The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-13-2018, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
What a beautiful guitar! Thank you Paul and Cindy for the generous invite! I have to present at a conference in San Diego, so it worked out perfectly for me to meet them and meet this guitar (and Paul's other guitars) while I was down there. And then they invited me to use the guest house for the night! So instead of being downtown at the hotel, I am going to go play guitars with Paul and spend the night in the mountains. I am so stoked! I love my Steve Kinnaird FS and it will be fun to share it with Paul and to play his wonderful guitars. And make music with such a gifted musician!

Again- congratulations to you both! John- your guitars are always works of art! I've never played one of your beautiful instruments, so this will be a such a treat!

beth
Thanks Beth. I hope its tone and response do not disappoint.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:01 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemoman View Post
Wow--that does look like it's super comfortable...

Beautiful guitar, you guys--kudos all around!

Now let's hear it!!!
Thank you nemoman.
Old 07-14-2018, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Smile Clips...

Must do clips asap. But worn out at the moment.

Took this this to two gigs yesterday and one today ! Sounds a bit more dry and possibly "vintage" than my other JKs. Super comfy indeed.

My new #1 for sure. Cindy is calling it THE OVERLORD! Haha

Hey John, does this one have a serial number?

Woohoo...

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-15-2018 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2018, 03:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
Must do clips asap. But worn out at the moment.

Took this this to two gigs yesterday and one today ! Sounds a bit more dry and possibly "vintage" than my other JKs. Super comfy indeed.

My new #1 for sure.

Hey John, does this one have a serial number?

Woohoo...

Paul
148. It should be written on the inside of the top. You should be able to see it through the sound port. Write me if you cant.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Smile Hey Beth

Hey Beth CU tomorrow evening!

Cindy has renamed this. The MAPLE MONSTER is now:

THE OVERLORD. and rightly so.

Most comfortable acoustic of ANY size I have EVER played. Sounds KILLER. Really loud and clear with super string definition. Rocks in D, drop C, and open D.

Sounds spectacular played gently and has headroom out the wazoo.

Best neck ever for my hands.

Wore out a set of elixirs in 6 days, but have had a bunch of gigs.

Off for 2 more today.... hope to get a decent video up soon.

Thank You John!!!

Cheers

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 07-19-2018, 05:18 PM
AGF Sponsor

I'm happy its giving you satisfaction Paul. Play that sucker till the strings are smoking. I do like to know that a build is getting exercise.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:34 AM
Charter Member

Smile Fly on the wall...

Quote:
Originally Posted by j. Kinnaird View Post
Wish I could be a fly on the wall for this get together
John, you would be more like The Godfather!

We had a blast, playing your four, Steve and Ryan's beauty, a couple RTs, and my 555 which is FS, one more day... (which she loved!). Hint-hint.

I don't think I ever tuned so many guitars in one evening! It is big fun to hand them back and forth and hear from out in front as well as the driver's seat.

Beth does not post here much, but she has done a TON of AGF research and is very knowledgeable about instruments, builders and AGF members too.

She is also really knowledgeable about tons of brain research and she and Cindy hit it off as they have many interests in common there!

A great time was had.

Nice work Kinnaird Bros! May your herds continue to increase!

Cheers

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 07-21-2018, 04:17 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitars44me View Post
John, you would be more like The Godfather!

We had a blast, playing your four, Steve and Ryan's beauty, a couple RTs, and my 555 which is FS, one more day... (which she loved!). Hint-hint.

I don't think I ever tuned so many guitars in one evening! It is big fun to hand them back and forth and hear from out in front as well as the driver's seat.

Beth does not post here much, but she has done a TON of AGF research and is very knowledgeable about instruments, builders and AGF members too.

She is also really knowledgeable about tons of brain research and she and Cindy hit it off as they have many interests in common there!

A great time was had.

Nice work Kinnaird Bros! May your herds continue to increase!

Cheers
That sounds like fun Paul. If Beth is into brain research it's a good thing I was not there.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Smile Brain research...

Quote:
That sounds like fun Paul. If Beth is into brain research it's a good thing I was not there.
Actually, I bet you and I would be great research subjects. It has been proven over and over that music keeps our Grey Matter young and healthy.

Think of your guitars as helping a ton of folks stay brighter and happier! What could be much better, except superstar status, more money than you could ever spend and world domination?

Hahahahahahaha

Sell them all at Swananoa, and put up pretty pics if you can.

Cheers

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More
Old 07-21-2018, 07:12 PM

So I now know from first hand experience (multiple times playing it last night) that this guitar is amazing! It's got this deep resonance that is just so wonderful- actually all four of John's guitars had that depth and complexity to the sound. And with all of those bevels and the Manzer wedge and the short scale and the perfect neck- wow! It was a joy to play this instrument!

And Paul and Cindy are such generous, easy open hosts. It was wonderful to be with them! Paul is a gifted musician and it was so cool listening to him and then playing along with him some. He was very sweet and supportive of this amateur player and I'm very appreciative! I love playing with professional level players! Wow! I also was treated to a song on the drum set- I didn't know Paul was a professional drummer before turning to guitar.

I was a professor for almost 25 years and was in academia for longer, and the last 15 years or so before I quit teaching, my grad students and I were involved in doing research and providing clinical services to kids, with a speciality in gifted kids who had emotional and social challenges. Often, when one is gifted in one area, one's brain develops uniquely and other parts of the brain (like ability to stay calm) are actually further behind the developmental curve. Makes sense- being intense and intensely focused is a gift and can help folks do amazing things in their work. But that intensity can also be overwhelming and so kids can have meltdowns more easily and that sort of thing. So that was the focus of these talks I was giving in San Diego.

And just because it might be interesting to some of you.... When we were doing the clinic, the kids with the most intense meltdowns- gifted musicians and artists

One more thing.... After I gave my talk this morning, among the people coming up to me afterwards was someone who said that she so appreciated the feeling that was in the room as I gave the talk- it was open and supportive and it helped her as a mom of a kid who was struggling. I try to always enter these talks bringing that energy, but I'm sure I was carrying Paul and Cindy and his casita and the neighbors' cat who slept in the casita with me and the energy of playing great guitars until midnight. I entered that convention center in a very good place!

So thank you Paul and Cindy! A John Kinnaird guitar is now on my wish list!

beth
Old 07-21-2018, 10:12 PM
Charter Member

Smile Thanks Beth.

Thank you Beth! It was a pleasure having you visit, and it was great to get to play so many nifty Guitar's back to back! We were like kids in a candy store. And this place I get to live Is so magically beautiful! we took a nice walk, ate good food. And played a bunch more.

Hey folks, don't let Beth talk herself down. She has a recurring weekly gig at her church, and has for six years. Her finger picking is quite tasty and her flat picking is not bad! Better than mine!!! But I never flatpick, for good reason. Ha

Her ear is quite trained and she is a good singer. Second Alto. Altos have to sing harmonies so the ear training helps a lot!

She is quite knowledgeable about guitar esoterica, having educated herself here on AGF as well as elsewhere!

And her Steve Kinnaird FS is very nice indeed! VERY NICE!!!

Way to go Kinnaird west. It was great to finally get to play one of Steve and Ryan's beauties.

Nice to meet 'cha Beth!

Yay AGF

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-27-2018 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:57 AM
AGF Sponsor

And I thank you Beth for the good report.
Paul is one of the most positive influences on the agf and though we have never met in person our correspondence and phone calls convince me that he would be a fun person to visit. I can imagine you two had a blast.

Your conference presentation sounds very interesting. In a prior life I was a teacher of gifted students and they did present a unique set of personality traits and callenges. Wish I could have heard your presentation 20 years ago.

In sure everyone here on this forum would enjoy reading more of your posts so stay connected with us.

Last edited by j. Kinnaird; 07-22-2018 at 04:09 AM.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmh1 View Post
So I now know from first hand experience (multiple times playing it last night) that this guitar is amazing! It's got this deep resonance that is just so wonderful- actually all four of John's guitars had that depth and complexity to the sound. And with all of those bevels and the Manzer wedge and the short scale and the perfect neck- wow! It was a joy to play this instrument!

And Paul and Cindy are such generous, easy open hosts. It was wonderful to be with them! Paul is a gifted musician and it was so cool listening to him and then playing along with him some. He was very sweet and supportive of this amateur player and I'm very appreciative! I love playing with professional level players! Wow! I also was treated to a song on the drum set- I didn't know Paul was a professional drummer before turning to guitar.

I was a professor for almost 25 years and was in academia for longer, and the last 15 years or so before I quit teaching, my grad students and I were involved in doing research and providing clinical services to kids, with a speciality in gifted kids who had emotional and social challenges. Often, when one is gifted in one area, one's brain develops uniquely and other parts of the brain (like ability to stay calm) are actually further behind the developmental curve. Makes sense- being intense and intensely focused is a gift and can help folks do amazing things in their work. But that intensity can also be overwhelming and so kids can have meltdowns more easily and that sort of thing. So that was the focus of these talks I was giving in San Diego.

And just because it might be interesting to some of you.... When we were doing the clinic, the kids with the most intense meltdowns- gifted musicians and artists

One more thing.... After I gave my talk this morning, among the people coming up to me afterwards was someone who said that she so appreciated the feeling that was in the room as I gave the talk- it was open and supportive and it helped her as a mom of a kid who was struggling. I try to always enter these talks bringing that energy, but I'm sure I was carrying Paul and Cindy and his casita and the neighbors' cat who slept in the casita with me and the energy of playing great guitars until midnight. I entered that convention center in a very good place!

So thank you Paul and Cindy! A John Kinnaird guitar is now on my wish list!

beth
Thanks for sharing this story, Beth - it's sounds like great work you were doing. I love that you got to get together with Paul and swap guitars around - that sounds like a little bit of heaven! I hope to do more of that in the future, now that I'm part of the Kinnaird "clan," so to speak.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:37 AM

Thank you John! I'll try to get out of my shell and be a bit more overtly present here.

Paul and I did have a blast! He is wonderful and it was great to spend time with him playing your great guitars.

And somewhere in the midst of playing guitars, I asked Paul if you had any other career besides being a luthier and he didn't know. And given how the time went, of course you would have been a teacher of gifted students! They are unique and wonderful and creative and sometimes challenging little beings. I'm sure you were great for them.

beth

Quote:
And I thank you Beth for the good report.
Paul is one of the most positive influences on the agf and though we have never met in person our correspondence and phone calls convince me that he would be a fun person to visit. I can imagine you two had a blast.

Your conference presentation sounds very interesting. In a prior life I was a teacher of gifted students and they did present a unique set of personality traits and callenges. Wish I could have heard your presentation 20 years ago.

In sure everyone here on this forum would enjoy reading more of your posts so stay connected with us.
Old 07-27-2018, 02:03 AM
Charter Member

Smile Who wants to visit? Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJ VanSandt View Post
Thanks for sharing this story, Beth - it's sounds like great work you were doing. I love that you got to get together with Paul and swap guitars around - that sounds like a little bit of heaven! I hope to do more of that in the future, now that I'm part of the Kinnaird "clan," so to speak.
So, SJ do you ever get near San Diego? If so "come on down"!

Thought I had tomorrow off but duty calls again and I get to play! Maybe I can get some video up of this WAY BOSS AXE...

TOO COOL GUITAR!

Thanks again John

Lord help us I have more ideas for another... WE ARE ON A ROLL!!! AND John says why not? What a prince!!!

Paul

96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

More

Last edited by Guitars44me; 07-27-2018 at 02:10 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop