The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 10-09-2021, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
Looks pretty straightforward to me. I mean, if you slow down the video to 0.5, it's easy enough to follow. But I can do a tab for you if you like. (I mean, I'll do it for myself anyway, and you can have it!)

EDIT: OK here you go:

Second time through, the first two bars are this:

- otherwise it's the same
Wonderful! Thank you very much!
Old 10-10-2021, 08:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOM View Post
So I'm strictly a fingerstyle player and have been a big Buckingham fan for decades. I can play a lot of his trickier tunes, but Never Going Back Again has revealed a limitation of mine. Despite having fairly large hands there is one bit that I just can't do. My hands have taken a beating over the decades and seem to have stiffened up and my fingers almost seem to want to curve inward, hard to describe.

There is another way to play this song that makes it easier (Capo 6, drop C vs Capo 4 Drop D), and I may go that route, but I can play the rest of it just fine with the capo on the 4th fret so I'm feeling stubborn.

I can fuel my GAS by shopping for a short scale guitar, so that is good news!
(current main guitar is a 25.4" scale Martin OM).

Here is the tricky bit:

Code:
--2--------2--------2-------|-----2--------2--------2----|
-----0--------5--------5----|--------5--------5----------|
--------2--------2----------|--2--------2--------2-------|
--------5-----------5-------|--------5-----------5-------|
--0-----------0-------------|--0-----------0-------------|
----------------------------|----------------------------|
Thanks for any advice!

Steve W
I would go Capo 6, Drop C tuning, no barre chords and no long stretches. That’s how I learned to play it. Much easier IMO than Capo 4, Dropped D. Why make it hard?
Kostal 12 Fret OMC (German Spruce/Koa)
Rainsong APSE 12 Fret (Carbon Fiber)
Taylor 812ce-N 12 fret (Sitka/EIR Nylon)
Old 10-10-2021, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintBob View Post
I would go Capo 6, Drop C tuning, no barre chords and no long stretches. That’s how I learned to play it. Much easier IMO than Capo 4, Dropped D. Why make it hard?
You mean CGCFAD, yes? That does reduce the stretches a little, obviously (around 1/4", which I guess makes all the difference for some).
Of course, if you didn't mind the original key being shifted up a whole step, you can do the same thing in drop D capo 6. (Just depends who's singing....)

You get interesting results from CGCGBE, capo 6. Even fewer stretches, because now you get open strings where you had fret 2 before! It does make one or two other elements of the piece a little less intuitive; but it could be useful if you had to lower the key (for whoever is singing).
Old 10-10-2021, 11:05 AM
Guitar Gourmet

I've got the same problem with "Bleed to Love Her." I've watched a video of him playing it in concert tuning by partially barring the A chord at the second fret and stretching for the melody with his pinky. I simply can't stretch that far. Instead I came up with an elegant partial capo at the second fret leaving the low E open and working around the G chord shape, I dare say it allows a cleaner sound than he gets.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-10-2021, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I've got the same problem with "Bleed to Love Her." I've watched a video of him playing it in concert tuning by partially barring the A chord at the second fret and stretching for the melody with his pinky. I simply can't stretch that far. Instead I came up with an elegant partial capo at the second fret leaving the low E open and working around the G chord shape, I dare say it allows a cleaner sound than he gets.

Bob
Yep another one with a bit of a reach. I thought I had decent sized hands (I'm 6' 1"), but I guess not. Part of it may be age, my fingers can't stretch the way they used to, and they almost seem to naturally want to curve inward. I find that in some cases I'm getting too far away from the frets with certain chords. I watched a video on Youtube of a young woman doing a great job covering a Tommy Emmanuel tune, and when I looked at the tab I said to myself no way.

Anyway, for Bleed to Love Her I settled on an arrangement with a full capo at the first fret, something like this:

Code:
   G

---------3--------3-----3--------3--------3-----
------------------------------------------------
------0--------0--------------0--------0--------
---3--------3--------3-----3--------3-----------

Gmaj7                       Dsus2

---2--------2--------2----------0--------0--------0--
-----------------------------------------------------
---------0--------0-------------------2--------2-----
-----------------------------------0--------0--------
------3--------3-----------3-------------------------

G

---------------------------------------------------------
---3--------3--------3--------------3--------3-----------
---------0--------0--------0-----0--------0--------0-----
---------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------2--------2--------2--------
------3--------3--------3--------------------------------

Gsus4                    Dsus2

---------3--------3----------------3--------3--------
------0--------0----------0-----2--------2--------2--
-----------------------------0--------0--------0-----
---3--------3--------2p0-----------------------------
Steve W
Old 10-10-2021, 03:27 PM

To those suggesting the capo 6 version I've decided that's the route I'm going to take. A little frustrated not being able to play it the way most other folks seem to be able to, and I'll still fool around with the capo 4 version here and there since I'm in drop D quite often. But SprintBob is right, why make it hard.

Thanks to all, this has been a good thread.

Steve W
Old 10-11-2021, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterOM View Post
To those suggesting the capo 6 version I've decided that's the route I'm going to take. A little frustrated not being able to play it the way most other folks seem to be able to, and I'll still fool around with the capo 4 version here and there since I'm in drop D quite often. But SprintBob is right, why make it hard.

Thanks to all, this has been a good thread.

Steve W
You know, there's enough going on with the right hand on this one. Maybe once you nail the right hand part you can go after the capo at 4 bit.
Gibson J200
Furch MC Yellow Gc-CR SPA
Guild G212
Eastman E2OM-CD
Old 10-12-2021, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
You know, there's enough going on with the right hand on this one.
I agree. Personally I don't have too much of a problem with the fret 4 stretch, but I find myself sketching the RH moves a little (not always including that 3rd string).
Old 10-12-2021, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Bob View Post
You know, there's enough going on with the right hand on this one. Maybe once you nail the right hand part you can go after the capo at 4 bit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonPR View Post
I agree. Personally I don't have too much of a problem with the fret 4 stretch, but I find myself sketching the RH moves a little (not always including that 3rd string).
Thanks, you both have good points. In my attempts at this I too have left out the third string in my picking pattern, it still sounds okay, so that is one option, I can handle x5x52. I've also played around with leaving the B note out and playing this:

Code:
-------------
-------11----
-------13----
-------11----
-------------
-------------
(after dusting off that end of the fretboard ). Of course it sounds thin without the B, so after all the teeth gnashing I'll just stick with the capo 6 version short term. Maybe. Have I mentioned I'm somewhat flaky?

Steve W

Last edited by MisterOM; 10-12-2021 at 04:03 PM. Reason: add another thought

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write