The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2021, 12:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitDave View Post
The best campfire guitar you could have is one that sounds like a guitar, but is dirt cheap.
Then, when the campfire playing and singing ends, you just toss it onto the top of the campfire.
[Guitar store salesman told me this one years ago ]
Surely a Zager then. You would then have the added benefit of providing some real community service when it comes to the "toss it into the campfire" part. Ok that was harsh but all in good jest.......

Kidding aside - yeah, there are many inexpensive options. To add to the confusion, my AP70 works fine for my overnight soirees. I got it used for $240 and paid $75 to have it set up (if you go the Alvarez AP route, it'll need a setup). Great value.

And as mentioned, the Norman's, Art & Lutherie and Yamahas are fine options as well, which I see listed on Craigslist around here, regularly. (Not sure where in E NC you are but I've also seen a variety of nice offerings out of Greenville and Wilmington, on C'list).

I will add that I also use two carbon fibers for my camping trips. I enjoy my CA Cargo as much as any of my instruments (a ~00 size). The larger GX Player, also from Composite Acoustics, is also nice. CA was bought out (by Peavey as I recall) but many used ones linger on. I got my Cargo for $700 a few years ago.

John

Martin D-41, Larrivee L-19; Gibson L-130; Taylor 614-ce-L30; R Taylor 2
H&D Custom OM; Bauman 000
Cervantes Crossover I; Kenny Hill 628S;
Rainsong Shorty SGA; CA GX Player, Cargo;
Alvarez AP70; Stella, 12-string; 2 Ukes; Gibson Mandola; Charango, couple electrics
Old 10-17-2021, 12:26 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
I'd go with a solid body electric. I think acoustics likely burn too quickly and you probably want your campfire to last awhile.

Think of the sustain you would get from a flame-topped ‘59 Les Paul!

Perhaps you have solved the mystery of what happens to all those guitars that go missing through FedEx…

But seriously, SRL’s list is a good one. There are lots of good sounding full-size or travel/parlor/small-scale guitars that sell for ~$500 new that would make great knock-around/campfire guitars—buying used saves you the heartache of adding the first scratch/ding. If portability is an issue, a GS Mini or VoyageAir are hard to beat.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:12 PM
Charter Member

Howdys Cache

something with lower intrinsic value and that would not be horribly missed if someone who has partaken of too many wobbly pops, damages it or steps on it. an acoustic but a BIG one, jumbo or dread that sounds good and has volume, for me that would be my A&L cherry or fender CD60.

1929 SS Stewart Pro Archtop
1921 G Houghton Archtop Banjo
2007 George Rizsanyi Custom Maple Banjo Killer
2017 James Malejczuk Custom OM Black Limba
1980 Norman B50-12
Norman B-20
Recording King single 0
1996 Takamine
1967 Yam G-130 Melvina
1980s Seagull S6 Cedar
2003 Briarwood
1970s Eko Maple
1982 Ovation
2020 Fender Telecaster
Mandolin
Yam THR5A
Sienna 35 Kustom
Old 10-17-2021, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Life's too short to play anything but a good guitar. To that end, I grab my 70 Guild D 35. You won't notice another ding or scratch. In fact, all my big three guitars have been gigged. I quit buying clean guitars a long time ago. I learned I like the sound of forty year old wood. That pretty much makes mint guitars non existent, and the mint guitars I've played were dogs.

The key is to limit your beverage intake to a reasonable amount.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 10-17-2021, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

I picked up a a Rainsomg for camping purposes. Had it now for around 8 years and has suffered some climate issues that would have ruined a wood guitar (Heat to cold, cold to heat, heavy rain-high humidity, and being inadvertently tossed around.

Not cheap but worth saving up for if you need a good sounding guitar that can take a beating.
Mine Still looks new and sounds the same as the day I got it.
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat

Last edited by Mbroady; 10-18-2021 at 03:17 AM.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:21 PM

I got a PRS P-20 with laminated back and sides, solid mahogany top for camping and playing at the park. Plays nice, sounds nice, was relatively cheap and is built like a brick battleship.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:50 PM

That's what I bought my Gretsch G9500 Jim Dandy for. I paid only US$149 for it. It's actually a terrific playing and sounding little parlor guitar. I also have a KLŌS carbon fiber travel guitar that would absolutely stand up to the rigors of playing by a campfire, but it's a bit more costly.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:01 PM

The one you played and then bought at a thrift store, Craigslist, Offer Up, Facebook, pawnshop, swap meeet, or secondhand shop, for less than $50.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:13 PM

Wink

I have a Jasmine J-35 (dreadnought) that my daughter gave me when she upgraded her collection, and I had a great opportunity this last summer to put it to use. During our 4 day conference in the mountains, three of us jammed for a couple of hours one afternoon, then we did a 2.5 hour campfire singalong. The Jasmine did terrific. Held its' tune really well, projected nicely (no sound system) and I got several sincere compliments when it was over. They retail for $100 I think.

So what did I do? I went and got an Orangewood to have for next summer's conference!

I'll probably take both if we have room in the car, and let someone use the Jasmine if they forgot to bring one.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:18 PM

Used Takamine EF-341 models can be found for under $500 if you are patient. This is what I take camping.

2011 Martin M-36
2016 Martin GPC-35E
2016 Martin D12X1 Custom Centennial
1992 Takamine EF-341C, great for campfires

85 Gibson Les Paul Custom
82 Gibson SG
96 Fender Clapton Stratocaster
91 Fender Deluxe Telecaster Plus
86 Fender MIJ E-series Stratocaster
Old 10-17-2021, 05:37 PM

I also own a Voyage Air VAOM 06, and that is what I would take to most campfires.

If I didn’t own the VAOM 06 and I were were buying something today, I might buy another Voyage Air. Or I might spend more money and buy a carbon fiber guitar.

For many years, I took my Yamaha FG180 everywhere. Laminate back and sides, solid spruce top. They are available used for $300 -$600, if you want to go that route.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:19 PM

A great camping guitar has to somehow be low value yet still have great tone to make you want to loose yourself in its beautiful sound. For me, that guitar will be well made with great tone woods and bracing but showing an ugly dent or two or three knocking its value down a long ways from its normal used price.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:39 PM

How about some of the old Kay and Harmony guitars? Like the Sears & Roebuck 319 made by Harmony?

Another option is to find a decent guitar already damaged and repaired. You’re not going to lose any sleep if that guitar gets wet or scratched.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:41 PM

I have two! I have a full carbon fibre custom that I purchased specifically for camping / cottage use, etc. It's great but its rather heavy and long scale - but if I'm going to be outside / in the heat / in high humidity for more than a day, it's great. For shorter trips in more temperate conditions, a not so dear Martin 000 jr.
Old 10-17-2021, 07:44 PM

I know some here would advocate to take the best they have as you shouldn't be overly concerned about damage. Theoretically, I like that approach, however I camp in a world where there are some temperature extremes and a drink or two (or more) has been known to be consumed once the lights go down So I don't tend to take my most prized guitars. Beyond that I've take my Seagull S-6 several times but also a couple of really nice Seagull Artist models. I will also, if space is a real consideration, take my Furch Little Jane, as it is a quite compact package. I always would rather have a full size option, but, if I have to size down it does the job quite nicely. There is no one size fits all, but do take into consideration the type of camping you are doing, temperature/weather expectation, and what type of crowd you are camping with. Variations on all of those can drastically impact what works best. Happy Camping

Breedlove Masterclass Dread - Sitka/Koa
Breedlove Masterclass Concert - Sitka/BRW
Seagull Artist Deluxe CE
Seagull Artist Element
Furch G22CR-C

Several other exceptional guitars, but these make me smile and keep me inspired!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion