The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-01-2019, 10:22 PM

Default Saying goodbye to a friend

I'm relatively new to the forum guys, so I apologize in advance if my post is inappropriate, and request the moderators to delete or move it if it is.

Arthritis has finally taken its toll on my 17 year old beagle, and I've made arrangements to have him put down tomorrow morning. He's actually my son's dog, but he's been a wonderful companion throughout this time, waiting by the door for my return from work, listening to me vent about life in general, and sitting by my side as I terribly try to learn the chords, lol. I'd like to sing or hum a few bars to him in the waiting room tomorrow as we wait for the vet to administer the shots, and was hoping that some of you could suggest an appropriate song to help calm him down and convey how much he's loved. I've been trying to think of a good song, but I'm quite distraught at the moment and can't seem to collect my thoughts. Thanks guys!
'02 American Series Strat – Sky Blue/RW
'05 Epiphone Les Paul – Amber Birdseye Maple w/ SD 59 neck & JB bridge
'04 Yamaha FG403S Dread
'14 Recording King ROS-06 12-fret Slothead
'17 Recording King 000 RO-T16 Torrefied top
Old 08-01-2019, 10:34 PM

Default A thought

I suggest 'Amazing Grace', out of respect for the innate decency and empathy your friend shared with you. I've had to do the same for many of my furry friends during my life, and I weep for each of them. And yours, too.

Last edited by phavriluk; 08-02-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:36 PM

I'm very sad to hear this; dogs have a way of getting into one's heart in a way that only dogs can do, and their lives are so short. All that unconditional love they give us comes at the cost of the grief we know will come, all too soon. For me, the grief of losing a dog is somehow sharper even than it is with people I've lost.

I don't know if a song is the answer unless there is a particular one that you know gives the dog comfort. My only advice would be, when the time comes, just hold on to him, tell what a good boy he is, until he drifts away.
Taylor 412K ('96)
Yamaha LL16-12 (SOLD)
PRS 'Studio' (SOLD)
Rickenbacker 660-12 (SOLD)
Fender USA Deluxe Strat
Fender USA Roadhouse Strat
Fender MIM/USA Partscaster
Fender MIM Nashville Tele
Kelsey Custom Hardtail Strat
Fender MIM P-Bass
Old 08-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Aw, man. I've been through this once before with a 15 year old dog, and now have a 12 year-old "companion" who I'm starting to think about in this regard. It's heart wrenching and making the decision about "when is it time" is really tough. But you WILL get through it.

Just your presence with him and hearing your voice, talking, singing or humming softly will comfort him I'm sure. If you think singing or humming will help him, then pick a song, melody, etc. you feel comfort in. Your feeling of comfort will be picked up by him. I guess I'm saying pick the song for you and he'll sense your feelings about it...that's one of the things our dogs do best, right? Best wishes.
Old 08-01-2019, 10:49 PM

So sorry to hear about your buddy. I am already dreading the day we'll have to put our sweet dog to sleep. The good news is they'll have no pain, and I believe, will be reunited with us after we pass.

The most important part is being there to hold and talk to him when they put him down.

Best, scott
Old 08-01-2019, 10:49 PM

I’m sorry you have to lose your friend, but singing to him while he crosses over is really a lovely thought. Maybe it would be best to sing something he’s heard you sing before, the familiarity could be comforting. Or maybe, You Are So Beautiful.
Martin 00L-17
Voyage Air OM04
Breedlove Oregon Concert
1975 Aria 9422
Old 08-01-2019, 10:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by phavriluk View Post
I suggest 'Amazing Grace', out of respect for the innate decency and empathy your friend shared with you. I've had to do the same for many of my furry friend during my life, and I weep each of them. And yours, too.
I can't think of a better song than "Amazing Grace." Perfect.

Another one I love is a song by Karla Bonoff (also covered by Linda Ronstadt) called "Goodbye, My Friend." I just read online that it was about losing her cat to a coyote, but I could have sworn she said during a live show a few years back that it was her dog. Any way you slice it, it's a beautiful song about losing a close friend.

Here's a live version of Karla doing it:

Old 08-02-2019, 12:33 AM
Charter Member

Feed Jake

tear jerker song

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 08-02-2019, 03:28 AM

This is possibly one of the most difficult things we have to do in this life but the grief you feel is a reflection of the love your dog has given over the years. Take comfort in knowing the dog does not understand what is happening and will take comfort simply from you being there.

It's hard at the time but afterwards you will come to realise you have made the right decision. 17 is a very good age for any dog and that is a reflection of the love your dog received from you.

YouTube
Old 08-02-2019, 03:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxtheaxe View Post
I'm very sad to hear this; dogs have a way of getting into one's heart in a way that only dogs can do, and their lives are so short. All that unconditional love they give us comes at the cost of the grief we know will come, all too soon. For me, the grief of losing a dog is somehow sharper even than it is with people I've lost.

I don't know if a song is the answer unless there is a particular one that you know gives the dog comfort. My only advice would be, when the time comes, just hold on to him, tell what a good boy he is, until he drifts away.
I agree wholeheartedly......
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-02-2019, 04:53 AM
Charter Member

This is always tough and it’s especially difficult when you lose an great dog. I lost my best dog ever in March. I still look for him at every point in my day. I even walked around to the back hatch of the car the other day to let him out, only to be reminded he wasn’t there. They leave way too fast. I have a puppy coming who will be 8 weeks old shortly. There will be no replacement, but I’ll have a new friendship to start anew and I’ll always have wonderful memories. Good luck with a very difficult time.
Old 08-02-2019, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

It's the last good thing that you can do for your friend. Think of it that way.

Doesn't make it any easier, though. And "good" isn't the right word, but you know what I mean.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 AM
Charter Member

So sorry for your loss. It's one of the most difficult things in life to do. But a Vet friend of mine reminded me years ago that this is the final act of love. And while it's the very best thing for your dog, it's the very worst thing for us. Thoughts and prayers go with you and your beloved Beagle today. Be at peace...

"Amazing Grace"

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:20 AM

As others have noted, we have always been present with our animals as the shots are administered. It is a very hard task to be sure, yet we feel our presence is comforting and one last connection for a friend dear to our hearts.

If you know your Vet well, you may be able to have them come to your house instead of going to the office (also depends on how close you live). This helps relieve some of the stress and provides a more comfortable environment for you and your pet.

In general, the song won’t matter that much. What will mean the most is the sound of your voice, and the comfort of your presence. Dogs in particular just want to be with you. Maybe play a couple songs afterward at home, in memory of a loving friend. Not sad, something in tribute to your time together. You will find something to play when you pick up your guitar.

2018 Michaud OO-R
2012 Webber Dreadnaught *SOLD*
2010 Eastman E20OM
1994 Guild D30
1979 Yamaha FG375S (retired)
1974 Norman B30 (retired)
Old 08-02-2019, 06:29 AM

This is the hardest "walk" dog owners will ever have to do.

It's a sad day, I know how you feel.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic