The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-15-2011, 05:09 PM

Cool Takamine Nylon String models

Looking for a quality, but not off the $$ nylon string model for couch playing. Not playing, out, does not need electronics, but that would be ok.

Have look & played Alvarez Yairi (CY 140 & CY118 models) and like them.

Have owned Taylor NS 34 and looked at NS 72ce. I like the 1 7/8" neck. Realize they are "crossover" not as much as true classicals.

Have NOT seen or played Takamine nylon string models but was recommend I try a couple of their models; TC 132 SC; TC 132C and TC 135SC. From internet research see the 135 model is 1 7/8" nut width too.
None of the Guitar Center near me has any of these Takamine models.

As an owner of Martin and Taylors, we know there are several very reputable/quality internet dealers who offer xxx% off MSRP.
Any such discount deals for Takamine through any dealers online? Other dealers you might recommend?

Would appreciate comments from this learned group.
Alvarez Yairi CY-127-CE
Alvarez Yairi CY-140-CE

Last edited by Forensicguy; 01-18-2011 at 03:12 AM. Reason: Price Discussions not permitted per forum rules
Old 01-15-2011, 06:42 PM

Default Takamine Nylon String models

Quote:
Looking for a quality, but not off the $$ nylon string model for couch playing. Not playing, out, does not need electronics, but that would be ok.....
....Have NOT seen or played Takamine nylon string models but was recommend I try a couple of their models; TC 132 SC; TC 132C and TC 135SC.....None of the Guitar Center near me has any of these Takamine models.......Would appreciate comments from this learned group.
I bought my Takamine EC132SC a month ago and love it. My first classical was a Yamaha CG150, which I upgraded last summer to a Francisco Navarro Garcia 2009.That's all I have for comparison. I bought the Takamine because I wanted the electronic capability, but I need that only rarely. It has a great acoustic sound.

As for price, I didn't see any on-line for less than $1000, which is the same price as our local West Music Center advertised. I had them order one in so my CG teacher could check it out before I made the purchase.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:23 AM

I own both a TC132SC and a Th-5C, and I recommend them unreservedly. Takamine has less expensive models, all of which are highly recommended in the forums. The quality of their guitars is quite consistent and the pickups/preamps are the best I have found for nylon string guitar.

You can find other excellent guitars, of course, but you'll have to try them out - so it is a trade-off in your own preferences, and how much time you want to spend searching. My own experience was that I searched for a LONG time... but the Takamines ended my search....

All the online dealers are ok, but I have edited this post to include Al at Lost Art Vintage (for some reason it slipped my mind). Al is the moderator of the Takamine forum, and will really treat you right. I have dealt with him on numerous occasions (I bought the TH-5C and Takamine Flamenco through 8th Street, but since have only dealt with Al, once I discovered the Takamine forum)

http://www.lostartvintage.com/mainframe.asp

Later, you will appreciate the electronics, trust me..

Last edited by BuleriaChk; 01-18-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:49 PM

Smile

I like my Takamine EG522C, I have had it a couple of years now, tried different strings and it is really nice down in the first position. Further up the neck it seems to lose a bit of depth. The inbuilt chromatic tuner is very handy.

I also have tried a Yairi CY-118 and I must admit the lower strings sounded a lot fuller than the Tak's.

Rosco
Martin GPCPA2
Old 01-16-2011, 06:57 PM

I owned a Takamine 132C. Great guitar, very bassy, and it has a truss rod which is a huge plus. They have a model with electronics as well that has had some nice reviews.

Don't rule out the Yamahas. I have to say, they are not only beautiful looking guitars but sound great...no truss rods though.

Phoenix Guitar Co. Custom Classical Guitar
Rainsong Shorty FLE
Pre Peavey Cargo
Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 AM

I bought an extremely cheap used Godin Lapatrie during a fit of guitar insanity. It was even strung as a lefty, but the bracing is symetrical, so it wasn't difficult to change to a righty. A new nut was required, which would have been done anyway for the setup. The setup is what is important to me. If the guitar isn't the way you like it, then you will not play it. Whatever you buy, make sure that it can be setup. Lots of saddle height and a truss rod. Sound comes next to playablility... for me anyway

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical