The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-13-2011, 08:32 PM

Default I Narrowed the String Spacing on My Classical Today

I've had a classical guitar for many years. It has a 2" wide nut. The string spacing was 1.70" center to center from high E to low E. I decided that I wanted the string spacing to be a little smaller (i.e. closer together) so today I removed the old nut and installed a new one. I made the string spacing on the new nut 1.53". I kept the high E string in the same location as before and just moved all the strings slightly closer (downward) to narrow the string spacing.

Now the guitar will still have a 2" wide nut and fingerboard, but the strings will be spaced as if the nut were just slightly less than 1 7/8" wide. I didn't try to change the spacing of the strings at the saddle.

If I ever decide I want to go back to the original string spacing, all I have to do is change back to the original nut (a very simple job).
Old 01-14-2011, 06:13 AM

And how do you like the change? Is it easier to play now?
Should be excelent for fingerstyle I think - easy on the left hand and lots of string space for the right hand...
Old 01-14-2011, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odie1974 View Post
And how do you like the change? Is it easier to play now?
Should be excelent for fingerstyle I think - easy on the left hand and lots of string space for the right hand...
I haven't played it yet. I wanted to let the glue which was used to hold the new nut in place dry overnight before bringing the strings fully up to tune. I also replaced the treble strings with new ones. I'll tune it up later today and give it a try and let you know how I like it.

I also sanded down the top of the saddle slightly before putting the strings back on. The saddle height was reduced very slightly, but not very much. I didn't measure it.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs-R-Me View Post
I also sanded down the top of the saddle slightly before putting the strings back on. The saddle height was reduced very slightly, but not very much. I didn't measure it.
Is the right way to lower the action at the saddle? I always thought you sanded down the underside of the saddle.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johninmass View Post
Is the right way to lower the action at the saddle? I always thought you sanded down the underside of the saddle.
So you should. But I suppose on an uncompensated straight classical saddle you could get away with sanding the top as long as you round off the sanded edges.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:41 PM

Well, I got it tuned up and it works good. Occasionally if I pick/pluck a string real hard, I'll hear a slight buzz coming from the saddle area. I may need to go back and do a better job of rounding the top of the saddle the next time I change strings. I don't think I'll take the strings off now just for a very minor occasional buzzing.

The closer spacing of the strings at the nut makes some of the chords easier to reach. An added benefit is that when I switch over and play my electric guitar which has much tighter string spacing, there won't be as much of a change from one guitar to another. Now if I could just get an electric guitar with about a 1 7/8" nut, I'd be all set.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical