The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 10-05-2021, 04:49 AM

Default Gitano Guitar Support

Hi Guys
Anyone have any experience with one of these or some other brand of support?
I changed from the foot stool as this was breaking my back. After doing a lot of research I settled on the Gitano, it appears to be one of the most expensive brands so I thought I'd give it a shot Just for the record, this gets a majority of very good reviews on Amazon. I also think at £43.00 it's over priced, after all, it's just a small plate of thin metal, a piece of cloth and 3 small suction cups. In its defence, "When" it works its just perfect, and very comfortable. This unfortunately doesn't last as the little suction cups always pop of after about 10 or 15 minutes, and believe me, I've tried everything to make it stay stuck! but they always fail after a short time, this also results in lack of confidence as I know one or more suction cups will fail during a Gig/ performance, so it's always on my mind and that's not good.
I'm afraid it only gets worse. The Gitano only comes with 3 suction cups but has space and slots for 4? Why they left out the fourth is very strange?! I'm thinking get the fourth and maybe it will improve its reliability... I then found out the spare suction cups weren't available in the uk, I could only order from Germany, not a problem and they were very cheap, I then found out the postage cost three times the amount of the tiny rubber cap!!! Very poor all round, I wouldn't recommend one of these to anyone, it's now find an alternative or back to the hideous and back breaking footstool
Old 10-05-2021, 05:42 AM

Default Static Cling

Have used a Gitano for years. The problem may be the finish of your guitar is not conducive to good adhesion. I put a small rectangular piece of a static cling vinyl on the guitar where the suction cups attach. A little moisture on the suction cups also helps.
The static cling I use is Graflix Clear. It's sold in 9" by 12" sheets that you cut off the size needed. Haven't had it damage the finish of any guitars, but I do remove and regularly and buff the area. The suction cups are more likely to damage the finish if used alone and left on for days at a time.
Old 10-05-2021, 02:59 PM

Many better options out there. My two favourites are the Dynarette cushion and the Ergoplay - both great supports.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8A...2TVEhWes2Djrig
Old 10-05-2021, 05:27 PM

I agree with Wrighty, there are many better options. My favorite is Sageworks guitar support. It is definitely not the cheapest option, but is very efficient, always stays in place, it is elegant, and do not alter the finish of the guitar or leave marks on it. I have magnets installed inside all guitars and just switch from one to the other with the same support. If the magnets are well installed in the beginning, the set-up will always be perfect every time.

https://www.youtube.com/c/AntoinePansera
Old 10-05-2021, 05:48 PM

I use a Sageworks too (the Umbra, not the fancy Atlas). I agree with both Wrighty and supralegato, I think there are better options than the Gitano. Nothing against Gitano but it did not work with my finish so I sent it back.

I like the adjustability of the Sageworks way better and you can also by magnets separately for other guitars. I also once had a NeckUp which I preferred to the Gitano as well.
Old 10-06-2021, 05:14 AM

Another vote for Sageworks. I used Gitano for years, but the suction cups would come off in the middle of playing. I put magnets in my four classical guitars and they are comfortable and secure. One brace, but a set of magnets for each guitar. Well worth the extra money.
Old 10-06-2021, 10:19 AM

I started out with an adjustable footstool. I few months ago I looked at different support products. I bought a Dynarette cushion which I didn't like. I ended buying these sticky pads to use on my leg in conjunction with the foot stool. I have found no issues playing with this set up.
Taylor 562CE
Taylor 214CE DLX
Amalio Burguet Vanessa
Fender Player Stratocaster HSS Plus
Timberline T60HGpc
Kolaloha KTM-000 with MiSi
SunnAudio MS-2
Digital Piano Yamaha P515
Grand Piano Yamaha C3
DPA 4488
Old 10-06-2021, 02:10 PM

Another vote for the Sageworks. I have 3 copies, each attached semi-permanently to a guitar, including a Yamaha SLG200NW. I really don't need 3 copies, but they came to me somehow....

The fourth guitar, a 20 yr old Yamaha CG170-CA I keep for sentimental value, has the magnets inside its sound box.

Last edited by pentaprism; 10-06-2021 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-06-2021, 09:41 PM

I'm using the GuitarLift, and like it very much. It is very stable and easy to position for your individual preferences. It also comes in a variety of sizes to fit your individual needs. It is pricey, but I think it is the best support.
1966 Martin D-35
1972 Fender Telecaster
1976 Ryoji Matsuoka Classical No. 40
1975 Mitsuru Tamura, Model No. 1000
2013 Taylor 814c-N
1994 Heritage 576
2004 Heritage 575 Custom
2014 Godin Multiac Nylon Encore
2008 Larrivee D-03
2009 Takamine TC135Sc
YouTube
Old 10-06-2021, 11:58 PM

Default Supports

I too give the Sageworks a big thumbs up... Been using one on my Burguet 2M for over a year and love it.

I also have a Gitano on my Cordoba C10 Parlor. It's ok too, not as adjustable as the Sageworks. But the Gitano has been attached to the C10 for well over a year and has yet to come loose. The C10 has a glossy polly finish and so it takes the suction cups well.

I tried one of those foam filled faux leather pillows and I immediately sent it back.

check out Bradford Werner's youtube critique and demo of some of the supports he has tried.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24ebJ3RStGU

https://www.thisisclassicalguitar.co...itar-supports/

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical