The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-18-2022, 01:19 PM

Default eBay seller, FedEx nightmare…maybe

On Saturday I ordered a pretty expensive set of used golf clubs from a highly rated eBay seller in Florida. I had not used my eBay account in years (Lesson #1).

The original shipment heads up was sometime next week to my home in Pennsylvania. I got an e-mail yesterday telling me delivery via fedex was expected today.

My eyes nearly leapt from my skull when I saw where it was shipping…some hodgepodge address in Florida that made zero sense. A total mix up of numbers and punctuation. The city was in lower CAPS…it was indecipherable.

I immediately contact the seller to ask what was going on and they said that was my address. Looked at eBay setting and, sure enough, the mess was my preferred address.

6 or 8 messages to the Seller went unanswered. In the meantime, I looked up the address in Google maps and it didn’t register.

At 11:00 this morning I get a delivery notification from FedEx. Proof of shipments included a signature but no address.

Ther Sellers got back and said there was nothing they could do as they shipped to the address on file.

I opened disputes with my credit card company, eBay and FedEx.

I talked with the good folks at FedEx who told me to “delete the period and the slash, that’s where we delivered.” Looked it up on Maps and it’s a vacant lot. Great.

(This was after she insisted “we deliver to the address as listed”. When I pointed out that was not the case she hung up on me.). Lesson #2-FedEx, you’re dead to me.

eBay, after getting to the correct person, told me they would reach out to the Seller and if I didn’t get satisfaction from them to call eBay back and they would refund my money. Lesson #3-hope they weren’t lying to me!

In this whole mess I’m reminded of a couple of the biggest problems we sometimes face in this crazy world we’re living in:
  • Nobody thinks anymore. The FedEx guy pulls up to a vacant lot in a major city and drops off a set of golf clubs to a random guy and there’s no wondering about this? The shipper doesn’t look at a label and go “Wow….that’s a really messed up address. Maybe I should reach out to the Buyer.”
  • Companies don’t encourage their employees to think. See above.
  • eBay was so casual about my account being hacked. How often does this happen? Lesson #4–change all your passwords, delete your CC info and wean yourself off social media.

Hoping for a happy outcome…although I really wanted those golf clubs.
Old 01-18-2022, 01:43 PM
Charter Member

No point in beating you up over mistakes made - you've done a great job of that. Just wanted to say sorry for this headache....
Martin 000-15sm
Old 01-18-2022, 03:22 PM

Lesson #1 - check out your seller before making offers
Lesson #2 - make sure your own info is correct (?!?!?!)
Lesson 3 - never use FedEx (for ANY reason)

Sorry this happened to you but it looks like it's not on your seller (or eBay) at this point.
Old 01-18-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Sorry this happened to you but it looks like it's not on your seller (or eBay) at this point.
You’re likely right. I feel like a dope. Yes, it’s the money, but it’s also being duped. That’s kind of stings the most.

I have fraud protection on my CC so hoping that comes through as a last resort.

Once this is resolved I’ll be deleting my eBay account for sure…
Old 01-18-2022, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

OP sorry for your experience, that sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619TF View Post
Lesson 3 - never use FedEx (for ANY reason)
AMEN!!!!!!!

Going through hades with them right now with an inbound instrument from an AGFer in Canada. Not his fault but it's taking over three weeks to clear customs and get here, idiots.
Old 01-18-2022, 06:13 PM
Charter Member

By the way, you aren't the only one. I didn't change my preferred address on eBay and had a package delivered to Puerto Rico instead of Iowa. So don't beat yourself up, it happens.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/

Last edited by rllink; 01-18-2022 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:24 AM

OP here….the plot thickens.

OK, so first, I am now convinced that my account got hacked somewhere between pushing the Buy button and making payment. Theoretically, it’s no one’s fault and I got fleeced.

The weird, rambling address that didn’t make sense? I removed a digit or two and was directed to a business in Miami which has BBB reports of eBay theft. Exactly the same thing that happened to me.

Finding that the hack ship scam isn’t all that uncommon which is why I’m going to delete my eBay account when this is finalized.

I am tempted to call the Miami police to report this though I’m pretty sure it won’t amount to anything. I will most certainly call the business and let them have its over th phone.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:54 AM
Charter Member

Boy, that sucks. A person can't let their guard down for a second. I know I keep pushing myself to always double check everything when I order something. Thieves are relentless though.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-19-2022, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacot23 View Post
OP sorry for your experience, that sucks.

Going through hades with them right now with an inbound instrument from an AGFer in Canada. Not his fault but it's taking over three weeks to clear customs and get here, idiots.
I got a guitar from Canada last year Canadian/US Parcel Post, and it got hung up in customs also for almost two weeks , so that part anyway is a CAN and US customs issue, not actually FED EX

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Ventura 12.2.1
Old 01-19-2022, 01:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post

I am tempted to call the Miami police to report this though I’m pretty sure it won’t amount to anything. I will most certainly call the business and let them have its over th phone.
If it comes to it, the State Attorney General's Office might be a better place to report it. Not that the Miami Police wouldn't be interested, but as a municipal police department their reach isn't usually multi jurisdictional, especially when the victim isn't even in the same state. It only takes a call to report it.

Taylor GS Mini Mahogany.
Guild D-20
Gretsch Streamliner
Morgan Monroe MNB-1w

https://www.minnesotabluegrass.org/
Old 01-19-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rllink View Post
If it comes to it, the State Attorney General's Office might be a better place to report it. Not that the Miami Police wouldn't be interested, but as a municipal police department their reach isn't usually multi jurisdictional, especially when the victim isn't even in the same state. It only takes a call to report it.
Actually in the USA it's the FBI that handles this kind of stuff. Here's where you can report cybercrime: https://www.ic3.gov/
Old 01-20-2022, 12:18 PM

Ebay agreement says you are responsible for having correct shipping address. You did not have a correct shipping address, and that is your problem. Ebay may or may not foot the bill but they will not take the sellers money. That would be silly.

This has nothing to do with Fedex or the seller. Or your credit card company. You trying to involve the CC company, or the seller says more about you than the scammers
Old 01-20-2022, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post
Ebay agreement says you are responsible for having correct shipping address. You did not have a correct shipping address, and that is your problem. Ebay may or may not foot the bill but they will not take the sellers money. That would be silly.

This has nothing to do with Fedex or the seller. Or your credit card company. You trying to involve the CC company, or the seller says more about you than the scammers
Well, that’s a tad harsh, don’t you think? I’m worse than a scammer because I’m investigating ways to get whole after being scammed?

I am resigned to the loss at this point. The only party I hold accountable (and it’s not going to do me a bit of good) is the Seller who had 24 hours too contact FedEx and did not. FedEx told me that could have stopped delivery-even though it was on the truck-if the Seller had gone on line and requested that. They have over 30,000 reviews they didn’t do that.

As to your post…I find it pretty offensive that you’d jump on me. Hope you never have to go through this and suffer the wrath of a keyboard warrior like yourself.
Old 01-21-2022, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovation1 View Post

Wait....OP is pretty sure that the "seller" is a scammer, that OP's account was hacked and a phony address was somehow entered that diverted his order to an address that has been associated with similar fraudulent "deliveries" of items purchased on Ebay. And his posts are complaints about the various clues that should have tipped off FedEx, and that should prompt a different response from Ebay (since there is previous documentation of this type of scam).

Everyone is entitled to an opinion about who should bear the financial responsibility for what has happened. Perhaps ideally, there should be a mediation session that divvies up the financial burden between OP for not doing a better job of protecting his account, and FedEx for claiming that they obtained a signature from someone at the vacant lot, and Ebay for not implementing effective fraud protection against something that seems like a detectable scam (they could flag any address that has unusual characters in it, and/or delay the processing of transactions to someone who has recently changed their delivery address, sending emails to buyer and seller that would involve verification; the only reason they might not do so is that it would cost them money to develop such a procedure, and would not bring any additional income). However, I think your insinuation about OP's character is off base, and IMO, it is not consistent with the AGF guideline to be nice.
Old 01-21-2022, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

I've had guitars supposedly delivered that requested a signature and emailed FedEx about it and they never ever responded.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic