The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-23-2020, 04:20 PM

Default Fed Ex experience

I'm curious as to other's experience with Fed Ex. For me they have been terrible. For the third time I waited for a package that had to be signed for only to get an email at 5 pm that it will not be delivered. Never a problem with UPS. This time the excuse was it was not loaded on the truck. I think it was on the truck and it's an excuse not to have to drive to deliver it at the end of the day.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

FedEx is the only shipping company I've ever used for guitars and never had a problem. They were always easy to deal with and everything was on time. Different strokes, I guess.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:31 PM

Never had any major issues. But one time, they drove past my house without even stopping - I was outside and watched the guy drive right past me. Then the tracking said the delivery attempt was unsuccessful, and the package will be held at a local sorting facility per the recipient (me)'s request. I never requested that, and had to drive 30 minutes each way to go pick up my package.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:33 PM
Resident Guitar Hack

I’ve received/shipped a couple dozen guitars over the years via UPS/FedEx and never had a problem with either...so far.

Old 09-23-2020, 04:35 PM

I have had generally good service from FedEx ... except once.

It was for a guitar and the seller I guess paid extra to require my i signature. I waited at home that day and then I happened to check either my phone or my email and was told "Your package was delivered."

Huh. So I went outside. No package at the front door of my apartment building. I then went to a side door, but one which faced the main highway, and there was the package ... with a large gaping hole in the side. Luckily the guitar came double-boxed so it was not damaged.

But I was really angry that the carrier had delivered the package and never contacted me.

But I routinely get FedEx packages, especially from Walmart.com, and I haven't had any problem since then. I was supposed to get a package today, btw, but a few hours ago I was notified it will be tomorrow.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 09-23-2020, 04:37 PM

I suspect it varies by area but in our area Fedex is a nightmare. We regularly get false delivery notices when no item has been delivered only to have a “rescheduled” date show up a day or two later. Additionally, when things do show up the contract delivery outfit (which uses some of the most decrepit trucks I’ve ever seen) refuses to climb three steps to place packages on the porch and, instead, tosses them up leaving them exposed to weather and in full view of the street. In contrast, UPS and USPS actually ring the doorbell and if no one answers place packages under cover and out of view. I’ve even had my UPS driver call my cell if he doesn’t get an answer at the door and thinks a package might be “important” (like a guitar-shaped box). I actively try to avoid ordering anything that comes Fedex.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:38 PM

Years ago, before all the tracking was so readily available, I got a letter USPS from UPS saying they couldn't find my address. I always wondered if they didn't just copy the address and mail the letter to follow the postal truck.

I think each little region is like its own country. Some places are 'good' while others, not as good.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:38 PM
Charter Member

The only issue I've had with FedEx or UPS is a one day delay a few times during the pandemic. Actually had a package that was supposed to be delivered today but got pushed to tomorrow. No biggie, these guys/gals are absolutely swamped.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:44 PM

I have always had great service from FedEx.
UPS not so much.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I've shipped over 300 high end guitars and I use FedEx for 90% of them and I've not had a single problem. UPS I've used for about 8% of the guitars I've shipped and I've had several problems with them. USPS has been good for overseas stuff for that other 2%.

I think FedEx is the best company for shipping high end instruments.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 09-23-2020, 04:48 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
For the third time I waited for a package that had to be signed for only to get an email at 5 pm that it will not be delivered.
Fedex used to be great in my area...

Since covid started your particular scenario happens far more often and I would even describe it as common in my area.

Since March I have bought or sold at least 50 guitars and most of the Fedex transactions were late coming or going. All the UPS guitars were on time and some even showed up 1 day early.

I placed a Stewmac order 10 days ago and certain items were sent USPS and others were Fedex. The USPS items showed up in 5 days and I am still waiting on the Fedex stuff. Delivery has been changed 3 times.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:55 PM

I'm on the other side of the planet - had 2 guitars shipped here from the US with Fed-Ex - their tracking system was excellent and more frequently updated than other couriers - both guitars were delivered in perfect condition.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-23-2020, 04:56 PM
Charter Member

I don't know what I"m doing wrong. I never have trouble with FedEx deliveries. Same with UPS and USPS.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcatluth View Post
I'm curious as to other's experience with Fed Ex. For me they have been terrible. For the third time I waited for a package that had to be signed for only to get an email at 5 pm that it will not be delivered. Never a problem with UPS. This time the excuse was it was not loaded on the truck. I think it was on the truck and it's an excuse not to have to drive to deliver it at the end of the day.
I refuse to use them because of the number of times stuff coming to me has been misdelivered. It's almost as if being dyslexic is a prerequisite for their drivers.
Old 09-23-2020, 05:44 PM
Charter Member

I ship guitars via FedEx 90 percent of the time. I have never had an issue. UPS and USPS have been less dependable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion