The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-16-2021, 12:58 AM

Default New Emerald Virtuo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu3GJwHK6oY&t=21s

Looks like a Emerald version of "Taylor T5". Any thought?

Grace Felix
L.R.Baggs Mixpro
Zoom A3

Trace Elliot TA40CR
Henriksen the Bud ten

Last edited by Kerbie; 09-16-2021 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Fixed video.
Old 09-16-2021, 04:45 AM
Charter Member

Interesting. That is what I said in the "What is Emerald teasing today?" thread:

However, this new Virtuo does seem to be something different, possibly in similar market space as Taylor's T5z, though obviously as different as Emerald is from everything else in all their models.

Tony
Old 09-16-2021, 07:08 AM
Charter Member

Default Another take on the new Emerald

I love this guy’s playing. And what a beautiful guitar!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZraM7pp7xpI
Old 09-16-2021, 07:49 AM
Charter Member

He does a great job of showing off the capability and versatility of this new Emerald model - I'm impressed!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

I've had a T5 for a lot of years; it's a great guitar. Some people think it isn't a good acoustic, nor electric, but it isn't supposed to take the place of an 814 and a Les Paul. It is its own sound and offers a great variety of tone, with the right amp(s) completing the package.

I bought an X10 with level 2 pickups right after it was first released. I kinda figured this would be a "more acoustic" version of the T5, and that is pretty close. Again, the right amp(s) complete the sound. Using a THR 30ii has been great with the X10.

This new Virtuo takes it to a more electric option (my perspective) with those Fishman Fluence pickups. The slimline body adds to that, as well. To me, this is more than an evolution of the X10 and most certainly a full new model... yet still keeping to Emerald's acoustic roots.

Emerald is doing what they do: expanding the options for guitar players. This new Virtuo looks to be a great guitar for performing (especially in a band situation) and recording. It isn't going to replace the other great acoustics in the Emerald line, but it is certainly another great option.

Last edited by Captain Jim; 09-16-2021 at 08:35 AM.
Old 09-16-2021, 09:26 AM
Anticipation Junkie

To be sure, it’s pretty nifty in the right hands. Not mine. Unless I missed it, I wanted to hear it played pure acoustic. It’s thin, so likely it would sound that way, not meant for no amplification.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:00 PM
Guest 928

Acousticado;

It's like an on-road off-road motorcycle--an intermediate item. So now Alistair has full acoustics and acoustic/electrics.

My Emerald X7 thin body (2") was an electric acoustic, something I think could be more commonly produced. It was an astounding instrument when played with power and a surprisingly good projecting acoustic.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
To be sure, it’s pretty nifty in the right hands. Not mine. Unless I missed it, I wanted to hear it played pure acoustic. It’s thin, so likely it would sound that way, not meant for no amplification.
Here’s a video comparing the standard X10 with the X10 Slimline. I’d imagine the acoustic voice of the Virtuo will be very similar to that of the Slimline, as they appear to have the same body. As it’s really designed to be played plugged in, any even half-way reasonable acoustic sound would be a bonus.

Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 09-16-2021, 01:59 PM

So is the Virtuo a slimline X10 with different pickups, or are there other differences?
Old 09-16-2021, 02:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
The right tool for the job. When I compare my previous generation X7 with the current, it is a thinner body, but I still marvel at the sound it produces. I agree that if a pure acoustic tone is part of the equation, there are other Emerald models that will be a better fit.

I was thinking "electric tones with an acoustic leaning" when I ordered the X10 3 years ago... but it has a surprisingly sweet acoustic tone, thanks to that full width body that is similar in size to an X7. I have brought the X10 along when we're traveling, as my only guitar.

I remember Evan being quite impressed with his slim-body nylon X10. That said, Alistair does some very cool things with guitar design, but physics (and size) still matter.

So many great options.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:00 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumokids View Post
So is the Virtuo a slimline X10 with different pickups, or are there other differences?
As best as I can tell, it is. All the main physical dimensions are the same (with the exception of the bridge spacing. 2 7/8” is probably a mistake )Whether there are internal differences remains unknown at this point.
Cordoba Stage

Old 09-16-2021, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Someone mentioned the neck being slimmer. Maybe it was Alastair. Idk for sure because I haven’t touched one yet.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:52 PM

I'd be liking that a lot more if there were no piezo. I absolutely hate piezos.
Old 09-16-2021, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
HereÂ’s a video comparing the standard X10 with the X10 Slimline. IÂ’d imagine the acoustic voice of the Virtuo will be very similar to that of the Slimline, as they appear to have the same body. As itÂ’s really designed to be played plugged in, any even half-way reasonable acoustic sound would be a bonus.

David, I agree with you for the most part except that I question the effect of having a pair of pickups screwed into the body(Virtuo) vs. glued to the top(X10 slimline). I'm reminded of the difference between archtop guitars with floating pickups vs. built in/screwed in pickups re: acoustic sound. Either way, I expect the Virtuo will have enough of an acoustic to sound for quiet practising and not enough volume to disturb housemates/family members(in other words, a great "couch" guitar when played unplugged).

The release of Virtuo and Solace had me thinking about how I've spent my time during the pandemic. I mostly stayed at home, got my Covid vaccines and ordered a lot of stuff online. Meanwhile, Alistair conceived of and brought to fruition two guitar models that previously did not exist. I had to chuckle when he said that Covid gave him "a creative shot in the arm." To many living in American and the UK, Covid gave them 2 shots in the arm.

Alistair openly acknowledges EvanB's contribution to Emerald guitar design in coming up with the thinline. I also can't help but think that, on some level, Captain Jim's SG guitar with Fishman Fluence pickups had to at least subliminally find its way into Alistair's conscientiousness(he does follow the forum, after all).
Old 09-16-2021, 04:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by esimms86 View Post
David, I agree with you for the most part except that I question the effect of having a pair of pickups screwed into the body(Virtuo) vs. glued to the top(X10 slimline). I'm reminded of the difference between archtop guitars with floating pickups vs. built in/screwed in pickups re: acoustic sound. Either way, I expect the Virtuo will have enough of an acoustic to sound for quiet practising and not enough volume to disturb housemates/family members(in other words, a great "couch" guitar when played unplugged).
I think we actually agree - you just went into more detail
Cordoba Stage

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber