The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-22-2020, 04:33 PM

Even for hands and fingers, diet and exercise are crucial to holding back the inevitable process of getting older. Back when I worked in Ergonomics a lot I used to see all kinds of tendon, joint, and muscle issues in the hands and fingers.

Do some research and if the pain persists see your doctor.
Old 09-22-2020, 05:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slothead56 View Post
“Low action and lighter strings.“

And just like that half the forum is researching Zager guitars....

Collings ~ Taylor ~ Martin
Old 09-22-2020, 06:02 PM

I just turned 74 this month. My hands hurt most of the time. I take OTC meds occasionally.

I set my guitars up with low action, light gauge strings. I prefer short-scale guitars.

On days when I really hurt I will play some of my smaller guitars that are set up with silk & steel strings.
Old 09-23-2020, 01:46 AM

I use a variety of excercises and stretches and make sure my hands are warmed up before I play.I truly believe it helps a great deal.Playing nigh on 50 years now with no problems.
Old 09-23-2020, 08:57 AM

As of this August, my wrists & hands started developing soreness/ stiffness, which is now confirmed to be osteoarthritis, I’m just beginning to develop strategies to allow me to continue playing, though it’s only at home these days.
At 74 I consider myself lucky to have been symptom free till now,
- having played since my early teens, it’s a big part of my life.
I now focus on what I can do, playing is still satisfying, if different !
Best Wishes to all travelling down this path.
Old 09-23-2020, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

FYI - GHS has an extra light string gauge of 11-50 that I use. It's different because the low E string is 50 not 48 like allot of other Extra light strings. Many may have issues with extra lights because a 48 E string is pretty weak. It's a bit of a middle ground.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 09-23-2020, 10:44 AM
Charter Member

In addition to the good advice in many of these posts re: setup, strings and diet, I would look into Tart Cherry Concentrate:

* From Srorts Research: https://sportsresearch.com/products/...centrate-800mg

* From the Arthritis Foundation: https://www.arthritis.org/health-wel...-for-arthritis

I love the very effective anti inflammatory effects as well as the natural source of melatonin it has without the side effects or dangers of taking NSAIDS. I take it every night before sleep and has a lot of good scientific research studies behind it... easy to take too!

Best wishes & healing!!
Old 09-23-2020, 12:07 PM

im not as old as some of you old Farts -
But im getting their -sometimes soaking my hands in hot water
helps me a bit -
Old 09-23-2020, 12:52 PM
Charter Member

I do an exercise program on PBS called Classical Stretch https://essentrics.com/classical-stretch/

The creator is a former ballet dancer who now works with Olympic and professional athletes on flexibility, strengthening and pain relief.

It is more than typical stretching. You don't hold the poses. Constant motion using your body weight for resistance. It also has some aerobic benefit, my heart rate is comparable to a brisk walk, sometimes greater.

I bring it up here because she believes in working every muscle and the connective tissue, so there are exercises for the fingers and hands and everything connected to them. I had some minor pain in my hands when I started, which has gone away. My posture is much improved and my chronic back problems are the best they have been in 30 years (my motivation for trying her program).

It only takes 22 minutes a day.

She's been at this for over 20 years, so it is not this week's fad. I've been at it for almost a year now (5 to 6 days a week) and intend to do it every day I possibly can for the rest of my life. Check it out!

P.S. Like anything else, it takes time. Improvement is gradual but lasting.

Last edited by reeve21; 09-23-2020 at 12:56 PM. Reason: added postscript
Old 09-24-2020, 05:51 PM

I used to think that I will look forward to playing lots of music from the classical repertoire. Then my "i" finger won't play well anymore. I have since been playing with a hybrid technique but that is not a substitute with having all fingers available. But that is better than not playing at all. Meanwhile, I started learning slide...just in case. Actually it is a very interesting new thing for me.
Old 09-24-2020, 05:59 PM

I'm 62 and for the first time in my life of playing (since I was a kid) am beginning to experience some discomfort in the back of my fretting hand after longer playing sessions. So I've switched to playing exclusively narrower neck width (1-11/16) guitars and that helps. With an HD28V and D18A '39 fitting that spec I don't feel I've had to suffer in my guitar options

I also find it helpful - actually necessary - to do warm up exercises such as scales and etudes before I start practicing fiddle tunes and whatnot.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
So, I've known about it for a while, the signs were there. The little nodules on the sides of the joints. The little finger's last joint slowly turning inward. the pain, and stiffness. It's not too bad yet, but still I know 'that' day is coming - one day. How do you deal with age's slow advance, and the inevitable consequences of it's ravages? I guess at some point we all go through that door.
65 here. When I think of that, I look at Keith Richard's hands.
Old 09-24-2020, 06:59 PM
Charter Member

At 94, Les Paul's arthritis was so bad he could barely move. But he still played every week.
Old 09-24-2020, 08:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikerofone View Post
............. So I've switched to playing exclusively narrower neck width (1-11/16) guitars and that helps......
(Ben Franklin did say: Those who drink deeply from the cup of life must expect to swallow a few dregs)
Was glad to see this above. Lots of good advice on lighter strings, short scale, low action. Reducing string tension helps, but until mikerofone's reply no one -I think- mentioned nut/neck width. I'll add neck profiles in general. I'm 65 and have finger joint pain, not restrictive "yet" but after a long drive, or a long day of fishing my hands cramp and literally just close up (temporary claw-hand?). I then have to open up one hand with my other hand. I'm told this is also an early sign of arthritis.

I'm fortunate to have several guitars with nut sizes 1-11/16...1-23/32...1-3/4, and different profiles from a shallow C to Martin mod-V's. I haven't figured out YET which might be best in my elder years but I do find being able to change from one to other helps, instead of playing the same neck profile all the time. Definitely going with shorter-scales and lighter strings and I'm also leaning towards thinking narrower neck is best, though still not sure. It may be that going wider or narrower might be an individual thing depending what are each own "conditions" are. Good luck to all of us!

PS- I also find that round core strings feel softer, bend easier and I've been quite pleased with the tone (DR Sunbeams, Newtone MasterClass, etc.)

Last edited by gmel555; 09-24-2020 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Added PS
Old 09-25-2020, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Depending on which way you go, harp or accordion.
I must have gone the wrong way then. There are 9 accordions in our house.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion