The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-02-2018, 09:47 AM

Default Recording video on an iPhone

I'm curious about what is the easiest way to record a video on an iPhone (6s Plus) with decent audio.

I've got a Line 6 Sonic Port VX that would probably work. But I'm curious about something better, like recording the audio with an SM81.

Anyone have any experience with that? Recording a video on the phone and using a good external mic for the audio?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojobean39 View Post
I'm curious about what is the easiest way to record a video on an iPhone (6s Plus) with decent audio.

I've got a Line 6 Sonic Port VX that would probably work. But I'm curious about something better, like recording the audio with an SM81.

Anyone have any experience with that? Recording a video on the phone and using a good external mic for the audio?

Thanks in advance.
I did it a couple of times. I recorded the video with my phone and at the same time recorded the sound using my recording setup at the time into my DAW. Then I uploaded the video to my PC and used Windows Movie Maker to cut out the phones sound track and replaced it with the mp3 file output from my DAW after cleaning it up. Make sure you leave yourself some room at the beginning of the video so you can line up the sound track.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-03-2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
Here's a look at one iRig tool, the iRig Pro: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2015/...-lampg-videos/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-03-2018, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I did it a couple of times. I recorded the video with my phone and at the same time recorded the sound using my recording setup at the time into my DAW. Then I uploaded the video to my PC and used Windows Movie Maker to cut out the phones sound track and replaced it with the mp3 file output from my DAW after cleaning it up. Make sure you leave yourself some room at the beginning of the video so you can line up the sound track.
Yes, be sure to film yourself clapping in the video at the start of the track to help with the audio alignment.

Ask me how I know this...
Old 07-03-2018, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
Here's a look at one iRig tool, the iRig Pro: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2015/...-lampg-videos/

Fran

This is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for. I tried earlier with my Line 6 and with that mic plugged in it just completely kills the sound. I’m not sure if I’m just not using it right or if that’s not something it could do.

Any idea if this thing would work? The iRig PRE, instead of the PRO.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgIQt_D_BwE
Old 07-03-2018, 05:29 PM

So I’m an idiot. I just figured out that my Line 6 does work perfectly. But apparently, when I play back the recording, I have to remove the lightning cable from the port in order to hear it. Oops.

But I still might look at one of these iRig Pres so I can use a better mic than the Line 6. It’s not a bad mic, for what it is. But I could do better with my proper mics.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:38 PM

I recently bought a Shure MV88 for my iPhone. It is much better than I expected (I figured it would be a fun toy...but it's actually quite good). I recommend it for quick iPhone recordings (audio or video).

Is it a KM184 through an API or Neve? No! Not even close. But it's really good for what it is & much better than the built-in mic.

1927 Martin 00-21
1986 Fender Strat
1987 Ibanez RG560
1988 Fender Fretless J Bass
1991 Washburn HB-35s
1995 Taylor 812ce
1996 Taylor 510c (custom)
1996 Taylor 422-R (Limited Edition)
1997 Taylor 810-WMB (Limited Edition)
1998 Taylor 912c (Custom)
2019 Fender Tele
Old 07-03-2018, 10:09 PM
Eric Skye

I just ordered one of these http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio/ This will be after using a few different USB/Lightning mics and being disappointed. I've been posted some one minute lessons, short clips of vintage guitars, etc on Instagram (BTW) and struggling to get good audio...
Old 07-04-2018, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by min7b5 View Post
I just ordered one of these http://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigproio/ This will be after using a few different USB/Lightning mics and being disappointed. I've been posted some one minute lessons, short clips of vintage guitars, etc on Instagram (BTW) and struggling to get good audio...

That’s one of the things someone posted earlier. It looks like I could probably get away with the iRig PRE.

The Line 6 isn’t bad. It’s pretty good, for something I got for $100 used. But it certainly isn’t high quality.

This is a really rough clip of something I was messing with yesterday using the Line 6, trying to figure out how to get it to work. The mic was sitting on a leather chair and you can hear it slip in the beginning. It does sound a little weak though. I’m certain I can do better if I record in a better scenario and room. Ignore the rough playing.

https://vocaroo.com/i/s1OF5bFxyURO

I am thinking I might be able to use an external mic, run it through a preamp, plug it into the Line 6 and use it that way. I’m going to try that before I get the iRid PRE.
Old 07-04-2018, 07:54 AM
Charter Member

You could check out the Zoom recorders too.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 07-04-2018, 11:45 AM

Sort of a side question for anyone who's been following along...

This was tracked in PT and shot on a phone, and then synced up in Final Cut. The sync was dead on. But as you can see, on Facebook it's not; the track's ahead. Is this something that Facebook's known to do?

Dang out-of-sync Video.

She's playing my Ibanez, btw. Nice strummer.

Couch Standards

Last edited by Brent Hahn; 07-04-2018 at 04:36 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:11 PM

Quote:
This is exactly the kind of thing I’m looking for. I tried earlier with my Line 6 and with that mic plugged in it just completely kills the sound. I’m not sure if I’m just not using it right or if that’s not something it could do.

Any idea if this thing would work? The iRig PRE, instead of the PRO.

https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...iABEgIQt_D_BwE
The PRE feeds the audio input of the phone so the A/D conversion and preamp belong to the phone. The PRO connects through the digital input so the A/D and preamp belong to the iRig. I think the latter is preferable.

There's a stereo version of the PRO, the PRO Duo, but the standard IOS video app doesn't deliver stereo, at least it didn't last time I checked. But a third party app like Movie Pro does provide a stereo file.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 07-04-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The PRE feeds the audio input of the phone so the A/D conversion and preamp belong to the phone. The PRO connects through the digital input so the A/D and preamp belong to the iRig. I think the latter is preferable.

There's a stereo version of the PRO, the PRO Duo, but the standard IOS video app doesn't deliver stereo, at least it didn't last time I checked. But a third party app like Movie Pro does provide a stereo file.

Fran

Wow. Thanks for that. That’s the explanation I wanted, but couldn’t find anywhere. Not to a level I could understand, anyway.

I did find an article where a professional voiceover artist talked a little about the difference. He said the quality isn’t really noticeably different, except probably by the professional mixers and engineers who use these files.
Old 07-04-2018, 12:51 PM

The Zoom recorders do have nice sound. I used to have the H4. It wasn’t easy to use though, so I ended up getting rid of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post
Sort of a side question for anyone who's been following along...

This was tracked in PT and shot on a phone, and then synced up in Final Cut. The sync was dead on. But as you can see, on Facebook it's not; the track's ahead. Is this something that Facebook's known to do?

Dang out-of-sync Video.

It didn’t seem out of sync to me, but I was watching and listening on a phone.
Old 07-04-2018, 02:21 PM

Quote:
It didn’t seem out of sync to me...
Good to know. I tend to obsess.

Couch Standards

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD