The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 09-24-2021, 12:13 PM

Default Godin 5th Ave. Kingpin anyone?

I'm flirting with the idea of an inexpensive jazz box. Anyone have experience with one of these?
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-24-2021, 12:43 PM

I've had one for over 10 years, and while I own a "nicer" jazzbox, I don't think I'll ever part with the Godin. It's just darn fun to play, and the Godin P-90 is excellent, and not too noisy.

I think the Kingpins are one of those things where if it works for you, you know very quickly.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-24-2021, 01:17 PM

Thanks Jeff!
Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-24-2021, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I've had one for over 10 years, and while I own a "nicer" jazzbox, I don't think I'll ever part with the Godin. It's just darn fun to play, and the Godin P-90 is excellent, and not too noisy.

I think the Kingpins are one of those things where if it works for you, you know very quickly.
+1, and the CW II version - two P-90's and a cutaway - just ups the grins (and versatility) by a factor of 10. I own one, and it's more than just a jazzbox: the ultra-thin woods used in its construction (mine scales in at just a tick over five pounds - about the same as a Seagull mini-jumbo) give it an airy, lively response that lends a Brooklyn Gretsch vibe to the midrangey P-90 tone - a definite contrast to the "thud-&-mud" of most laminated instruments, and useable for clean blues, rockabilly, '50s/60s R&R and R&B, first-wave Brit Invasion, and even surf. It also has the customary Godin QC/playability - mine was one of three guitars I've owned over the last six decades that needed no setup whatsoever - and other than the Korean-made Gretsch 5400-Series Electromatic hollows, IME there's nothing else in the same league in the under-$1K category:

Old 09-24-2021, 08:44 PM

My Kingpin is one that always stays out on a stand. Sounds decent unplugged or even better through some old glass and a 15" speaker. These are well made and a great value.

Old 09-25-2021, 09:24 AM

I've played one before and it's got a sweet, rockin' tone thanks to the P90 and an amp's overdrive. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one if I was in the market for one. Godin is a well respected name.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
+1, and the CW II version - two P-90's and a cutaway - just ups the grins (and versatility) by a factor of 10. I own one, and it's more than just a jazzbox: the ultra-thin woods used in its construction (mine scales in at just a tick over five pounds - about the same as a Seagull mini-jumbo) give it an airy, lively response that lends a Brooklyn Gretsch vibe to the midrangey P-90 tone - a definite contrast to the "thud-&-mud" of most laminated instruments, and useable for clean blues, rockabilly, '50s/60s R&R and R&B, first-wave Brit Invasion, and even surf. It also has the customary Godin QC/playability - mine was one of three guitars I've owned over the last six decades that needed no setup whatsoever - and other than the Korean-made Gretsch 5400-Series Electromatic hollows, IME there's nothing else in the same league in the under-$1K category:

Steve, does a Godin P-90 pickup approach the hot signal output and wonderful tonality of a Gibson P-90?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-25-2021, 10:23 AM

In a world of AFWUL P90 clones (I'm looking at you "The Loar") the Godin P90 is a ray of sunshine. It sounds exactly like a P90 should.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 09-25-2021, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
In a world of AFWUL P90 clones (I'm looking at you "The Loar") the Godin P90 is a ray of sunshine. It sounds exactly like a P90 should.
Jeff, that's good to hear!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5

Last edited by SpruceTop; 09-25-2021 at 11:52 AM.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...does a Godin P-90 pickup approach the hot signal output and wonderful tonality of a Gibson P-90?
FWIW Godin, in their legendary good taste and wisdom, chose to equip the Kingpin/CW II with something from the more refined side of the spectrum - IME far better suited to the ultra-lightweight construction (this thing would howl like a demented banshee with hot pickups). If you like the sound of some of the underwound P-90's (whether vintage originals or aftermarket issues from Lollar, Duncan, DiMarzio, etc.) you'll love these - you know immediately what it is, but it doesn't hammer your (or your listeners') eardrums into submission making its presence known, and I concur with Jeff in his evaluation that it's the ideal P-90 tone for this type of guitar...
Old 09-25-2021, 02:04 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
FWIW Godin, in their legendary good taste and wisdom, chose to equip the Kingpin/CW II with something from the more refined side of the spectrum - IME far better suited to the ultra-lightweight construction (this thing would howl like a demented banshee with hot pickups). If you like the sound of some of the underwound P-90's (whether vintage originals or aftermarket issues from Lollar, Duncan, DiMarzio, etc.) you'll love these - you know immediately what it is, but it doesn't hammer your (or your listeners') eardrums into submission making its presence known, and I concur with Jeff in his evaluation that it's the ideal P-90 tone for this type of guitar...
Thanks, Steve, you just upped a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin/CW II to the top of my list! Now, to decide between that and a Gibson Les Paul Special Dual P-90 TV Yellow ax ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 09-25-2021, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
...you just upped a Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin/CW II to the top of my list! Now, to decide between that and a Gibson Les Paul Special Dual P-90 TV Yellow ax ...
Different animal entirely; I own a 2011 LP Studio '60s Tribute goldtop (a limited-production version with PRS-style revealed "binding") that serves as my "rock" guitar - and while the flatwound strings I use do allow less-aggressive styles (I own a Strat, I've played Jaguars/Jazzmasters/Mosrites, and I've yet to find a better surf guitar), unlike the Godin it really comes into its own when those little glass tone bottles in your amp are getting down and dirty . As you know I'm primarily a Gretsch player - a 3-PU 5622 is my first grab since it covers 95% of what I generally need on a gig - and far be it from me to be an enabler , but there's a reason I own both. That said, since you already have the hollowbody thing very well-covered for now with your 5420-59, if it's an either/or proposition I'd opt for a P-90 LP and hold the Godin for a later date...
Old 09-26-2021, 06:21 AM

Good discussion. Found this on the Godin page.

Gibson J200
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 09-26-2021, 09:43 AM

Everyone talks about the P90 pickups, which must be good. I have only tried the Godin out acoustically in a few Seattle shops, and found it very underwhelming.

If you want an archtop that you can play unplugged I wouldn't recommend it.
Old 09-26-2021, 10:14 AM

When I got my Kingpin about 10 years ago it was the only acoustic guitar I had at the time. I found the factory supplied strings, 0.12s, gave the plywood guitar a thin sound unplugged. I can say that a set of Martin Retro's 0.13s seem to "wake it up" nicely. I also think that a Kingpin sounds great unplugged when played alongside a flat top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars