The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-18-2022, 11:18 PM

I have avoided going to check one out because I don't think I will be able to not leave with out it..... I have said to myself I have 15 acoustics and I should sell one before I buy another.....Here's the problem I can't make up my mind as to which one to sell. I 've had one in particular for 40 years and still play it. I'm going to have to do something because I don't want to miss the boat on one.
Old 01-19-2022, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I recently got an aged D28 Custom Authentic and I've had quite a few really nice D28s (D28AA, Collings CW Brazilian, Santa Cruz Tony Rice Brazilian, Prewar HD EIR, Merrill C-21, Merrill C-28 Brazilian, Collings D2HAT, Collings D2HGT, Edmonds D-28) and I think this is my favorite of all of those.
Old 01-19-2022, 09:01 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
I recently got an aged D28 Custom Authentic and I've had quite a few really nice D28s (D28AA, Collings CW Brazilian, Santa Cruz Tony Rice Brazilian, Prewar HD EIR, Merrill C-21, Merrill C-28 Brazilian, Collings D2HAT, Collings D2HGT, Edmonds D-28) and I think this is my favorite of all of those.
^^ Boom.

There you have it.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-19-2022, 11:44 AM

Wow! Thanks all. Happy with my decision. Should be coming in the mail tomorrow form TME. Been a long time since a proper acoustic NGD. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJesse View Post
If that’s not an endorsement, I don’t know what is. Congrats, op!
Old 01-19-2022, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempotantrum View Post
I found a used one about a month ago but made sure I could return it if I couldn't handle the neck. Turns out the neck is fine and the guitar is about as good as your going to find without going true vintage. I have a 39" D18AA and a Collings D1ATS and I love them each, but the 37' D28AA is the one I am picking up the most. It is not what I grab for fast lead break/fiddle tunes, but it has the most amazing warmth and depth of tone that makes it a joy to sing with and work on new songs. It is a very inspiring guitar. It is significantly heavier that the D18!
Ain't it the truth. I had a buddy come over with a '48 D-28 and there was just a balance, complexity, and buttery smoothness that the '37 Authentic couldn't match. But short of that kind of guitar, I've not played anything I've liked better.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:17 PM

I have the Martin in this video (same model I mean). It’s a great all around guitar

https://youtu.be/IE7MxTZF0ho
Gibson Nick Lucas L 100 Maple

Quantity and quality of my guitars should not be seen as indicative of the quality of my playing ability
Old 01-19-2022, 01:23 PM
Charter Member

I'm not really looking to add anything at this point, but recently was intrigued to see that these Expert Authentics are starting to show up in 18 series i.e. mahogany back/sides, and I believe with the neck they used for the 1937 Authentic a few years back. Music Emporium has one in stock, and being a hog fan I'm hoping to get a chance to play one of these.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I'm not really looking to add anything at this point, but recently was intrigued to see that these Expert Authentics are starting to show up in 18 series i.e. mahogany back/sides, and I believe with the neck they used for the 1937 Authentic a few years back..............
Mike: A "Martin Custom Shop Experts" dealer I know quite well told me last year there was cut-off (in 2021) for ordering Custom Shop Expert Authentic 1937 D-28's and 000-28's(I purchased one), but that deliveries on those ordered would continue well into 2022. He believed that Martin was going to do a similar limited time run of other models in the same line of "Custom Shop Expert Authentic fill in the blank".....Maybe that's the D-18 you noted above? (I was surprised to see that D-18 at Music Emporium has/had (it sold) a VTS top while the D-28 and 000-28 "Custom Expert Authentics" were not offered with VTS.) I'm a Martin fan, but they're sure making it difficult to keep track of the various lines IMHO.

Last edited by gmel555; 01-19-2022 at 02:10 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 02:13 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeInBethesda View Post
I'm not really looking to add anything at this point, but recently was intrigued to see that these Expert Authentics are starting to show up in 18 series i.e. mahogany back/sides, and I believe with the neck they used for the 1937 Authentic a few years back. Music Emporium has one in stock, and being a hog fan I'm hoping to get a chance to play one of these.
If you're referring to the one at TME, that was a custom one off order. And I'll bet the neck block simply says "Custom Shop" as is typical for anything dealer created as opposed to officially created by Martin.

The neck block on the D-28CAA says "Custom Shop" in script followed by "D-28 Custom Authentic Aged" on the next 2 lines.

If Martin plans to introduce a D-18CAA at some point, which I think will happen, it will also be at a more rational price point than the TME custom, which was $6700 or thereabouts. How can that be if the sticker price of the official D-28CAA is $6125 ? Makes no sense. If there is an official D-18CAA at some point, it will need to be priced in the 5s. My 2c.

For Sale: 2023 Collings D2H 1 3/4 Nut, Adi Bracing, NTB -- $4250 shipped
Old 01-19-2022, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Strait Music has one as well, at a VERY high price point, which I assume relates to the general increase in prices; these have VTS tops which would add something, though I don't know what the up charge is for VTS. The person I spoke with at Strait indicated that the one they have was part of a limited series Martin is offering through their expert dealers, not a one-off.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:10 PM
Charter Member

Brent & Mike: The listing at Music Emporium indicates it's an extension of the Custom Shop Expert Authentic 1937 line following up on the D-28 & 000-28,
".....thanks to the Martin Custom Shop's new 'Expert Authentic' program, we've brought it back! This guitar is, essentially, a D-18A 1937...."
I agree it's a hefty price jump from the D & 000 versions.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:36 PM

At this point, any of the guitars with Authentic features that are not the 000-28 or D-28 is a one-off. Dealers may now order those features, but you pay for them a la carte (i.e expensive).

I agree with Brencat that it's likely Martin will add mahogany variants, (and I hope they do), but pricing needs to be lower than the EIR versions.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 01-19-2022, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
At this point, any of the guitars with Authentic features that are not the 000-28 or D-28 is a one-off. Dealers may now order those features, but you pay for them a la carte (i.e expensive).
That makes sense. It explains why that D-18 isn't shown on Martin's website, the price and the VTS.
Old 01-19-2022, 08:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJNies View Post
I agree with Brencat that it's likely Martin will add mahogany variants, (and I hope they do), but pricing needs to be lower than the EIR versions.
It will be. But they're gonna raise prices on the 28s first

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion