The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 07:25 PM

Default Plain String Gauges (Mix and Match?)

I guess just because sets of strings come (with some exceptions) with either 11/15 or 12/16 or 13/17 plain strings, there's no rule says that's what a given guitar needs.

I've been struggling the last couple days with getting any sort of full sound from notes on my B-string and it gets worse for a couple tunes I'm playing that go up around the 7th, 8th, 9th fret on that string. I'm using a light gauge set with 12 and 16 gauge plain strings.

So I tried a 17 on the B string thinking the extra tension might "fatten up" notes on that string. Total fail. It actually choked off all the overtones and sounded pretty constricted. So quickly back to 16.

Then I had the brain storm that is 16 works that much better than 17 maybe 15 would be better still. Tried that tonight and it's a big improvement. The tone of notes on that string are a great match for the (12 gauge) E string and also seem to blend with the G string better.

So I guess my guitar is best with 12-15-24-etc. even though that seems like a mismatch. I know from trying an 11 on the E string once before that isn't a good idea. So I'm not tempted to match up an 11 with the 15. Of course this may all sound different to me tomorrow but right now that change has me pretty close to hearing the tone I want from that string. Cool.

P.S. Now I gotta go buy some single 15's I guess.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-17-2021, 09:07 PM

You aren’t going to know until you do that hands-on experimentation. It can be a quirky process figuring all this stuff out.

But I have several instruments where I’ve arrived at non-standard string sets as being most optimal for them.

whm
Old 10-18-2021, 04:33 AM
Charter Member

Dunno how to help with this one.

For some time, I decided that for blegrass stuff, my "bright" (actually just evenly balanced) Collings dreads didn't need the 13 and 17 so I bought 12s and 16s and built up a lifetime stock of unused 13/17s

Yes, I could have bought D'addario Bluegrass gauge but then I would have needed to buy .026 Gs as .024 were way too light.

Then at some time, I just put straight Ej17s and found that it made so little difference that I gave up on "customising".

As I write this, maybe I should use those .012s as he octave 3rd on my 12 strings as I hate the idea of that .010 string.

I find that I'm going more for Martins on my flat tops now , which is a bit of a shame as I have 2 x 10 packs of EJ17s - and I'll not be buying the ten packs due to the reduced quality packaging mentioned below.

https://youtu.be/Ss_-SBBbQuA
Old 10-18-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
I guess just because sets of strings come (with some exceptions) with either 11/15 or 12/16 or 13/17 plain strings, there's no rule says that's what a given guitar needs.

I've been struggling the last couple days with getting any sort of full sound from notes on my B-string and it gets worse for a couple tunes I'm playing that go up around the 7th, 8th, 9th fret on that string. I'm using a light gauge set with 12 and 16 gauge plain strings.

So I tried a 17 on the B string thinking the extra tension might "fatten up" notes on that string. Total fail. It actually choked off all the overtones and sounded pretty constricted. So quickly back to 16.

Then I had the brain storm that is 16 works that much better than 17 maybe 15 would be better still. Tried that tonight and it's a big improvement. The tone of notes on that string are a great match for the (12 gauge) E string and also seem to blend with the G string better.

So I guess my guitar is best with 12-15-24-etc. even though that seems like a mismatch. I know from trying an 11 on the E string once before that isn't a good idea. So I'm not tempted to match up an 11 with the 15. Of course this may all sound different to me tomorrow but right now that change has me pretty close to hearing the tone I want from that string. Cool.

P.S. Now I gotta go buy some single 15's I guess.
Had a nice practice session this morning and the 12/15 combo was definitely the right move. Playing a little tune across the G/B/E strings on frets 5-9 the three strings blend nicely. And down in 1st position the C-natural rings out better.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-18-2021, 06:29 AM

I have been experimenting with the bass side for a bit. For the drop and alternate tuned stuff, I tried "bluegrass" gauge and found the D string didn't feel right. At the moment, I'd just using light gauge except for the low E, which is sometimes tuned all the way down to a C, and that seems to be the ticket for me. .56 seems to be working well.

In your case, maybe try the Elixir HD lights and see if you like those?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion