The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-15-2018, 03:50 PM
Charter Member

For the reasons stated above, I don't usually state the serial number of an expensive guitar, microphone or other item in my listings, but I do a compromise of sorts. Say its a 2005 guitar with a serial number of 456734. In the listing I will write, "2005 build date, serial number of 4567xx".
Old 07-15-2018, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
For the reasons stated above, I don't usually state the serial number of an expensive guitar, microphone or other item in my listings, but I do a compromise of sorts. Say its a 2005 guitar with a serial number of 456734. In the listing I will write, "2005 build date, serial number of 4567xx".
this is what I do too

keep in mind , professional sellers usually have some identifying info embedded in the image somewhere, so if it was used by others, you could trace it back
Old 07-15-2018, 04:12 PM

to discourage scams.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 07-15-2018, 11:29 PM

Same reason folks blur the license plate (or put their thumb or finger out over it in the pic) or hide serial numbers on firearms.

With the license plate I could see some ne'er do well reporting seeing a car with the exact description and plate number as yours running them off the road, and trying to get a police report and claiming damages on your insurance.

With the firearms, it's so they can report it stolen.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybones View Post
Same reason folks blur the license plate (or put their thumb or finger out over it in the pic) or hide serial numbers on firearms.

With the license plate I could see some ne'er do well reporting seeing a car with the exact description and plate number as yours running them off the road, and trying to get a police report and claiming damages on your insurance.

With the firearms, it's so they can report it stolen.

jaybones, I still don't see the basis for these illogical fears...

Ne'er do wells don't need pictures of our plates, they see our cars every day on the street, but we don't/can't block our plate numbers because of some irrational fear of a yahoo filing a false charge on us...

And I own firearms... someone is going to have a hard time claiming I have their stolen firearms, when I have receipts and registration for them...

Folks just need to keep their stuff squared away properly and not lose sleep over far fetched "what-if" scenarios...
Old 07-17-2018, 06:43 AM

Talking

Maybe it's like the dance of the seven veils, the last one stays in place until you pay.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:00 AM

If the seller states the the year of manufacture -- e.g. "a 1978 Gibson J-45" --I'm unclear as to why any prospective buyer needs the serial number.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
If the seller states the the year of manufacture -- e.g. "a 1978 Gibson J-45" --I'm unclear as to why any prospective buyer needs the serial number.
Numerology can play a part in some people's decisions. Some people like numbers that represent birthdays, special events etc. In many cultures there are lucky numbers and unlucky numbers. To many people this might sound trivial, but, I know that with real estate an address number can be very important to many people to the point that a sale or no sale will depend heavily on the address. Many North Americans like 7's and Chinese like 8's for example. 4's are considered unlucky in Chinese numerology.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
Numerology can play a part in some people's decisions. Some people like numbers that represent birthdays, special events etc. In many cultures there are lucky numbers and unlucky numbers. To many people this might sound trivial, but, I know that with real estate an address number can be very important to many people to the point that a sale or no sale will depend heavily on the address. Many North Americans like 7's and Chinese like 8's for example. 4's are considered unlucky in Chinese numerology.
Good point --- but I'm still not including serial numbers in my classified ads.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geelinus View Post
Good point --- but I'm still not including serial numbers in my classified ads.
Can you provide a reason why not?? Does someone out there have a big "book of serial numbers" and will come to your house to take it away? Seriously, I really dont get it. When people buy used car, its not unusual to take the vin# and run it thru some type of "car facts" site to check on it. But that could be on a 20K purchase...not a guitar. I mean, we are not dealing in plutonium here...its guitars...really!!! What could someone possibly due if they had the serial# to a guitar????? I still have not seen a reasonable answer.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paleolith54 View Post
The only half-believable explanation I've heard is that someone can report it as stolen to the local Police and, perhaps, get it from you that way if you can't document ownership. This seems pretty far-fetched (since if the scheme fails the perpetrator is now on the hook, right?) but I guess is not out of the realm of possibility.

I've sold a couple of Tom Andersons, and always supplied the serial number so folks could go to Tom's website and check on the specs for that specific guitar.
If that is a valid reason for blurring the SN out, the seller should still be willing to provide serial # upon request to potential buyer by e-mail so it can be used to verify guitar's year, etc.... E-mail can serve as evidence if needed, insuring the seller. The request by e-mail option should thwart would-be scammers.... The seller has no reasonable claim to not provide serial # one on one to potential buyer upon request.

J-45 song of the day archive
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._Zmxz51NAwG1UJ

My music
https://soundcloud.com/waynedeats76
https://www.facebook.com/waynedeatsmusic

My guitars
Gibson, Martin, Blueridge, Alvarez, Takamine
Old 07-17-2018, 01:02 PM

I have no problem giving the serial number to someone who invested the minimum time to write a mail and asking for it. That shows at least cursory interest and is an opportunity to establish personal rapport.

I don’t see why I would be obligated to share personal data with the rest of the world by revealing it in the ad, and why I would be considered paranoid for holding that view.

Lowden S25c - The Tool "Flying D" prototype - Heritage Eagle - MJT Thinline Telecaster - Fender CS 56 Stratocaster
Old 07-17-2018, 02:57 PM

Okay, I can see I'm never going to get a valid reason why NOT to put up serial numbers when I sell some of my guitars. I know you are not"obligated", I know these is "no reasonable claim", and I know you are not "paranoid" if you dont. But no one, NO one has posted a valid reason as to what harm can come to them if they do....unless they are paranoid.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Okay, I can see I'm never going to get a valid reason why NOT to put up serial numbers when I sell some of my guitars. I know you are not"obligated", I know these is "no reasonable claim", and I know you are not "paranoid" if you dont. But no one, NO one has posted a valid reason as to what harm can come to them if they do....unless they are paranoid.
did you see post 18?

" to discourage scams "

so how do we determine validity
Old 07-17-2018, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
Can you provide a reason why not?? Does someone out there have a big "book of serial numbers" and will come to your house to take it away? Seriously, I really dont get it. When people buy used car, its not unusual to take the vin# and run it thru some type of "car facts" site to check on it. But that could be on a 20K purchase...not a guitar. I mean, we are not dealing in plutonium here...its guitars...really!!! What could someone possibly due if they had the serial# to a guitar????? I still have not seen a reasonable answer.

Assuming the production year is given in the ad, I'd turn your question completely around:

"Why does a prospective buyer need the serial number? Why SHOULD I include it? What could a prospective buyer possibly do with it?"

IMHO, the serial number is about as relevant to most guitar sales as my shoe size -- which I also omit in an ad Since it's irrelevant information in 95% of all transactions, if a prospective buyer has a need for the number, he/she can ask for it. Think of it as a rapport building strategy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion