The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-25-2020, 06:00 AM

Default recommendations for a preamp with di

Going for a JJB Prestige-330. What are the preamps you would recommend? Currently thinking I might buy a baggs para di
Old 09-25-2020, 07:59 AM

It really depends on the following:

1. What features do you want/think you want? Tuner? Volume boost for solos? EQ? Effects? Multiple inputs? Multiple outputs? Battery power? Phantom power? Wall wart?

2. What are you plugging the preamp/DI into - acoustic amp? Electric amp? PA? House sound system?

3. Will this be for home use? A few open mics a year? Steady local gigs? Road tour?

4. How much do you want to spend?
Old 09-25-2020, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mt8 View Post
Going for a JJB Prestige-330. What are the preamps you would recommend? Currently thinking I might buy a baggs para di
A Para DI works great with the JJB Prestige 330. I've been using one for years with my JJB equipped guitars and really like the results. If I'm plugging into something other than my Fishman amps, I'm going through the Para DI first.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 09-25-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post
It really depends on the following:

1. What features do you want/think you want? Tuner? Volume boost for solos? EQ? Effects? Multiple inputs? Multiple outputs? Battery power? Phantom power? Wall wart?

2. What are you plugging the preamp/DI into - acoustic amp? Electric amp? PA? House sound system?

3. Will this be for home use? A few open mics a year? Steady local gigs? Road tour?

4. How much do you want to spend?
1. I'm still extremely new to this so I'm building my setup starting from the pickup, but I would want to add other pedals in the future. As you may know, the pickup is passive and my thought was since I need to bring an active DI, I might as well just get a preamp with a DI out. What do you think about that? My next pedal would probably be a loop and reverb. Not sure what's the best approach to this as I have no experience

2. Would be plugging it into the PA then house. When I do get an acoustic amp, I would start playing at home.

3. Would be used around 2-5 times a month, so not that much.

4. Under $200
Old 09-25-2020, 08:57 AM

FireEye RedEye is a fine one. Tried it with many pickups, love it especially for what it does on K&K-type pickups like the one you have installed.

https://www.youtube.com/@roberthasleder1526
Old 09-25-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarman68 View Post
FireEye RedEye is a fine one. Tried it with many pickups, love it especially for what it does on K&K-type pickups like the one you have installed.
Heard plenty of good stuff about it, but what features does it have that justifies the price? It looks to me like a normal DI but then again what do I know
Old 09-25-2020, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I have a JJB-330 in my Eastman Dread. I use a Baggs Session DI as well I have a reverb pedal (Keeley Omni). Overall the sound is great and I just plug into my Bose L1 Compact. Continue to get compliments on the overall sound so happy with the set-up for my purposes (perform at pubs and coffeeshops).
I purchased a used one for a great price so maybe have a look around as well.
Cheers.
2012 Voyage Air VAOM-04
2012 Eastman E20D Sunburst
2013 Simon & Patrick Songsmith Sunburst
2018 PRS SE Custom 24 Tobacco Sunburst
(all lefties )
https://www.facebook.com/KTCalcuttMusic
Old 09-25-2020, 01:33 PM

The Fishman Platinum Pro and Platinum Stage are very worth a look.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:45 PM

Have a look for a used Boss AD-10 - it has the features you want and has the features you’ll want in future (looper and reverb). Will be a lot cheaper than buying loads of separate pedals.

I’ve got a couple of K&K equipped guitars and they both work well with the AD-10.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 09-25-2020, 02:57 PM

My Grace Alix has worked great with every pickup I've plugged into it. It's not plug and play you really need to learn to use all of it's functions. But the effort put into it is well worth it, as it delivers the goods!
Old 09-25-2020, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I've never seen a pre that did not incorporate the DI function into it. Your JJB will probably need a lot of EQ so a PARA DI will do nicely. This has been around a while so you could find one used if budget is an issue. While I like the RedEye, you'd need an EQ pedal run through the effects loop and that would complicate matters.

You can spend pretty much as much as you want. The Grace products are great. The PARA DI is like and old Peavey or Yamaha amp, somewhat outdated but they work and will continue to work.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 09-25-2020, 05:41 PM

This seems like a good option:

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=593451
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 09-25-2020, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Hi mt8

The ParaDI is old technology (over 20 years old tech). It is confusing to use and designed more for sound techs than average users. And on top of everything, the XLR sticks straight up out of the box (I've seen one kicked and broken as a result). I still own a couple, and they are ok to use, but really overpriced. They are actually my last resort preamps.

The Fishman Platinum STAGE is a $150 more than adequate and great sounding preamp for Sound-Board-Transducers (and under saddle for that matter).

It has three way tone with sweepable midrange, auto ground-lift, volume gain input and master volume output, low frequency attenuation (switchable), adjustable boost (by hand not foot switch), aluminum built-like-a-tank housing, pre-or-post DI outs, if the board supplies phantom power, it will power the unit via the XLR cable (also has 9v battery or power supply).

I think it's the hidden gem of adjustable preamps.

If you don't care about adjustment, the point-n-shoot candidates (much loved) are the RedEye preamps.

It's a good day to want/need a preamp.

I still loan out my Behringer ADI21 V-Tone Acoustic DI ($30 if you can find one…think eBay), which is a plastic housed (very tough plastic) di Pedal which has many of the same features as the 'big boys'. You just hit the foot switch, crank the blend all the way up, set the EQ, and set the output volume.

Surprisingly good, and a great alternative for light users, or people who have multiple guitars with a mixture of passive pickups.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 09-25-2020, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

TonerDexter would be a good choice.
Old 09-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Charter Member

I’m checking out the Sunnaudio preamps right now. They are very nice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification