know and I can move this thread to acoustic amplification and you may get further help there.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:06 PM

You could get the features you want by upgrading from the “regular” Anthem to the Stagepro version. However the Stagepro will require a barn door-style install (tech will have to cut a hole in the side of your guitar). So it’s pretty invasive. Most guitar owners would try to avoid that approach. Also expensive. $400 for the Stagepro plus install costs.

It’s not really feasible to go with your original idea of wiring an Anthem to a Fishman preamp.

If it were me, I would investigate an off board preamp that has the bass control and EQ functionality. The floor pedal models have the best features. Look at the Fishman Platinum, Baggs Venue, and many others. You’ll find ones with a wide range of price points, from $200 for bare-bones ones up to $1000+ for boutique ones. The downside is that they do go on the floor and either require a power supply or eat up batteries pretty fast.

The other option would be to go with something like a Baggs Gigpro. It’s a belt clip mounted pre-amp. It would give you at least some EQ capabilities. About $100 or so. Less features than the floor pedals but then it doesn’t tie you down to a floor pedal either. Some people just don’t like pedals so this is a good option if that description fits you.
Old 09-30-2021, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueStarfish View Post
You could get the features you want by upgrading from the “regular” Anthem to the Stagepro version. However the Stagepro will require a barn door-style install (tech will have to cut a hole in the side of your guitar). So it’s pretty invasive. Most guitar owners would try to avoid that approach. Also expensive. $400 for the Stagepro plus install costs.

It’s not really feasible to go with your original idea of wiring an Anthem to a Fishman preamp.

If it were me, I would investigate an off board preamp that has the bass control and EQ functionality. The floor pedal models have the best features. Look at the Fishman Platinum, Baggs Venue, and many others. You’ll find ones with a wide range of price points, from $200 for bare-bones ones up to $1000+ for boutique ones. The downside is that they do go on the floor and either require a power supply or eat up batteries pretty fast.

The other option would be to go with something like a Baggs Gigpro. It’s a belt clip mounted pre-amp. It would give you at least some EQ capabilities. About $100 or so. Less features than the floor pedals but then it doesn’t tie you down to a floor pedal either. Some people just don’t like pedals so this is a good option if that description fits you.
I saw they have an acoustic preamp box, but I was looking for something onboard to avoid more external hookups, and something else to worry about a power source for or to worry about having along.

As far as install an being invasive - the thought of cutting a hole in the side of my X30 is not my most favorite, but I realllllly like the setup on the RainSong.
I'm not concerned with installing it myself, just looking for the best option. But yeah, I think that Anthem Stage Pro is exactly what I'm thinking about. I just made the post before I saw it. Figured I'd leave it up though to get others' insight.
Old 09-30-2021, 04:48 PM

I apologize in advance for the fact that what I’m going to propose is for future X30 owners will not be helpful for you. Back when you could buy a Krivo humbucker I purchased one and had it installed in my X30. It replaced the Baggs Anthem pickup. The Anthem works great if you’re into the piezo sound but, alas, pie is are not my personal cup of tea. Anyway, I had volume and tone controls installed in the sound hole and I haven’t looked back since.

Now, if you are ever looking to buy a new X30 from Emerald you can have a Krivo mounted on top as your sole pickup. Sounds great through an electric guitar or acoustic instrument amp.

And yes, although I don’t have a tuner in the sound hole, it’s a simple, non destructive mod to add one.
Old 09-30-2021, 05:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
I apologize in advance for the fact that what I’m going to propose is for future X30 owners will not be helpful for you. Back when you could buy a Krivo humbucker I purchased one and had it installed in my X30. It replaced the Baggs Anthem pickup. The Anthem works great if you’re into the piezo sound but, alas, pie is are not my personal cup of tea. Anyway, I had volume and tone controls installed in the sound hole and I haven’t looked back since.

Now, if you are ever looking to buy a new X30 from Emerald you can have a Krivo mounted on top as your sole pickup. Sounds great through an electric guitar or acoustic instrument amp.

And yes, although I don’t have a tuner in the sound hole, it’s a simple, non destructive mod to add one.
Good to hear. I’ve been seriously thinking about the Krivo for my X20. I can’t imagine that the installation would be particularly tricky, as it’s surface-mounted.

I already have the tuner in the sound hole
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-04-2021, 03:25 PM

I did order an LR Baggs Anthem StagePro. Already pulled the Anthem sound hole unit out, now just to wait for the new unit, and then to cut a hole in the side of a guitar!
Old 10-05-2021, 08:30 PM
Charter Member

A Tonedexter will also solve the problem ( it did with my X20). But it is another piece of gear.
Old 10-07-2021, 05:49 PM

Did the deed. ABSOLUTELY EXACTLY what I wanted. The amplified bass and treble control is perfect. The X30 is so powerful on the low end, its sometimes overpowering. This makes it perfect! Messing around at home with my amp, just the 'notch' function is worth it in itself. Knocks down the feedback instantly, and allows a lot more flexibility and much more margin to work with instead of getting that feedback!

Old 10-07-2021, 05:59 PM
Charter Member

Nice job!
……..
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 10-07-2021, 06:24 PM

Love to see folks not afraid to work on their own guitars
Old 10-07-2021, 06:43 PM
Charter Member

Nicely done! Expect some comments about barndoor pickups, but circumstances call for the right tool for the job. One of my favorites is a B-Band pickup (no longer made) in the side of my Emerald X7.

Just out of curiosity: how thick was side of your X30?
Old 10-07-2021, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
Nicely done! Expect some comments about barndoor pickups, but circumstances call for the right tool for the job. One of my favorites is a B-Band pickup (no longer made) in the side of my Emerald X7.

Just out of curiosity: how thick was side of your X30?

Thick. It's 3mm of carbon.

For reference, my RainSong, the side is about .8 mm

Last edited by DethWshBkr; 10-07-2021 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:17 AM

Wow... what a brave person.... Well done!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber