The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Right On Paul!

Aloha K&G,

Thank you for this really great thread & your personal related stories & reflections in the last post & beyond. All I can say is "good on ya mate," Paul. You ARE a Beatle at heart, K&G.

I hope they will inspire more AGFer's to check out that amazing Beatles "Get Back" documentary on Disney Plus TV.

Personally, I related the most to who George was in the Beatles. All those riffs! And all those pent-up amazing songs later on "All Things Must Pass." Wow! Loved the guy! Miss him!

Unlike the Beatles, who hated playing live after '64, I LIVED for my nightly live gigs (maybe 12-13,000 overall?). I always MUCH preferred playing live for folks compared to the grind & my limitations alone in a static, un-peopled studio. That was more for fun, especially with DAW's.

Of course, I would have loved it if girls had tried to tear my clothes off on-stage (sometimes they did on my break - Ha!) or if I were able to play through a U67 or the most current ANALOG gear in my 20's instead of much later in life with digital tools. Ha!

Of course, I didn't have George Martin sitting next to me either.... could you imagine that, K&G?!?

Do you have an all-time favorite Beatles song, K&G?

For Me, there are so many Beatles favorites that mine vary with the season or with my long-ago memories. Ex: In '63, Bonnie Salas & I did it on the HS auditorium stage in the middle of the day (we couldn't wait to "Do It In The Road!". Luckily, "No one will be watching us!" My favorite song associated with that memory was "She Loves You": Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya!!!!!!

Beatles songs are often my portal into the details of those long ago teen-age memories (thank God!). Where would we all be without those Four Liverpudlian Lads?!? Sheesh! They still live for guys like you & me. "GET BACK to where you once belonged!"

Mahalo a nui, Knives & Guitars!
alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 01-11-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohachris View Post
"She Loves You": Ya! Ya! Ya! Ya!!!!!!
I think that version was only played in Minnesota.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 01-11-2022, 11:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Aloha K&G,

Do you have an all-time favorite Beatles song, K&G?

alohachris
Oh boy, that would be like asking which of your offspring is your favorite....ha ha ONE? Impossible to choose.
With that being said...I will choose one of my absolute favorites...Because of Magnitude of which it was recorded( as this is the Recording side of the forum.
Iconic song, Iconic words that hit home. A joint venture of two completely different styles by Lennon for the Main melody, and McCartney for the middle...and somehow they blend perfectly...
And then, a most amazing recording...with full orchestra and to top it off...and End chord that took many keyboards to make....What an ending!
Not sure, recording wise that anything had ever been done to that technical difficulty before. This song has it all. And to top it off a recording technological wonder.
So the one song I choose is because of its incredible recording technology, Mixing, blending....None other than " A Day in the Life "
Old 01-12-2022, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Default Absolutely!

Allha Knives & Guitars,

I totally agree with "Day In The Life" as your Beatles choice!

It is as dramatic as that opening chord was on "Hard Day's Night." Its ascending crescendo at the end of that "trip" was so scary & yet astonishing at once. Almost as intense as that huge Gong Finale Release to end "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues & their 'Days of Future Past' album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFQ...&start_radio=1

In or out of an altered state, those endings were as emotional as it ever got in pop music - ever, IMO.

Again, could the Lads have pulled such a creation as off without Mr. Martin sitting there with his ears & experience. There was NO LIMIT as to what the Beatles were capable of creating together, even beyond music. They changed the world, the times & our lives, my friend.

Thanks again, K&G! I can still feel the chills!

alohachris

Last edited by alohachris; 01-12-2022 at 03:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

Interestingly enough "A Day In The Life" was one always played in my set list when I was gigging. And while obviously not able make the huge piano ending on an acoustic guitar I could however strum the E chord pretty hard and make it ring and sustain.
The other Beatles "song less played" on acoustic guitar, and in my set list (that I thought was kinda cool) was "Fool On The Hill".

Then besides those two, the others that were always in my set list and crowd pleasers were, Nowhere Man -- You've Go Hide Your Love Away, and the ubiquitous -- With a Little Help From My Friends

Here is the version of Nowhere Man I would play while gigging (sans the ability to back myself up on vocal) And BTW an example of that ADK Z Mod 251 I mentioned in another thread

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 01-12-2022 at 09:33 AM.
Old 01-12-2022, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Interestingly enough "A Day In The Life" was one always played in my set list when I was gigging. And while obviously not able make the huge piano ending on an acoustic guitar I could however strum the E chord pretty hard and make it ring and sustain.
The other Beatles "song less played" on acoustic guitar, and in my set list (that I thought was kinda cool) was "Fool On The Hill".

Then besides those two, the others that were always in my set list and crowd pleasers were, Nowhere Man -- You've Go Hide Your Love Away, and the ubiquitous -- With a Little Help From My Friends

Here is the version of Nowhere Man I would play while gigging (sans the ability to back myself up on vocal) And BTW an example of that ADK Z Mod 251 I mentioned in another thread

I had the biggest smile on my face while listening to your rendition. You are living proof that we can all be young again. That is my biggest goal to always be young...inside anyways.
I especially love the Vocal sound. So very smooth. Which even becomes more apparent when the full, smooth, round harmonies.

Quote:
Allha Knives & Guitars,

I totally agree with "Day In The Life" as your Beatles choice!

It is as dramatic as that opening chord was on "Hard Day's Night." Its ascending crescendo at the end of that "trip" was so scary & yet astonishing at once. Almost as intense as that huge Gong Finale Release to end "Nights in White Satin" by the Moody Blues & their 'Days of Future Past' album:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFQ...&start_radio=1

In or out of an altered state, those endings were as emotional as it ever got in pop music - ever, IMO.

Again, could the Lads have pulled such a creation as off without Mr. Martin sitting there with his ears & experience. There was NO LIMIT as to what the Beatles were capable of creating together, even beyond music. They changed the world, the times & our lives, my friend.

Thanks again, K&G! I can still feel the chills!

alohachris
When anybody ever asks me what my favorite groups are I tell them the main four are "The Moody Blues" "The Who" "The Rolling Stones" and of course "The Beatles".
The Moody Blues hold and extra special place in my heart. My real first musical romance is with them. The first time that I heard music that expanded into a other worldly realms. Crying voices, stretching out in both time and space, using deep reverbs.
And it was because of them that I Purchase a Chamberlain(the inventor of the Mellotron) and also bought a U87(Justin's vocal mic of choice back then).
"Days of Future Past" was the beginning of Rock leading into another world blending new with old. This masterpiece successfully blended electric guitars, acoustic guitars, rock rhythms , and Symphonic Orchestration. I believe this album in particular had great influence on so many other bands: including, ELP, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.
Thanks to the great explanations in the other two threads of Phase and Parallel processing....I am beginning to understand this new computer Digital world. I am now one step closer to understanding. Still so much to learn.
So that I may continue to learn and grow....new post coming soon!
Old 01-13-2022, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
I had the biggest smile on my face while listening to your rendition. You are living proof that we can all be young again. That is my biggest goal to always be young...inside anyways.
I especially love the Vocal sound. So very smooth. Which even becomes more apparent when the full, smooth, round harmonies.

When anybody ever asks me what my favorite groups are I tell them the main four are "The Moody Blues" "The Who" "The Rolling Stones" and of course "The Beatles".
The Moody Blues hold and extra special place in my heart. My real first musical romance is with them. The first time that I heard music that expanded into a other worldly realms. Crying voices, stretching out in both time and space, using deep reverbs.
And it was because of them that I Purchase a Chamberlain(the inventor of the Mellotron) and also bought a U87(Justin's vocal mic of choice back then).
"Days of Future Past" was the beginning of Rock leading into another world blending new with old. This masterpiece successfully blended electric guitars, acoustic guitars, rock rhythms , and Symphonic Orchestration. I believe this album in particular had great influence on so many other bands: including, ELP, King Crimson, Led Zeppelin and The Beatles.
Thanks to the great explanations in the other two threads of Phase and Parallel processing....I am beginning to understand this new computer Digital world. I am now one step closer to understanding. Still so much to learn.
So that I may continue to learn and grow....new post coming soon!
Thanks

I admit I am also a big Moody Blues fan.
Nights In White Satin was another cover always in my set list,,, a big production but also lends itself to acoustic guitar/vocal..
I think The Moody Blues are a bit under appreciated when it comes to 60-70 mega groups And to think they started as an English Pop R&B group

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-13-2022, 08:44 AM

What year was that filmed? The u87 didn't come out until 1967. Wait, that was 69'. Yea, I guess those could have been u87's.

I had no idea how much Billy Preston added to that. That was really eye opening when I watched that.
Old 01-16-2022, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
What a wonderful contribution - thank you , K&G !

If you ever have the chance to purchase this book, take it:
"Recording the Beatles : The Studio Equipment and Techniques Used to Create Their Classic Albums by Kevin Ryan & Brian Kehew (2006)". Amazon unfortunately saying not available at the moment.

!
Oh, it's available . . . $1295.00 used, plus $3.00 shipping.

Sounds like an amazing book for anyone into recording:

https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews...ording-beatles
Old 01-19-2022, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

Default It is not just in the Microphones?

Personally, I put lot's of emphasis on Microphone selection. In most ways...it is the heart of recording.
But as the whole recording process goes, it is the people who are at the top of the recording chain. Before the microphone, the personality has to be their first. It is the personality that often makes & creates great music.
You can have the greatest composition, The greatest microphones, the best recording gear, but if the personality of the writer is dull, then the music might also sound as such.
Here is a short clip that Giles Martin shared of his Father.
George Martin tells his GrandDaugher= Quote:

“There were four of them,” says Martin. “And I said, ‘Who are they, what are they?’ And he [presumably the band’s manager, Brian Epstein] said ‘Well, they’re a group. We call them The Beatles.’ And I said, ‘Well that’s a silly name for a start. Who would ever want a group with the name ‘beetles’?’ And he said, ‘Well, it isn’t the beetles you think of. It’s “Beatles” with an “A” in it, like “Beat-les.”‘ So I listened to what he said and I said, Well, I’ll have to hear them first of all.”

“So he sent them down from Liverpool, which is quite a long way, and I met them in London. And when I listened to what they did, it was okay, but it wasn’t brilliant. It was okay. So I thought well, why should I be interested in this?”

“But the magic but came when I started to get to know them, because they were terribly good people to know. They were funny, they were very clever, they said all the lovely things. They were the kind of people that you like to be with. And so I thought, ‘Well, if I feel this way about them, other people will feel this way about them. So therefore they should be very popular.’ And I made records with them.”

https://twitter.com/mashupmartin/sta...125716306.html
Old 01-19-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten View Post
I may not recall exactly correct, but what stuck with me the most….the part where Paul started humming and mumbling while playing his guitar, then the chorus “Get Back”starts to emerge, then the verse guitar and more melody mumbling…

Next thing you know 3 minutes or so and the title track comes into existence.

Sorry not about the mics, but it was so beautiful to see the process I had to mention it.
same for me with Let It Be and Long And Winding Road.

I was fascinated by those moments.

I was particularly intrigued when PAul was giving John the idea "Not" playing one of the notes in one of the sections in Long and Winding Road.

John was playing like 2 eight notes in sequence following one another "Ba Ba, Ba Ba" in the verse, and Paul said , "no, two the first time, just one on the second time and hold it, "Ba Ba, Ba...."

comparing what John first played to what Paul wanted changed the whole dynamic of that part dramatically. Brilliance in action.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 01-19-2022, 01:04 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Three good books:

The Beatles, The Complete Recording Sessions by Mark Lewisohn - when, where, who, how

The Roof by Ken Mansfield - their former U.S. manager

The Great British Recording Studios byHoward Massey
This one is great. Next time you hear of Chipping Norton Recording Studios or Advision or the like, just pop your nose in this book to find out what mics, consoles, and reverbs they used and probably find pictures of the rooms.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2022, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knives&Guitars View Post
Personally, I put lot's of emphasis on Microphone selection. In most ways...it is the heart of recording.
But as the whole recording process goes, it is the people who are at the top of the recording chain. Before the microphone, the personality has to be their first. It is the personality that often makes & creates great music.
You can have the greatest composition, The greatest microphones, the best recording gear, but if the personality of the writer is dull, then the music might also sound as such.
Here is a short clip that Giles Martin shared of his Father.
George Martin tells his GrandDaugher= Quote:

“There were four of them,” says Martin. “And I said, ‘Who are they, what are they?’ And he [presumably the band’s manager, Brian Epstein] said ‘Well, they’re a group. We call them The Beatles.’ And I said, ‘Well that’s a silly name for a start. Who would ever want a group with the name ‘beetles’?’ And he said, ‘Well, it isn’t the beetles you think of. It’s “Beatles” with an “A” in it, like “Beat-les.”‘ So I listened to what he said and I said, Well, I’ll have to hear them first of all.”

“So he sent them down from Liverpool, which is quite a long way, and I met them in London. And when I listened to what they did, it was okay, but it wasn’t brilliant. It was okay. So I thought well, why should I be interested in this?”

“But the magic but came when I started to get to know them, because they were terribly good people to know. They were funny, they were very clever, they said all the lovely things. They were the kind of people that you like to be with. And so I thought, ‘Well, if I feel this way about them, other people will feel this way about them. So therefore they should be very popular.’ And I made records with them.”

https://twitter.com/mashupmartin/sta...125716306.html
I saw that charming anecdote earlier today too. Fits with other retellings of Martin's first analysis of the Beatles as a musical group I've read. I don't know who pointed it out of if it even comes from testimony from the group or Martin, but that a key part of how they managed to fit and grow together was that Martin had worked on comedy records by the Goons rather than with conventional pop groups, the Beatles respected the Goons -- and on his part, that experience allowed Martin to adapt to sometime outlandish or even absurd suggestions by the Beatles.

Although some accounts say Martin was tiring of dealing with the band politics by the time of "Get Back," he must have learned a thing or two about how to handle some fairly difficult and conflicting egos working with Peter Sellers, Spike Milligan, and Harry Secombe.

Anyway, I thought of that when I read again today that it was in talking with them more than in hearing them play that he sensed the Beatles' genius. Of course! His best work had been with genius level "talkers."

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 01-25-2022, 04:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubcapsc View Post
I have a Beatles bootleg I got at college in the 70s... I haven't listened
to it in a long time, I remember a good part where Paul was teaching
Let It Be to the others, calling out the chords... perhaps that is in the
new Film?

-Mike
It is! In the first block released on Disney. I haven't had a chance to watch the rest of it, but a very good friend is saving it for me, lucky for me!
Old 02-19-2022, 05:14 PM
Charter Member

Sweetwater just released this article today.
Some good points made.

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/wh...0219-t1-insync

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD