The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2020, 12:08 PM

Default Loud box mini and artist questions please .

If you have played both the mini and the artist series a lot , is there for sure a noticeable differance that the artist will get louder, stay more clear than the mini ? i know the artist has more features , but only interested in it being for sure being more louder , they say the mini is 60 watts , the artist 120 watts ( bi amped ) , does that mean 2 60 watt amps , and not really 120 watts total RMS ? Thanks .
Old 10-17-2020, 01:55 PM
Charter Member

I have the Artist. According to Fishman, 100 watts is going to the 8" speaker & 20 watts goes to the tweeter=120 watts.
Hope this helps.
Old 10-17-2020, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jricc View Post
I have the Artist. According to Fishman, 100 watts is going to the 8" speaker & 20 watts goes to the tweeter=120 watts.
Hope this helps.
Yes thanks you , i wonder if the full 60 on the mini goes to the speaker , or if it is divided too ?
Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 PM

I have the mini, my playing partner has the Artist so I have played both a lot and back to back. Yes the Artist is loud and cleaner at higher volumes because of that. The extensive eq and phantom power compared to the mini is worth the extra price alone. If I had to do it again I would get the Artist. Don’t get me wrong I love the mini but if you are after more volume the Artist will deliver

Last edited by DownUpDave; 10-18-2020 at 04:08 AM.
Old 10-17-2020, 05:00 PM

I have a Mini and a Performer.

The Mini is all I need for 95% of my gigs. My acoustics are equipped with K&K pickups.

On songs where I want to use effects, I much prefer stomping on a pedal vs having to spin dials on the amp and remember a bunch of different settings.
Old 10-18-2020, 09:09 AM

Thanks all, i mostly play in a older country band , telecaster , older deluxe amp , but considering getting into some acoustic gigs , small coffee shop things in the future , got the mini the other day from sweetwater , but i think i may send it back and get the artist .
Old 10-18-2020, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

I have the Mini and the Performer. The mini performs just fine for most situations but I’m ready to ditch it for the Artist. The Performer is a bear to carry around but I’m going to keep it for gigs that I need to be really loud.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 10-18-2020, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

I have the Artist and use it as my PA for my solo gigs. The volume and clarity if Great, and will fill any restaurant, bar, etc. with ease. I play at a restaurant with a seating capacity of 150 and set the Master Volume at less than 1/2 (with a full, noisy room). Have not played a mini so will let others speak about it.

Cheers!
Old 10-18-2020, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

I purposely chose the Artist over the mini when first buying an acoustic amp. I have not regretted having the extra headroom, effects and functionality of the Artist. I could likely get away with using the mini in most contexts as the master volume on my Artist is never above 30%. However, I love all the extra options I have with it over the mini. All that said, the mini is a great little amp and you can use the DI out to FOH if you're only going to need it for a monitor on stage.
Old 10-18-2020, 01:56 PM

I have the Artist and we have a Mini at work. The Mini is great, but I wish we'd just bought the Artist for work, too. It's such a great little piece of equipment.
+ Reverend Double Agent OG
Old 10-19-2020, 09:40 PM
Charter Member

I've owned both the Mini and the Artist. Yes, the Artist will get louder but in every real-world use I ran them I never got either even closely loud enough that it makes a difference. If you're playing with a really loud band or noisy venues then maybe. But that Mini cranks. In truth, the only reason I went from the Mini over to the Artist was for the extra XLR input and the phantom power. For my needs the Mini would have been fine strictly from a usable volume standpoint.
Old 10-20-2020, 04:17 AM

The Artist also gives more options for direct out options.

I'd do the swap.. you wont be sorry.
Old 10-20-2020, 11:44 AM

To ease arguments sake, I’d urge you to be comparing the two updated models from this line, the Loudbox Mini CHARGE and the Artist BT. If you are specifically buying to have power off grid obviously get the Charge, but if you’re going to be playing 95% of the time connected to A/C get the Artist. It’s 21 vs 25lbs approximately which is a pretty negligible difference in weight for most people. I wish I had gotten the Artist but before Covid I had much more planned for powerless gigs. Recently at a short notice brewery gig (I’m talking short... I was already there) all I had was my instrument and the Mini Charge in the trunk. I mean it did the job but yeah could of easily used the extra power from the Artist that night in the wider/more open brewery/taproom space. Although, with more of a heads up my Fishman SA330x would have bested both, and then the Loudbox could function as an additional extension speaker for even more coverage (that IS why I went down that gear path after all). Hope it helps!

Last edited by jpino; 10-20-2020 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2020, 05:22 AM
Charter Member

I have the mini in the bedroom, (Wifey agrees) and an artist in my basement studio. Honestly, neither goes above “5”, so i cant compare top-end volume. I can say that both sound great at mid volumes, the artist with a slight edge on warmth of tone, while hitting highs just fine. Unless strict budget constraints, I would go for the artist. Not for tone or volume, but more for the additional versatility as already mentioned. Its not much more to tote around, for what you gain. Fishman really hit a winning design with the loudbox series.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification