The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-09-2022, 12:51 PM

Very nice work as usual, Tim and Mary. Great choices on the Tonewoods, Matt. I’ve known the McKnight family for 15 years and it’s always a treat to see these threads, visit their workshop every June and try out some fine guitars. I envy you though. One of their 6 strings has never followed me home, though I’ve played many!

Mary, how does ziricote taste?
Old 01-09-2022, 10:49 PM

thanks guys looks like its coming along really well. I'm still excited to see how the inlays from Harvey will look like.
Old 01-10-2022, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Congrats, Matt! I embarked on the same journey around this time last year. And as you and others have stated here, you have picked the best people to work with. From start to finish, they went above and beyond to get me exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful woods you've chosen!

Best to you.
Old 01-10-2022, 08:47 PM

Like you, Matt, I stumbled on the McKnights and felt an immediate sense of being at ease and in good hands (well, until Tim took me up to the loft and blindfolded me, but fortunately started handing me guitars to truly 'listen' to as I played rather than holding me for ransom, as if that would've gained him anything).

I had talked with or met nearly twenty luthiers before visiting Greater Metropolitan Morral. Something clicked with Tim and Mary on that first visit, and a check for the downpayment was in their hands before I pulled out of their driveway. I consider both of 'em dear friends and am so grateful for their place in my life.

That first McKnight build was nearly sixteen years ago. I've had the pleasure of playing many of Tim's guitars in the years since and taking more than my share home. My hope is that you've listened carefully to his guidance; he will not steer you wrong.

Enjoy the ride.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjhturbo View Post
Congrats, Matt! I embarked on the same journey around this time last year. And as you and others have stated here, you have picked the best people to work with. From start to finish, they went above and beyond to get me exactly what I was looking for. Beautiful woods you've chosen!

Best to you.
Thank you so much for the affirmation. Yes indeed this community speaks volume of Tim and Mary. what can i say... the are just lovely genuine people.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Like you, Matt, I stumbled on the McKnights and felt an immediate sense of being at ease and in good hands (well, until Tim took me up to the loft and blindfolded me, but fortunately started handing me guitars to truly 'listen' to as I played rather than holding me for ransom, as if that would've gained him anything).

I had talked with or met nearly twenty luthiers before visiting Greater Metropolitan Morral. Something clicked with Tim and Mary on that first visit, and a check for the downpayment was in their hands before I pulled out of their driveway. I consider both of 'em dear friends and am so grateful for their place in my life.

That first McKnight build was nearly sixteen years ago. I've had the pleasure of playing many of Tim's guitars in the years since and taking more than my share home. My hope is that you've listened carefully to his guidance; he will not steer you wrong.

Enjoy the ride.

absolutely. I had the same experience as you did.. virtually of course because of Covid and Omnicron hahaha! How is that guitar of yours coming along after all these years? Aged beautifully i suppose
Old 01-11-2022, 09:18 PM

Bindings are going up. always gotta tell myself " be patient" HAHAHHA

Old 01-11-2022, 09:25 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt1992 View Post

Zircote Back

Back & Sides

Holy cow! It doesn’t get much prettier than that—great score!

Steve

Crafted in the Piney Woods
Old 01-12-2022, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kinnaird View Post
Holy cow! It doesn’t get much prettier than that—great score!

Steve
Thank you Brother Steve
Old 01-12-2022, 06:38 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Mary, how does ziricote taste?

After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods but Zircote tempted me and I can assure you it has a pleasant mellow nutty wooded flavor.

I probably would have been quite comfortable walking the lands with Euell Gibbons.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:12 AM
AGF Sponsor

FYI:
Winter will play havoc on your guitar fretboard. Do yourself a favor and don't skip using Tim's fretboard balm treatment during indoor dry air. Orders have been coming in. Be alert to the calling out of your guitar in younger years and as she ages you both will be grateful to your great parenting skills to keep her healthy.

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 01-12-2022, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods but Zircote tempted me and I can assure you it has a pleasant mellow nutty wooded flavor.

I probably would have been quite comfortable walking the lands with Euell Gibbons.

nutty wooded flavor. this sounds like a very good cup of coffee which i will need every morning. I struggle to sleep everynight, i think its because of this guitar.
Old 01-13-2022, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary View Post
After experiencing Kurt's Cocobolo (shredded glass on the neck feeling) I think I might be a bit more wise in taste testing some woods...
Just for clarification, Mary wasn't truly taste-testing the cocobolo but rather struggled with an allergic reaction to it, as I recall, on that first build of mine many moons ago. And yes, Matt, that particular guitar has aged splendidly -- much better than I have, certainly.
Old 01-13-2022, 08:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eire View Post
Just for clarification, Mary wasn't truly taste-testing the cocobolo but rather struggled with an allergic reaction to it, as I recall, on that first build of mine many moons ago. And yes, Matt, that particular guitar has aged splendidly -- much better than I have, certainly.
You are correct Eire. During your build we did discover that Mary does have a severe allergy to Cocobolo dust so we have to be very careful working with it. That incident led us to install the massive dust collection system in our shop. Others my have noticed the 8” diameter green pipes running throughout the shop. The pipes connect each stationary power tool to our vacuum system which does a good job of evacuating wood dust at the machine source. It’s certainly not a sterile environment but it’s worked well for us.
Old 01-14-2022, 10:31 AM

Now i know i shall not choose cocobolo wood for Mary's Health sake! I am already starting to think what i should do for my next build, in a couple of years time. Something tells me that this will be an amazing piece. I CANT WAIT!!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop