The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-19-2022, 02:08 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1neeto View Post
He is undoubtedly the greatest quarterback of all time. Anyone who still argues that is simply a hater. Remember how the Bucs looked less than perfect last season until the playoffs, and they became a completely different beast. That’s the post season Brady factor. The guy just knows how to win post season games.
You can’t argue with his record and by that metric, he’s the obvious GOAT. He’s clearly the sport’s greatest competitor. But I’d rather watch Aaron Rodgers play all day long - he’s got the most amazing pure quarterback skill set I’ve ever seen. To me, he’s football’s John McEnroe, a jerk off the field (actually, a jerk ON the court too in Mac’s case), not it’s greatest champion, but a pure artist at the game. I sort of see Brady like Borg to Rodger’s MacEnroe - they were amazing rivals, Borg beat Mac way more than Mac beat Borg, Borg was obviously the greater champion, but McEnroe’s game was so much more creative, interesting and downright beautiful to watch. Mahomes is a similar kind of QB to Rodgers - time will tell how much of a champion he is, but he can be as much fun to watch as Rodgers.

Brady I respect totally, and he seems like an OK bloke, but he’s not near as much fun to watch for me. I watch him a lot, because when there’s a big game, he’s usually in it. But when Brady finally leaves the game, I won’t miss him a bit, yet I can’t get enough of watching Rodgers, and when he retires, I’ll cry at his press conference. When Aaron Rodgers is on TV, it’s appointment viewing for me. And I frankly can’t stand the guy, but he’s he’s THAT great to watch.

-Ray

Last edited by raysachs; 01-19-2022 at 02:21 AM.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysachs View Post
You can’t argue with his record and by that metric, he’s the obvious GOAT. He’s clearly the sport’s greatest competitor. But I’d rather watch Aaron Rodgers play all day long - he’s got the most amazing pure quarterback skill set I’ve ever seen. To me, he’s football’s John McEnroe, a jerk off the field (actually, a jerk ON the court too in Mac’s case), not it’s greatest champion, but a pure artist at the game. I sort of see Brady like Borg to Rodger’s MacEnroe - they were amazing rivals, Borg beat Mac way more than Mac beat Borg, Borg was obviously the greater champion, but McEnroe’s game was so much more creative, interesting and downright beautiful to watch. Mahomes is a similar kind of QB to Rodgers - time will tell how much of a champion he is, but he can be as much fun to watch as Rodgers.

Brady I respect totally, and he seems like an OK bloke, but he’s not near as much fun to watch for me. I watch him a lot, because when there’s a big game, he’s usually in it. But when Brady finally leaves the game, I won’t miss him a bit, yet I can’t get enough of watching Rodgers, and when he retires, I’ll cry at his press conference. When Aaron Rodgers is on TV, it’s appointment viewing for me. And I frankly can’t stand the guy, but he’s he’s THAT great to watch.

-Ray

From an athletic standpoint, Brady is far from the best, even during his prime. He may not be the most explosive mobile quarterback with a beyond human arm, but what he knows to do is win games. His pre-snap wits is what makes him so great. Not his passing, his rushing (lol), but just how he just seems to find a way to pull it through. Winning games is the bottom line, and he’s the greatest of all time at that.
Old 01-19-2022, 05:57 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
From an athletic standpoint, Brady is far from the best, even during his prime. He may not be the most explosive mobile quarterback with a beyond human arm, but what he knows to do is win games. His pre-snap wits is what makes him so great. Not his passing, his rushing (lol), but just how he just seems to find a way to pull it through. Winning games is the bottom line, and he’s the greatest of all time at that.
Yeah, agreed. I have to say, during his New England days, I had some some real chicken vs egg questions about him and Belichek, how much did one depend on the other for their success. I was pretty sure Belichek was the greatest coach of all time and Brady was a great QB but might not have been as great in another organization with a different coach / GM. But what he’s done in his first nearly two years at Tampa at his advanced age has put those questions fully to rest. Now I wonder if Belichek can ever be nearly as successful without Brady as he was with him. He was originally thought of as a great defensive coach, but what Buffalo did to his defense last week was a total dismantling. So I’m less sure about him than I was. But to the extent I was reserving my judgement about Brady, I’m not anymore. Not my favorite QB, but clearly the greatest winner / champion / competitor the game has ever seen, and likely ever will.

-Ray
Old 01-19-2022, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
He is undoubtedly the greatest quarterback of all time. Anyone who still argues that is simply a hater. Remember how the Bucs looked less than perfect last season until the playoffs, and they became a completely different beast. That’s the post season Brady factor. The guy just knows how to win post season games.

I am a hater, but still have to admit he is that good.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

From my perspective there were no surprises in the Wild Card round. I suppose Dallas losing was technically an upset, but I for one did not see them as a favorite against the 49ers even at home.
Just for the record on that game though (saw a number of comments) McCarthy doesn’t call the plays in Dallas. OC Kellen Moore does. And though there is much wailing and gnashing of teeth in Dallas I don’t see McCarthy getting fired UNLESS Jerry decides to make current DC Dan Quinn head coach rather that let another team make him one. He’s had at least 3 interviews
Old 01-19-2022, 03:14 PM

Quote:
That Brady combine photo comes to mind .
Old 01-19-2022, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Yeah, agreed. I have to say, during his New England days, I had some some real chicken vs egg questions about him and Belichek, how much did one depend on the other for their success. I was pretty sure Belichek was the greatest coach of all time and Brady was a great QB but might not have been as great in another organization with a different coach / GM. But what he’s done in his first nearly two years at Tampa at his advanced age has put those questions fully to rest. Now I wonder if Belichek can ever be nearly as successful without Brady as he was with him. He was originally thought of as a great defensive coach, but what Buffalo did to his defense last week was a total dismantling. So I’m less sure about him than I was. But to the extent I was reserving my judgement about Brady, I’m not anymore. Not my favorite QB, but clearly the greatest winner / champion / competitor the game has ever seen, and likely ever will.

-Ray

Yeah I understand the fun to watch factor. After all, we watch football to be entertained. Belichick is still a great coach, he’s definitely not the same without Brady, but Mac Jones shows promise. Only time will tell, but if we forget last game, you have to admit that the Patriots played an outstanding regular season with a rookie quarterback.
Old 01-19-2022, 06:15 PM

The question I'm still thinking over today is

Who made the worst mistakes last weekend? Murray or Prescott?

Your thoughts?
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-19-2022, 07:11 PM

My thoughts are not as much about who made the worst mistakes.
It was pretty bad. Does it include coaches?
But, what I really think about is these worst mistakes came
against the two remaining NFC West playoff teams.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:33 PM

There's a story in my newsfeed today about Brady bragging about how he likes to talk trash to the referees during a game, and they have to take it because he's a star. Its that kind of character defect that loses respect.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
The question I'm still thinking over today is

Who made the worst mistakes last weekend? Murray or Prescott?

Your thoughts?

Prescott didn’t make many mistakes. His boys kept getting pre snap penalties and he kept getting sacked.
Old 01-20-2022, 12:41 PM

Quote:

-Ray
I use to be a fan of Rogers. Until about the midpoint of this season. Now I actively want him to lose.
Old 01-20-2022, 01:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
I use to be a fan of Rogers. Until about the midpoint of this season. Now I actively want him to lose.
Well, this is one of those situations where I have to hold two roughly contradictory thoughts in my head at the same time. As I noted I can't stand the guy, not entirely because of stuff he did this season, but exacerbated by it for sure. But I can't deny I marvel at him when I watch him play. And enjoy it on the level of that, without endorsing anything else about him. I don't have any great desire to see him win, except to the extent it allows him to keep playing so I get a chance to keep watching him.

Similarly, some of my favorite musicians I can't even begin to endorse as people, or in some cases even tolerate. The Rolling Stones are about my favorite band ever, but in their earlier days, they wrote some songs with some of the most misogynistic and sexist lyrics imaginable. Some of which I can't even play or sing any longer. I detest that about them, I don't know whether they still hold those views or if, hopefully, they've grown since then. But regardless, I freaking LOVE so much of their music. I'm aware of what I don't like about them, but what I do like about them, I like so freaking much, that I set the stuff I don't like to one side when I'm listening to them. Similarly with Eric Clapton, a great musician who hasn't covered himself in glory over the past year or two. I don't like what he's been saying, but I still love a lot of his music and play a good bit of it.

I'm often conflicted about people these days - I can't write them off completely because of things I don't like about them...

-Ray
Old 01-20-2022, 02:34 PM

Interesting stat I read today... This is the 11th time that a Super Bowl champion played in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs the following year (Bucs). The other 10 times that team didn't make it past the Divisional round (which is this week-end).

Rams at Bucs should be a great game. Thinking the Rams will be able to sack Brady at least 3 times.
Old 01-20-2022, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Interesting stat I read today... This is the 11th time that a Super Bowl champion played in the Wild Card Round of the playoffs the following year (Bucs). The other 10 times that team didn't make it past the Divisional round (which is this week-end).

Rams at Bucs should be a great game. Thinking the Rams will be able to sack Brady at least 3 times.
Last I looked, Bucs were missing a couple of O linemen due to injury.

Brady is the master of the quick throw, though.

Should definitely be a good game. Looking forward to it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic