The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 05-20-2015, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

I have a friend who has a GB acoustic amp that weighs 11lbs and sounds as good or better than anything else I've heard. Shame when a good product gets buried in a big corporation.

I have a Gibson amp that is just a Trace Elliot Vellocette with the gibson logo on it. Trace didn't last long after being bought out by Gibson, so Fender isn't the only culprit.

It's a miracle Guild has a fighting chance.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 05-20-2015, 09:23 PM

My CPK-10T is awesome, can't imagine what I'd buy if it ever died.
'13 Jaffrey #26 - Malaysian Blackwood!
'21 Gretsch 5622
'22 Furch Red Pure G-LR - Barbera Soloist
ST-300 Mini + DIY mic preamp
Old 05-26-2015, 06:58 AM

Default Genz Benz

I'm selling my Accoustic Pro 1x12. I live in Austin but will ship. Let me know what you think is fair.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratone View Post
Now I've found another Genz Benz for sale - it's a toss up between the Shenandoah 100 for $399 and the Shenandoah 150 LT for $649.

Any suggestions? the LT is half the weight, 26 lbs vs 40 something....wondering if the extra $250 is worth it.
Last week I bought a mint Shenandoah 100 for $300. 12" woof + tweeter, nice Alesis effects set, sweepable mids on both channels. Used it on my gig last night, along with my ol' Roland AC60 (running pre out from the GB into aux on the Roland), best sound I ever had. Heavy? Yep, about 42 lbs but easy to grab by the bass port in back - my 70 yr old back didn't complain.

Another con is the fan - it's loud when running in my music room, and likely unnecessary. But hey, according the the manual (still available online) there's switch in back to turn it off...nope, not on mine. So I took the head out to see if I could find an easy fan defeat but also nope. Out in a gig setting the fan isn't an issue at all but it would be a deal breaker in studio or any really quiet application, which is one reason the violin player I bought it from sold it.

While inside I read the circuit board - which clearly states it's an 85 watt amp. So it seems they borrowed from a common playbook and simply relabeled their 85 w amp as 100w. Oh well, all I know is I can't get the master past noon with the channel on 3 - super loud rig. Definitely not class D.

A similar Fishman Loudbox (although they don't make anything with a 12" woof) would run me $850. Yeah, the Fishman preamp tone is swell, but the little T.C. Electronic BodyRez pedal tames any piezo quack I might get from my under-saddle equipped guitars.

I do love a great bargain!
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Breedlove Concert Copper E
Breedlove Solo Pro 12 String
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
Gold Tone F12 12-String Mando
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
90's Fender MIJ mystery passive P/J
Old 09-26-2021, 12:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratone View Post
Now I've found another Genz Benz for sale - it's a toss up between the Shenandoah 100 for $399 and the Shenandoah 150 LT for $649.

Any suggestions? the LT is half the weight, 26 lbs vs 40 something....wondering if the extra $250 is worth it.
Hi seratone…

Either one is ˝ of a 12" two way PA system. They both sound good, but I'm not familiar with why the 150 is so much more money.

It takes 10 times the power to double volume, so you aren't gaining that much power. I'm wondering if the Class D amp in the 150 weighs less.

The 100W Genz Benz reminds me of the SWR Blonde which also has the 12" two way with a switch to adjust or eliminate the tweeter. It weighs just over 50 pounds, is built like a tank, and works great as a bass amp, Keyboard amp, guitar amp, or PA speaker.

Is there something I'm missing other than the 150 is more compact and lighter?

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-26-2021, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Genz-Benz is no longer, but Genzler is alive and well. There is a devout following here…surprised no one chimed in yet. I have an older GB Shen-jr, and have felt they are one of the best kept secrets, and underrated amps out there.

Genzleramplification.com
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 09-27-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnf777 View Post
Genz-Benz is no longer, but Genzler is alive and well. There is a devout following here…surprised no one chimed in yet. I have an older GB Shen-jr, and have felt they are one of the best kept secrets, and underrated amps out there.

Genzleramplification.com
I had the Shen Jr as well back in the mid-2000's. Great little amp and wish I'd never sold it.
Old 09-28-2021, 04:52 AM

The Genz Benz Black Pearl 30 was one of the best guitar amps I've ever played, and I wish I still had it (I moved it on, because it was early in my "must try ALL the amps" part of my life).

Fender did by GB, and I know they shut down the GUITAR amps part of the company, so as not to compete with their amps, but I didn't know the bass and acoustic stuff (i.e., the entire company) was shuttered. That's a shame. They made great stuff.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-30-2021, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
The 100W Genz Benz reminds me of the SWR Blonde which also has the 12" two way with a switch to adjust or eliminate the tweeter. It weighs just over 50 pounds, is built like a tank, and works great as a bass amp, Keyboard amp, guitar amp, or PA speaker.
I have the original Shen 85 & added the tweeter switch. When I bought it I was able to audition the GB & the SWR side-by-side. The Blonde was awesome but I liked the Shen better. Still goin' strong!

Frank
Old 10-05-2021, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Fender shut down Genz Benz. I imagine the website is still up to support dealers moving old stock. To me it is a real loss. Their products were reliable, good sounding and light weight.
That's Fender for ya - the masters of Catch And Kill
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass
Old 10-07-2021, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
That's Fender for ya - the masters of Catch And Kill
Except with Gretsch. They REVIVED that brand, brought quality back, and have expanded upon it.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 10-08-2021, 12:39 PM

I have a Shenandoah 150LT that is a GREAT acoustic amp. Great effects, not crazy heavy, just top notch. I have a Mesa Boogie Rosette (2-8" speakers) and it is a beauty (custom shop in curly walnut) but the GB is just a better sounding amp, with more effects. The only place the MB wins is that it has phantom power (and it is prettier!).
Kremona Kiano
Ramsay Hauser
Cordoba C10
Chris Walsh Archtop
Gardiner Concert
Taylor Leo Kottke
Gretsch 6120
Pavan TP30
Aria A19c
Hsienmo MJ

Ukuleles:
Cocobolo 5 string Tenor
Kanilea K3 Koa
Kanilea K1 Walnut Tenor
Kala Super Tenor
Rebel Super Concert
Nehemiah Covey Tenor
Mainland Mahogany Tenor
Mainland Cedar/Rosewood Tenor
Old 10-17-2021, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

I'm sure you all realize that genz-benz is now simply Genzler. Without question still building two of the best acoustic amps on the market today.

Last edited by DjFuzzyMcPickle; 10-17-2021 at 04:56 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by negriljerry View Post
Last week I bought a mint Shenandoah 100 for $300. 12" woof + tweeter, nice Alesis effects set, sweepable mids on both channels. Used it on my gig last night, along with my ol' Roland AC60 (running pre out from the GB into aux on the Roland), best sound I ever had. Heavy? Yep, about 42 lbs but easy to grab by the bass port in back - my 70 yr old back didn't complain.

Another con is the fan - it's loud when running in my music room, and likely unnecessary. But hey, according the the manual (still available online) there's switch in back to turn it off...nope, not on mine. So I took the head out to see if I could find an easy fan defeat but also nope. Out in a gig setting the fan isn't an issue at all but it would be a deal breaker in studio or any really quiet application, which is one reason the violin player I bought it from sold it.

While inside I read the circuit board - which clearly states it's an 85 watt amp. So it seems they borrowed from a common playbook and simply relabeled their 85 w amp as 100w. Oh well, all I know is I can't get the master past noon with the channel on 3 - super loud rig. Definitely not class D.

A similar Fishman Loudbox (although they don't make anything with a 12" woof) would run me $850. Yeah, the Fishman preamp tone is swell, but the little T.C. Electronic BodyRez pedal tames any piezo quack I might get from my under-saddle equipped guitars.

I do love a great bargain!
Update: The fan is just too loud for music room practice. So I contacted Genzler to see if I could get a tip on how to disconnect the fan, and he referred me to the engineer who worked that series - who also replied swiftly, wow. I'm told I should be able to find the circuit board connection once I pull the head (again) but he advised "It's thermally protected but you don't want to find out [if it's not enough protection] on a gig. Meaning I'd need to pull the head and manually disconnect the fan, then do it again to reconnect for gigs. Nah. So I'm back to using my Roland AC60 for practice which I decided to keep for the small size (and crazy cheap investment - $200).
Martin D-16GT
Martin 000M
Martin Backpacker
Lucero classical A/E
Gretsch G9220 Resonator
Epi Dobro Hounddog
Recording King Parlor
The Loar LM700VS Mando
'61 Fender Strat
Fender 60's RW Jazz bass

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification