The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore View Post
I used to play thru a Fender Hot Rod Delux... hated it !I need something small . when I do have the rare gig with electric guitar , I'd like something carryable! and also something that sounds good at home... these amps are huge you guys suggest... any others?
I will reiterate the Vox MV50 series and the bc108 cab. 9 lbs combined and will easily keep up with a Blues Jr in volume and tone department. Smallest, great sounding rig I have played through. If the AC is too dark, the boutique (sounds like a Dumble) or the clean may be your taste.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 06-26-2018, 07:10 PM

Default fender on fender

I'll profess a preference for blackface clean tones. The Princeton Reverb Reissue weighs 34 lbs, and with the right ceramic speaker can be plenty loud to gig in many situations. Also available with 12 a inch speaker in special edition models. The Deluxe Reverb is a terrific amp. Slightly bigger cab, 7 more lbs and 7 more watts but an absolutely heavenly tone. I own both of these amps and started with a Blues Junior, but haven't touched it since tasting the DRRI. Save a little more and shop used as others have suggested. You won't regret the extra $$$ once you play one.
Old 06-26-2018, 09:41 PM

Quote:
i bought this KATANA" amp by Boss to play my tele thru . don't like it . it's too "techy" . i just want a basic tube amp around the $500 mark . what do ya think? thanks.
The katana amp has a bit of a learning curve. If you have the patience to try some low tech settings with your Telecaster, you might be pleasantly surprised. I hated mine at first, but found many very exciting sounds.
I got a new American telecaster last year to replace my aging 1988 one. The new one was quite an upgrade from the one I've played for 30 years, in just about every way. Best results for me are a Carr Skylark, or my old 1965 Fender b/f deluxe reverb. Just jive perfectly with a Telecaster.
Good luck.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:35 AM

i did sell the Katana yesterday.just going to settle for something i can play at home....small!
Old 07-01-2019, 09:14 PM

I am late to this game... and this will get wordy, so I apologize in advance.

While I understand not liking the katana, I have met many that do not; being SS has some limitations. I have found the little 50w combo to be the most useful tool I have bought for the guitar in the past 20 years.

If only for practice: super low volume, headphones, playing with backing tracks. As well as laying down rough tracks in my studio, it's a keeper. I even do gigs with it. Just the small rooms and sideman shows.

So... to help you find a 500.00 keeper, I have some questions.

EDIT: Dang it I missed your last post.

If you are just going to play at home look for:

VHT 6w head or Combo
Peavey Classic 20 or Classic 30
Ethos Overdrive/Amp and a decent cab
Fender Princeton Reverb (if you can spend a few more bucks)
Rivera Era Fender Amps: Champ II, Prince Reverb II, Deluxe Reverb II (you will need to be paitent, but these can go for as low as 500 for time to time)
Supro Black Magick Model 1695T (used)

There are several others that are pretty cool for the money...

• What do you need to get from your amp. What size rooms, are you going to mic up, how loud is the band?
  • Do you care what it weighs and if its a head/cab?
  • Are you gonna keep the Katana for home use and get a stage rig, or do you need the new amp to do it all?
  • Do you use mostly pedals to get your tone or are you a plug and play kinda guy?
  • Are you looking for a multitude of tones or just one or two great ones?

lastly... do you like the tele tone of Robben Ford , Roy Buchanan , or old Albert lee best?

Last edited by therailriders; 07-01-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Charter Member

I love my Dr Z Carmen Ghia with a Weber Alnico Blue Dog speaker. Also just played a Dr Z Cure today which sounded very nice. More tone controls, a level control, and 6v6's in contrast to the Carmen Ghia.

I have also played Pro Juniors, Blues Juniors, Tweed Deluxes, and Princeton's that all sounded nice. I think it depends on what kind of sound you want, and your wattage range. There are nice amps for all prices.

For your $500 mark and it sounds like you want something simpler I would suggest trying a Blues Jr, Pro Jr, or Vox AC15C1. All plenty loud to gig with, but sound good at lower volumes too. Blues Jr and Vox may be more versatile due to their master volume.

The VHT 12/20 is a Princeton/blackface sort of sound but scales from 3, 5, and 12 watts roughly with 6v6 or EL84. Put in 6l6 or EL44 and it jumps up to 20 watts. There are some nice options in newer amps for things like power scaling or build in attenuators if you want to go that route.

I played an AC10 with a Tele a while back that sounded awesome. I think its all about playing alot of amps at the stores, and letting your ear be your guide.
Old 07-02-2019, 05:30 AM

Quote:
i did sell the Katana yesterday.just going to settle for something i can play at home....small!
If you want something small and tube for playing at home and recording I'm a big fan of the Fender Tweed Champ.

Check out this guy Johan Segeborn playing a Tweed Champ re-issue through a 2x12 cab using a vintage Tele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjIbHWm3yI

Here he is playing an SG through the same amp:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xC-oRD9UW-0

Playing a different Tele:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH5gY48DkHM
Squier Vintage Modified Telecaster Special
Yamaha BB414 Bass
Old 07-02-2019, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

I like tube amps for their sound as much as the next person (had more than a couple including a Pro Reverb and PRRI), but the last amp I bought was a Roland Blues Cube Hot.

Very simple, and solid-state (but not a full-up modeling amp), so it is light, but with 30w max it can be used almost anywhere. It has a power stage that is switchable down to 0.5w and can be almost whisper quiet but still retain all its sound. In short, I'm a fan. And, it sounded fantastic with my Baja 60s (now gone, though the amp remains).

It does have reverb, which I think is very good, though no tremolo. You should be able to get a used one for about $300 or less I'd think.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:57 AM

Sage advice from John Hiatt:

Sure I like country music
I like mandolins
But right now I need a Telecaster
Through a Vibro-lux turned up to ten...

Lets go to Memphis in the meantime baby...
Memphis in the meantime, girl

(Lyrics from "Memphis In The Meantime")
Old 07-02-2019, 09:22 AM

When I recorded last month,I used my PRS McCarty with Soap Bars into-a Black Face Tweed Deluxe. After listening to it it and figuring out where I needed to over dub, I switched to my Tele and plugged into a Victoria Tweed Deluxe. I started with volume and tone at 5. Too tame. I turned the volume all the way up, kept the tone at 5, and got what I was looking for.

At my last gig, used the Victoria turned up to 3, tone at 5, and it was glorious. Volume pot on the Tele at half for rhythm, and wide open for leads.
Old 07-02-2019, 09:40 AM

Tele + Fender Princeton Reverb is the most recorded combo in history (Wrecking Crew).
Old 07-06-2019, 11:11 AM

Default PRRI, DRRI

duplicate post
Old 07-07-2019, 11:02 AM
Charter Member

Default Egnator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTony View Post
I love the Egnater Tweaker head/cab.
Had a chance a couple years ago to play with a friend I hadn't seen for years. He had an Egnater Tweaker combo. I'm guessing around 30 watts or so. I was extremely impressed. Sounded full and very healthy. He was playing a LP Studio.

Depending on music type. I love a Tele and a twin. Twang and Surf, and a couple pedals for anything else. a match made in heaven. Although bright, they sound extremely warm.
2014 American Standard Telecaster (Maple Board)Mystic Blue
2008 Fender American Standard Telecaster (Rosewood Board)
1994 Fender 40th Anniversary Stratocaster Caribbean Mist
2011 Martin JC-16RE 50TH Anniversary
2004 Martin J-15
2011 Gibson ES-335 Cherry Red
1993 Continental TriCone
Old 07-07-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Having owned a lot of amps I will say that if you’re looking for a small amp with great tones...I agree with Roylor on the Vox mini heads. I have a MV50 Clean head on my live board. Plenty of power, very tubelike (unreal how much so), built in attenuation, line out and cab out (can be run simultaneously). It’s just a killer little head that sounds awesome. ESP when I run my Gretsch guitars through it. It fits on my board and keeps my tone pretty consistent no matter where I gig. Just run it through the house, and a cab if needed. I just use my monitors on stage with no cab

I also still stand by the “Tweaker” series. Great, very versatile amps.

Finally, after a couple of months spent with my Blues Jr Tweed/Lacquered with Jensen speakers...completely stock...it sounds phenomenal...

I sold my 65 TRRI months ago and haven’t looked back. Way too much amp for my needs. All the amps listed above have been a great fit for me. The Tweed with my Butterscotch Players Series Tele...fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E710CC6B-2D58-45E3-B44C-11975CBBCC5A.jpg (49.7 KB, 54 views)

Last edited by PTony; 07-07-2019 at 11:50 PM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
i just want a basic tube amp around the $500 mark . what do ya think? thanks.
Fender Super Champ X2. Slightly more than basic, but the 'voices' are there to see on a control knob and if you want to do some editing you can take it (via a computer hook-up) or leave it.

Or a Blackstar HT, which has some nice tone-shaping, again, via a control knob.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars