The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-25-2020, 10:32 AM

Default Sigma 000/OMs

I'm interested in buying a Sigma OM/000 sized guitar. According to Sigma, some of their models have not only a 1 3/4" nut but also a 57mm bridge string spacing and I would like to have both. But I can't find out which models have them and am also confused by their naming system. Can anyone tell me which models have the 57mm spacing and maybe clue me in to how the guitars are named? What, for example does a + mean at the end of a name. Some models have it, others not. Many thanks.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:09 PM

Sigma- OMM-ST . I bought the left handed version especially for the 1 3/4" nut spacing. Good value guitar.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:11 PM

Thanks. I think that also has the 57mm string spacing.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:23 PM

I've honestly had guitars at three times the price that were not as comfortable and fun to play to play. I replaced the tuners for better ones after a few weeks and it was worth the investment . You cant go wrong with this guitar if you find a good example. . Recommended.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:35 PM

I like the 1 3/4" nut width, the 57mm string spacing but also the low profile neck. I'm dependent on buying on-line so would have to take the risk. Was replacing the tuners difficult and require any woodwork? What did you buy as replacements. The 000M-18 is a little more expensive but has Grovers. I'm wanting to check out what other models have the 57mm neck.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:51 PM

The tuners that came on it worked well enough and tuning was stable, I changed them almost for the sake of it really so dont let that put you off. I cant remember exactly which replacements I ordered but they were a simple drop in replacement, (being the modern "screw into itself" collar design, the only thing to bother about was making sure replacements fit through the hole) .Ive been lucky enough to own many guitars of varying prices over the years and the OMM-ST has been one of the most satisfying to own. The slightly reduced scale length adds to the overall comfortable feel of it too. Its living at the moment with a good friend who is learning to play (Only because I didn't want to loan out a more expensive instrument) He loves it, and is finding it a Joy too. I may struggle to get it back.

Last edited by NotveryGood; 09-25-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:54 PM

Sounds great! One last question. Was the neck matt and smooth? I hate glossy necks that become easy to stick to. Thanks for your positive input.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:03 PM

The whole thing has a smooth satin finish which I always did prefer over a heavy gloss . The only down side was that the spruce top was a unattractive pale colour, but since being left out in daylight, its becoming a pleasant honey colour. If you buy one ,dont forget to leave us a review!

Last edited by NotveryGood; 09-25-2020 at 03:51 PM.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebook View Post
I'm interested in buying a Sigma OM/000 sized guitar. According to Sigma, some of their models have not only a 1 3/4" nut but also a 57mm bridge string spacing and I would like to have both. But I can't find out which models have them and am also confused by their naming system. Can anyone tell me which models have the 57mm spacing and maybe clue me in to how the guitars are named? What, for example does a + mean at the end of a name. Some models have it, others not. Many thanks.
I have a somr 28mle (discontinued) and a slm sg00+.
Both have 57mm string spacing at the bridge, they are bringing back the somr28 so I guess that should have 57mm spacing, when I bought my somr 28mle I phoned the shop and asked them to measure sadle spacing.
I think the+ is for an electronic pick up.
The tuners work just fine.
Old 09-26-2020, 01:32 AM

Thanks NotveryGood for all your input. I'll certainly post a review if I get that guitar.

Andyrondack, thanks for your thoughts. Both those guitars are available now according to the Sigma website but too expensive for me I think unless I go for a used model. With the SOMR-28 I'm not so fond of Rosewood back and sides but I really like the look of the SLM-SG00. Wow! Tasty guitar and it has the shorter scale that I prefer. How does it sound? Are both necks low profile and matt or gloss? I'm going to check out eBay. Thanks very much.

Last edited by mikethebook; 09-26-2020 at 02:09 AM.
Old 09-26-2020, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikethebook View Post
Thanks NotveryGood for all your input. I'll certainly post a review if I get that guitar.

Andyrondack, thanks for your thoughts. Both those guitars are available now according to the Sigma website but too expensive for me I think unless I go for a used model. With the SOMR-28 I'm not so fond of Rosewood back and sides but I really like the look of the SLM-SG00. Wow! Tasty guitar and it has the shorter scale that I prefer. How does it sound? Are both necks low profile and matt or gloss? I'm going to check out eBay. Thanks very much.
I have the SOMR 28 mle which is no longer made or even listed on their site, it has a slim c shaped neck , the slm sg00+ has a chunky neck, I would not call it low profile but the shorter scale means it never gets too wide above the 5th fret, well for me at least but then I do have big hands, sounds really nice to me I have tried Martin and Gibson guitars L00 size that sounded much worse, but I suspect the Adirondack spruce used by Sigma had already aged for some years before it got made into a guitar so perhaps a fair comparrison cannot be made .
I would say though that the L00 shape is not as loud as the larger OM but the notes are clearer with more individual definition, it's a great little guitar for ragtime and fingerstyle.
I should also add that I did not have to pay anything like the listed price, shop around and ask stores if they can offer you a better price.

Last edited by Andyrondack; 09-26-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2020, 01:46 AM

Thanks for that. Very helpful.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:34 AM

Are you referring to a St. Louis Music Sigma or AMI Sigma? The AMI ones are based on Martin design and license.
Old 09-27-2020, 10:38 AM

I've no idea. I live in the UK if that's any help.
Old 09-27-2020, 03:35 PM

I'm in the UK too, so it will be AMI Sigma .lots of positive reviews on you tube if it helps including the OMM-ST we talked about.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion