The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 01-19-2022, 09:35 AM

Default Share your ES335

Mine belonged to a friend of mine who lost a fight with cancer and covid...we had played together for a few decades. Sometime after his passing the family gifted me his 335. It was made in Memphis and i remember how excited he was to get it. I'm honored to have it. Love to hear about your 335 and see one of your favorite pics of it!

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-19-2022, 09:50 AM

I’m very sorry to hear of your friends passing. It is an honor you were chosen to care for his beautiful 335. When all is said and done, we really are the caretakers of these instrument and the memories of our friends and loved ones. Think of him often when you play.
Old 01-19-2022, 10:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi Dale,

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your friend. What a shame. As Chickee notes, we are only caretakers of these instruments. His is a beauty... I have always loved that particular sunburst on an ES-335. What a great way to remember him.

I have a wine red Gibson ES-335 from about 1978. It's a little unusual in that it has a coil splitting switch in addition to the other standard controls. It was my very first electric guitar and still probably my favorite after all these years. It has great sounding pickups.

I don't have a picture of my ES-335 but I do have a video with this guitar up front.

- Glenn
Old 01-19-2022, 10:24 AM

This is my '67. I purchased it in '78 for $315. I also had it converted to a stop tailpiece configuration.

'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-19-2022, 11:52 AM

I wish I still had my '62.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickee View Post
I’m very sorry to hear of your friends passing. It is an honor you were chosen to care for his beautiful 335. When all is said and done, we really are the caretakers of these instrument and the memories of our friends and loved ones. Think of him often when you play.
Thank you...and i completely agree, just caretakers for awhile.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Dale,

I'm so sorry to read about the loss of your friend. What a shame. As Chickee notes, we are only caretakers of these instruments. His is a beauty... I have always loved that particular sunburst on an ES-335. What a great way to remember him.

I have a wine red Gibson ES-335 from about 1978. It's a little unusual in that it has a coil splitting switch in addition to the other standard controls. It was my very first electric guitar and still probably my favorite after all these years. It has great sounding pickups.

I don't have a picture of my ES-335 but I do have a video with this guitar up front.

- Glenn
Hello Glenn! Love this video - covers doesn't really describe what you do, they are interpretations that are your own with deep respect for the original, at least that how they come to me. The ES was perfect for the electric parts and love the color! Thanks for sharing brother.
Old 01-19-2022, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanR View Post
This is my '67. I purchased it in '78 for $315. I also had it converted to a stop tailpiece configuration.

looks terrific and i like your mods. One knob is an outlier, any particular reason?

Last edited by maplebaby; 01-19-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-19-2022, 01:18 PM
Guitar Gourmet

I told my story on another forum:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2022, 02:09 PM

[QUOTE=Bob Womack;6910355]I told my story on another forum:

I’ll share it it’s a good one!

“Mine is a 2005 Memphis Dot Reissue. After seeing Will Owsley (RIP) and Warren Haynes using some vintage ES-335s and getting some really sweet sounds, I got to wonder if you could find modern ones that sounded as good. At the time there were several guitar stores in the area that carried ES-335s so I had about ten to sort through, Dots and Historics and vintage ones. They all were great but I came across this particular new one that was REALLY sweet sounding, with a plaintive tone when you bent strings. At the time we had no spare change so I didn't tell my wife I was sniffing around the ES-335s. But late on Christmas Eve my lovely wife pulled me aside and gave me a little card that said, "Let's go down the day after Christmas and get that guitar you want." I walked on air for the next thirty-six hours. Frankly, I liked the look of the sunbursts like yours but the particular one I loved was a red one.

I got it set up properly by my tech/luthier and it is one sweet guitar. It moved right in and became the center of my studio kit. Practically everything possible is wrong with the guitar but is sounds and plays so well that I just don't care. Then there's the memory of that Christmas Eve.”

Bob
Old 01-19-2022, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
looks terrific and i like your mods. One knob is an outlier, any particular reason?
Good eye!

The one tone knob was broken when I got the guitar. I bought a used knob at my local store and I thought that it would fade/yellow with time and would eventually match the others. It didn't. I don't use the tone knob that much so the numbers never got the paint warn off.
'18 Martin GP-28E
'65 Epiphone Zenith archtop
Old 01-19-2022, 03:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplebaby View Post
Hello Glenn! Love this video - covers doesn't really describe what you do, they are interpretations that are your own with deep respect for the original, at least that how they come to me. The ES was perfect for the electric parts and love the color! Thanks for sharing brother.
Thank you Dale,

I very much appreciate your thoughts and comments!

- Glenn
Old 01-19-2022, 03:26 PM

Dale, what a wonderful guitar to have... not because it's an ES335 but rather the personal sentiment towards it and the honor bestowed unto you. It's in no better hands than your own.
Old 01-19-2022, 03:56 PM
Guitar Gourmet

[QUOTE=maplebaby;6910410]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I told my story on another forum:

I’ll share it it’s a good one!

“Mine is a 2005 Memphis Dot Reissue. After seeing Will Owsley (RIP) and Warren Haynes using some vintage ES-335s and getting some really sweet sounds, I got to wonder if you could find modern ones that sounded as good. At the time there were several guitar stores in the area that carried ES-335s so I had about ten to sort through, Dots and Historics and vintage ones. They all were great but I came across this particular new one that was REALLY sweet sounding, with a plaintive tone when you bent strings. At the time we had no spare change so I didn't tell my wife I was sniffing around the ES-335s. But late on Christmas Eve my lovely wife pulled me aside and gave me a little card that said, "Let's go down the day after Christmas and get that guitar you want." I walked on air for the next thirty-six hours. Frankly, I liked the look of the sunbursts like yours but the particular one I loved was a red one.

I got it set up properly by my tech/luthier and it is one sweet guitar. It moved right in and became the center of my studio kit. Practically everything possible is wrong with the guitar but is sounds and plays so well that I just don't care. Then there's the memory of that Christmas Eve.”

Bob
Thank you, Dale.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-19-2022, 05:06 PM

Here is mine. A 1995 just back from a re-fret. Other than that all original and really great!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5456 (2).jpg (32.5 KB, 248 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5455 (2).jpg (17.5 KB, 246 views)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars