The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-16-2007, 08:07 PM

Default Pulling trigger: Rainsong A-WS

HELP!!!!

Anyone out there have either Composite Acoustics or Rainsong guitars?? PLEASE tell me your experience with them. There's just something about the crisp sound, level of technology, playability, and the absolute lack of worry with respect to temperature and humidity, that has drawn me to them. Yes they aren't wood and they do sound 'different' but they sound good though. Only reason for selecting a Rainsong model A-WS is that I can get one for a Very good price from a dealer friend of mine.

I'd highly appreciate any feedback.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:40 AM

Thumbs up rainsong

I have a WS1000. Great guitar--sounds like a wood guitar, loud and clear across the spectrum. Got it because it was maintenance-free!
Old 02-17-2007, 07:25 AM

Thumbs up Rainsong

I purchased a WS-1000 over 18 months ago, great sound, "0" maintenence, very versitile when plugged in. Rings like a bell with great tonal balance fom low to highs. Needless to say, I am hooked. I also have a 63 Hummingbird and a 2003 J-185.....they sound different (and wonderful) but, for gigging, I always bring out the Rainsong. It is simply more versitile.

"The road goes on forever and the party never ends."

2012 Rainsong CO-WS1000N2
2023 Gibson J-45
2022 Stew Mac Acoustic Kit Guitar
2021 Stew Mac Acoustic Guitar Kit
Old 02-17-2007, 09:25 AM

Default CA X Performer

I've had this for a month or so now and I love it. It sounds great and looks great.
Old 02-17-2007, 10:59 AM

Bought a CA X used about three months ago. It is now my main guitar for all the reasons said above. The X is very compact and modern looking and sounds good both acoustically and electrically. I think the carbon tops really shine with a undersaddle pickup. You might want to try a CA for comparison. I had a chance to do a side by side and liked the CA better. I don't remember the model of the Rainsongs it was competing with. It really surprise me that more acoustic players don't look at this option given the nicks, dings and splits I have in my wooden guitars.
Steve
Old 02-17-2007, 11:05 AM

I've got a Composite Acoustics COT model.

The sound is very, very good.

I wish I'd had waited a bit and got one that was painted to look like wood. Would've have a lot of fun asking people to tell me what kind of wood they think it is.

I played some Rainsongs the other day at another GuitarCenter in the area . . they sounded nice, too. Even had a 12-string option.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:09 AM

One more RainSong endorsement (I have two).

Loud (!), clear, superior acoustic sound when plugged in, stays in tune.

RainSongs seem to hold their value on the used market, too, but they don't come up for sale very often, relatively speaking.

I have not sampled a CA, but those who have 'em seem to be loyal to the brand.
Old 02-17-2007, 11:32 AM

I played a batch of Rainsongs. I was very surprised--they were very "guitar like" in tone. Takes a bit of visual adjustment to the black herringbone look. But if you get beyond that, I think they're a really decent instrument. A couple of people here have also ordered in Emeralds...you might want to do a search on those. They wrote they seem to combine the best aspects of Rainsongs and CA's. I don't believe I've read any buyer's remorse from anyone who's purchased a composite. I'd think great gigging guitar.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 02-17-2007, 12:11 PM

Also own a CA here. Mine is the Bluegrass Performer with the 1 11/16 nut. I love it because I can leave it on the stand with no worries, and have left it in the car overnight last winter(forgot about it-after a late night) Its fallen over a few times with no markings, or problems I can see. I also accidentally knocked my maglight flashlight on it(the big police kind). It made a horrible sound as it bounced off it, but no marks. It has a great clear tone-very good string separation. It has a little more bassy sound comparable to a Martin D-28, as opposed to the more modern sounding Rainsong. I had never heard of CA before when I went to Elderly a few years back to check out Rainsong guitars. At the time CA made guitars that were a lot less expensive than the Songs. One of the reasons I bought it. They have since retooled their factory and raised their prices, so I am luck I got on the CA bandwagon when I did. Patrick
Old 02-17-2007, 12:41 PM

I have all wood guitars and I have never played one of these composit wonders.
But as an environmentalist tree hugger, I think this is the direction guitars need to go. If it sounds great and you don't have to chop down endangered (or otherwise) trees to build it, it's a no-brainer.
I could see these becoming the guitar Prius.
2006 Taylor 310
2007 Kronbauer Mini-Jumbo
2006 Taylor GS-5 (sold)
Stewart Stowaway Strat (traveler)
2008 Fender Am. Std. Strat
2013 Taylor 814ce
Old 02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

I too would love to hear more A/B comments comparing the Rainsongs and the Composite Acoustics. The post retooled version is supposed to sound noticeably better and more consistent. At least that's what I was told.

PTL
Old 02-17-2007, 04:22 PM

I A/B'd them, but it was months apart, in completely different settings.

Honestly, I couldn't tell much difference between them.

I just find it amazing that they sound so much like high-end wood guitars.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:28 PM

Well, had a good conversation with my buddy. We spoke of the different options / brands available and he even recommended taking a few more days to look at the options of CA, Rainsong, etc. I'm due to travel yet again this coming week on business and he gave me the names of a few dealers in the area where I could try a few CA's and supposedly 3 different Rainsong guitars. He's a great guy, if I want the Rainsong that he has, he'll hold it for me at the same price for as long as I want.

I'll hopefully have the chance on Tuesday - Thursday to play these guys in the afternoons. I'll provide a full report.... Looking forward to this a lot.
Old 02-17-2007, 04:52 PM

JoeinLex,

If you do finally decide to pass up on the Rainsong offer by your friend, could you allow me to have a shot at it?

Thanks,

C
Old 02-17-2007, 10:30 PM

I have an OM 1000- totally love this instrument- very clear and dependable on every fret- no worries about humidity here (big deal for Minnesota) and is a BOOMER.

I have the OM, and I have friends who are married who have the WS and Jumbo- with all three of us playing these, it is such a wonderful sound.

I do not have the experience with the A series- but I know that the Advanced series has an adjustable truss rod, but the back is a bit different.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber