The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-01-2022, 03:09 PM

Default Recent Yamaha/Alvarez Truss Rod Verification?

All,

I really did search the forum, but I got some varying information. I wanted to verify for my records just to be sure.

I believe my truss rods for my recent Yamaha AC5 and Yamaha FGX800C are 4mm. Does this seem correct? I saw a lot of posts about 5mm for Yamahas, but I am guessing this is for older models. 4mm looks to be what is supplied but you never know what gets thrown in at the factory or retailer.

My recent Alvarez Masterworks seems to have a 4mm supplied as well. Same question for this one. Is this correct?

Thanks for the assistance.

Best,

Mac
Old 01-01-2022, 03:38 PM

Default a thought

Sounds like OP has both truss rod wrenches. He's the best person to find the answer to his question, try them and see if they fit.
Old 01-01-2022, 04:55 PM
Charter Member

4mm works on both my recent Yamahas. I slipped a piece of soda straw over the long side of the L shaped tool. That way it won't scrape strings.
Old 01-01-2022, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
Sounds like OP has both truss rod wrenches. He's the best person to find the answer to his question, try them and see if they fit.

I have 4mm wrenches with the Yamaha AC and the Alvarez. They were ok but a little more play than to be absolutely certain. After working on bikes quite a bit, I'm always cautious and like to verify. I've learned the hard way!

I didn't get a wrench with the FGX but assumed it would be the same as the AC. The fit was similar.

Best,

Mac
Old 01-01-2022, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirosh View Post
4mm works on both my recent Yamahas. I slipped a piece of soda straw over the long side of the L shaped tool. That way it won't scrape strings.
Thanks! This seemed to be the best fit for me as well. I just wanted a second opinion.

Great idea on the straw. It never hurts to be careful. The whole reason I was seeking the clarification.

Best,

Mac

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair