The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-26-2021, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
Everyone talks about the P90 pickups, which must be good. I have only tried the Godin out acoustically in a few Seattle shops, and found it very underwhelming.

If you want an archtop that you can play unplugged I wouldn't recommend it.
Strings are everything with this guitar - see the above post ^^^^^ ...
Old 10-08-2021, 05:17 PM

So I just picked up a used one but it's going to need a little attention. The action is too low and the intonation needs work. What strings would be recommended?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-09-2021, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
So I just picked up a used one but it's going to need a little attention. The action is too low and the intonation needs work. What strings would be recommended?
Congrats Bob! As far as strings go, what do you like to use on other electrics and what gauge will hurt your fingers?

According to the Godin website, it comes stock with 12s with a wound G string. I'd probably start there but if you do a lot of bending a wound G string may be difficult, as may be the 12s.
Old 10-09-2021, 01:41 PM

I want this to be a jazz guitar so I'm thinking 12's with a wound G string.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-10-2021, 07:27 AM

Quote:

Congrats! I think you'll like it! One of the best impulse purchases I've ever made, that's for sure. They're nice guitars.

Floating bridge is gonna make that setup work a breeze and I second the notion of a using a wound third on it. 12's would be fine too, but depending on the sound you're looking for, don't toss the idea of going lighter. I found lighter strings give it that "vintage archtop" vibe pretty well, not too loud and just a little bit on the thin side - not unlike the tone out of a 50's era L-48 Gibson ... which by coincidence, I was test driving last week and couldn't get over how much it's tone reminded me of my 5th Avenue.

Now, that might be sort of a "niche sound" and not what you're looking for, but if old school chord comping's where you want to go, it's an ideal guitar for it.

Enjoy!
Old 10-10-2021, 07:49 AM

Thanks. I was noodling around with it last night and I really like the feel and sound of it. It still needs a little tweaking. I'm taking it into the shop on Monday. On the fence between 11's & 12's.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-10-2021, 10:32 AM

Quote:
...It still needs a little tweaking. I'm taking it into the shop on Monday. On the fence between 11's & 12's.
Don't know what strings are on there right now, but speaking from experience I've got a gut feeling that a set of 12's will take care of most if not all of your action/intonation problems...
Old 10-10-2021, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Don't know what strings are on there right now, but speaking from experience I've got a gut feeling that a set of 12's will take care of most if not all of your action/intonation problems...
Not sure either Steve but I think the previous owner was trying to make a rock guitar out of it.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-10-2021, 07:21 PM

Quote:
...I think the previous owner was trying to make a rock guitar out of it...
His/her mistake ; while IME it will cover many rock and related styles effectively - rockabilly/honky-tonk, cleaner blues, '50s-60s R&R/R&B, "Bakersfield sound" country, doo-wop, first-wave British Invasion, among others - the whole raison d'etre for these instruments is that rich, woody acoustic resonance you won't get anywhere else, and the only way to get it is if the strings provide sufficient energy to drive the top. Translation: with a proper pro setup job and ultra-low action - a hack all those fleet-fingered '50s jazzers and rockabilly cats knew BTW - there's no reason whatsoever you should find 12's (or even 13's, if you're going to be using it primarily as a jazzbox and don't bend strings often) unnecessarily difficult to play...
Old 10-14-2021, 09:43 AM

So I got this back from the shop and I have to say I'm thrilled. I've got a keeper! It's funny how different guitars inspire you to play different styles. This inspires me exactly how I want it to. Tasty jazz chords are not necessarily part of my vocabulary yet but you've got to keep the shark moving forward.
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-14-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
So I got this back from the shop and I have to say I'm thrilled. I've got a keeper! It's funny how different guitars inspire you to play different styles. This inspires me exactly how I want it to. Tasty jazz chords are not necessarily part of my vocabulary yet but you've got to keep the shark moving forward.
Great words Bob. Another excuse to own multiple electrics . Enjoy!
Old 10-15-2021, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I want this to be a jazz guitar so I'm thinking 12's with a wound G string.
If you still have some liquid funds on hand, the humbucker version - arguably more of a pure "jazz guitar" in the '60s ES-175 tradition - is on sale at MF:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...pin-ii-cutaway

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars