The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-29-2013, 03:17 PM
Charter Member

Default Rainsong "Shorty" K&K Mini

I need some advise on putting a PU in a "Shorty". I plan on a K&K Mini. (okay ?) I plan on putting it in the same as I would any guitar. (okay?) Anything I need to look out for, be aware of or know? i.e. Does the CF part make any difference as far as drilling end hole, etc.? Thank you.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:14 AM

It's a straightforward installation and similar to how it's done on a wood guitar. K and K provides great instructions and so just follow those.

Here are two pointers, though. First, the locations for the discs suggested by K and K work very well, but if you want to experiment with placement, use the sticky tabs to find the output that works well for you and your amp, and then use the glue for permanent installation. Use just a bit more than you would for wood, and hold each disc for one minute to let the glue dry.

Second, for the output jack hole, you want to minimize dust in the air. Use a heavily lubricated hand reamer instead of a drill as the lubricant will absorb a lot the material being cut, and this will also reduce the possibility of the bit skipping. The end material is much thinner than on wood guitars and so it's fairly easy to get through. You don't need to do the entire 1/2" hole - stop just shy of 1/2" - as this should provide enough space for the output jack to get through. If there are any fiber strands, you can cut these off with an X-acto knife, but if you go slowly and thoroughly with the lubricated hand reamer, then this will take care of most strands and dust. Roll some wetted 400 grit sandpaper and smooth out the hole edges. Use a slightly damp cloth and pull through the hole to catch dust, and then you can vacuum the interior as well, although your dust should be minimal, but please wear goggles, gloves, and dust mask.

The new jig and directions make the K and K installation straightforward.

http://kksound.com/pdf/puremini.pdf

Last edited by MacNichol; 07-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:27 AM

Curious has anyone tried to remove a glued on pickup on a carbon guitar? Just think the bond to the epoxy would be stronger and could combine?
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 07-30-2013, 11:21 AM
Charter Member

Default Thanks

thank you for your thoughts. MacNichol, thank you for the advise on dust, etc. If when, I do it, I will exercise caution. thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber