The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-15-2021, 01:29 PM

Default Quality?

I just saw the Driftwood Guitars Youtube video about the G-45. I was all set to get one until I did. I hope, seriously, that he just got a lemon, and that you guys all got the good ones. But that one was simply junk. I was appalled that it was $200 more than the old Studio and, from what I could tell, not nearly as good a guitar. So I'm going shopping for something else.
Old 10-16-2021, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smugdad View Post
I just saw the Driftwood Guitars Youtube video about the G-45. I was all set to get one until I did. I hope, seriously, that he just got a lemon, and that you guys all got the good ones. But that one was simply junk. I was appalled that it was $200 more than the old Studio and, from what I could tell, not nearly as good a guitar. So I'm going shopping for something else.
This new line is identical to the previous G line, just with a sound hole cut out of the top. I would recommend looking for a used J15 if you want spruce/walnut. Much better instrument for about the same price.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackB1 View Post
This new line is identical to the previous G line, just with a sound hole cut out of the top. I would recommend looking for a used J15 if you want spruce/walnut. Much better instrument for about the same price.
My G-45 sounded quite a bit more full than the J-15's it was hanging next to. Last time I had it in the shop I got to compare it to another J-15 that it sounded better than, as well as some D-28's and J-45's that it was so bloody close to that I personally cant understand spending over $1000 more just to get a more recognized model number inside the sound hole.

In my experience, they aren't necessarily all like that, but one does need to play the guitars and decide for themselves. Online shopping for acoustic guitars is just silly IMO, and I personally wouldnt purchase any Gibson guitar without playing it first.

Last edited by Bushleague; 10-16-2021 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Online shopping for acoustic guitars is just silly IMO, and I personally wouldnt purchase any Gibson guitar without playing it first.

For some people “silly” is the only option. As long as there is a decent return policy the risk of getting a clunker is minimized.
Old 10-16-2021, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
...I personally wouldnt purchase any Gibson guitar without playing it first.
Gibson, Martin, whatever. I wouldn't purchase any GUITAR without playing it first and/or being able to return it and get my money back. Guitars are just way too variable to buy without trying.

I'm honestly surprised anyone would commit to purchasing a guitar without knowing for sure they like the way it plays and the way it sounds, first.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-16-2021, 11:29 AM
Charter Member

Congrats on the new guitar. Double congrats on the great wife!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2021, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post
Gibson, Martin, whatever. I wouldn't purchase any GUITAR without playing it first and/or being able to return it and get my money back. Guitars are just way too variable to buy without trying.

I'm honestly surprised anyone would commit to purchasing a guitar without knowing for sure they like the way it plays and the way it sounds, first.
I've purchased the following online without playing first:

Seagull Folk
Alvarez AP66SB
Avalon Ard Ri L2
Furch Yellow

The Seagull was the only one I was disappointed with overall. The Furch wasn't as mellow as I hoped for, but it is mellowing. They were all large manufacturers and I had the ability to return if I chose to.

There's a whole bunch of people here that buy custom orders from small builders. That does give me that same feeling you expressed though!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 10-16-2021, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
There's a whole bunch of people here that buy custom orders from small builders. That does give me that same feeling you expressed though!
Well the whole boutique custom-built thing is a whole different world. Not really any way to go truly custom and unique but then not have to actually buy the guitar.

I get the appeal although it's not for me! But a lot of the motivation there has to be the experience of getting to call the shots and have a guitar that you can feel reflect your personal wishes in every single aspect.
Singing the I've Wasted My Whole Life Blues
---Warren Malone "Whole Life Blues"
Old 10-16-2021, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hutto View Post

I'm with you there, but if I somehow had to purchase a guitar without playing it, Gibson would not be my first choice.

I live in the sticks, WAY in the northern Canadian sticks... Slave Lake Alberta to be exact, google it if you like. There are probably a few guys on this forum that live in more remote places than I do... but very few. I have never, and will never, purchase any guitar without playing it first.. if the particular guitar that I'm after cant be sampled, then I'll just make my selection from whatever I can get my hands on.

I really, really, cant believe that there are that many people in the lower 48 that cant play a handful of decent guitars before plunking down the better portion of a paycheck on one. That, just seems crazy to me.
Old 10-16-2021, 06:26 PM

If I wanted to drive three hours to a dealer who won't even consider any offer below MAP, I could try before I buy.

I prefer to deal with online shops with excellent return policies. I do all my own setups and lutherie work, so I can tweak a guitar to my liking in my own workshop.

And if I get a lemon, back it goes. But I haven't had to return one yet.

As for Gibson, I have had nothing but good luck with them, and I go over new guitars with a fine-toothed comb, inside and out.

I will admit, I usually buy high end models, including two that were Custom Shop orders from Bozeman, so that may be why I'm not seeing issues that others have had.

But this G-45 us an inexpensive model, and I'm quite impressed with the guitar in terms of tone and workmanship. This thing has a slightly different tone than my other Gibsons, but it sure sounds GOOD!

If I was going to complain about anything, the only thing that I could cone up with would be that it's...uh...plain. Really, really plain. It's so plain that it looks like something that the military would issue.

But it makes up for it in the tone and playability department, and so it can proudly take its place beside my high end Gibsons. Besides, I'm retired military, so I can live with it being plain.
Old 10-17-2021, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar Bear View Post
If I wanted to drive three hours to a dealer who won't even consider any offer below MAP, I could try before I buy.

I prefer to deal with online shops with excellent return policies. I do all my own setups and lutherie work, so I can tweak a guitar to my liking in my own workshop.

And if I get a lemon, back it goes. But I haven't had to return one yet.

As for Gibson, I have had nothing but good luck with them, and I go over new guitars with a fine-toothed comb, inside and out.

I will admit, I usually buy high end models, including two that were Custom Shop orders from Bozeman, so that may be why I'm not seeing issues that others have had.

But this G-45 us an inexpensive model, and I'm quite impressed with the guitar in terms of tone and workmanship. This thing has a slightly different tone than my other Gibsons, but it sure sounds GOOD!

If I was going to complain about anything, the only thing that I could cone up with would be that it's...uh...plain. Really, really plain. It's so plain that it looks like something that the military would issue.

But it makes up for it in the tone and playability department, and so it can proudly take its place beside my high end Gibsons. Besides, I'm retired military, so I can live with it being plain.
LOL, when you're Canadian you just get used to driving ridiculous distances and paying out the nose for things that the rest of the world takes for granted.
Old 10-17-2021, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations on a great new guitar! I have played a couple of the new Generation series and loved the G200 the most, but both were very good. I would have no qualms buying one of these. I hope it serves you well!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion