The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-03-2014, 11:38 AM

Default Action/Humidity Issues...

Hey everyone,
Newbie guitar player (started in January) here. I have some problems with the action of my guitar.
My guitar was made back in the early 1980s. My mom played it frequently for quite some time until I was born. Then, it was just sitting around in its case for about 18 years in my parents' room in northern New England. So, as a result, there are some issues with it.
My biggest issue is that the neck dives off very noticeably into the body at the sound hole:

This makes the action uncomfortably high and it makes the guitar difficult to play, especially nearing the 12th fret.

I worked with a lesson teacher back at school (now out for summer) and he said that my action will improve when the guitar absorbs more moisture. He said that it was very dry.
I've tried several methods to lower the action. I've lowered the saddle multiple times, I've adjusted the truss rod, I've tried the shower method (steam humidifies the guitar) a couple of times, and I've had a Planet Waves humidifier in the sound hole for 2-3 months at this point, but the neck has yet to bend back. Further, the action remains high.
Planet Waves humidifier:

Just today I added a second humidifier - a sponge in a baggie with poked out holes:

I've lowered the saddle to the point that I needed to put some paper under the low and high E strings or they buzz - I'll be buying a new saddle soon:

Yet even with all of these measures, I still face the same problem. So, will my efforts with humidifying the guitar and lowering the action eventually pay off, or am I doomed to be stuck with a high action on this guitar?
Any and all advice is welcome.
Old 06-03-2014, 12:32 PM

First of all welcome to the forum. From your pictures & description it looks like your guitar may need a neck reset. Rehumidifying while a good idea won't correct the need for a neck reset. I'd suggest taking it to a good guitar repair person and have them check it out. If you let us know where you're located I'm sure someone can recommend a good guitar tech. If it hasn't been played for 18 years getting it completely checked out for any other possible issues is the first thing I'd do.
Regards,
Ed
Old 06-03-2014, 12:33 PM

Take it to a local luthier and have a good setup done and good once over. It's worth the small coin to do so. Also, forget those in-hole humidifiers. Get a simple room humidifier at walmart and a hygrometer online or at a music shop. It's much easier to keep your room a certain level than the guitar itself.

and way too many picks...
Old 06-03-2014, 01:21 PM

If a neck reset is required, a lot will depend on the make and model of the instrument, as that repair will be expensive and may exceed the value of the guitar.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro
Old 06-03-2014, 02:54 PM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. From what it sounds like, I'll definitely make time to bring my guitar into a shop around here. I live up in the Burlington, VT area, so I'll check out a couple of places.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:42 PM

Its hard to tell from just looking at your photos but if I had to guess, given the evidence provided, ( age of guitar, very low saddle height, fretboard looks a bit off) I would say neck reset needed. Dont know the make. That, along with other considerations would be the determining factor on a reset. You can buy lots of good guitars for 4 -500 dollars now.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:54 PM

Jake Wildwood is in Rochester, VT, about an hour and a half from you...he does very reasonable work. Check out his blog at http://antebelluminstruments.blogspot.com
Old 06-03-2014, 07:05 PM

I agree with everyone here. There likely isn't too much that you could do other than a neck reset.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:18 PM

Alright, thanks again everyone. Looks like the only realistic option is a neck reset. I may just have to deal with it for the near future, but I'll still check out my options. Perhaps I'll be able to have something figured out by the end of the summer. I appreciate all of the help!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, humidification, neck, saddle