The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 09-19-2013, 02:27 PM

Default blues tutorial recommendations

Hey all,

I wanna start learning a bit of bluesy acoustic playing - not necessarily finger picking but more combining licks and runs with rhythm playing. I've seen Marty Shwartz has some helpful videos on this subject but wonder if anyone can recommend any books etc that can further help - maybe anything that helps give an understanding of the theory behind it to aide improvisation

Keith Wyats acoustic blues guitar and Kenny Sultans acoustic blues guitar both seem to have decent reviews. Has anyone used either of these and found them helpful?

Cheers
Old 09-19-2013, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Got just the thing for you.

Adam Traum's 'Learn To Play Blues Guitar With A Flatpick' DVD volumes 1 and 2. It's right up your alley.

You can order it from my Homespun Tapes page here:

https://leapingbrain.com/modshop/?shop=2275#
Old 09-19-2013, 04:01 PM

I found this to be a worthwhile purchase:

http://www.amazon.com/Flatpicking-Th...tpicking+blues

I also think the "Blues You Can Use" series is pretty good.

I specifically like the "Flatpicking the Blues" book because it is not a songbook. It makes an attempt (and I would say as solid an attempt as can be made through a book) to work on overall musicianship.

I still think that the "Flatpicking Essentials" series is the best book and CD system I have seen for building musicianship, but that series is built around using bluegrass and fiddle tunes.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:45 PM

"Guitar soloing, The Contemporary Guide to Improvisation" by Gilbert and Marlis.

The book is geared somewhat to the electric player but the theory of how scales are turned into blues and fit into a chord progression is similar between a Les Paul and a D28. Just ignore the parts which discuss the role of overdrive distortion and those three step bends.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:05 PM

I've really enjoyed 'Easy Steps to Acoustic Blues' DVD 1 + 2 by Happy Traum - also from Homespun tapes. Available as download or DVD - I downloaded but missed a bit of a lesson - about 1 minute worth. I think I would prefer the convenience of a DVD over the download. These lessons are fingerstyle but he also goes through strumming, and as you progress through the lessons you are encouraged to mix it up between fingerstyle and strumming - for example first thing he takes you through is basic strumming 12 bar blues in E, then gives fingerstyle turnarounds to add in, then goes through a few songs and on to some more advanced techniques. His style is humorous and easy to listen to and learn from. My playing has definitely improved since going through these lessons. I already had a reasonable understanding of Blues, but it never really came together - this DVD has really helped to bring it all together.
Cheers.
Old 09-21-2013, 07:22 PM

I love playing around with this. Marty has a lot of other good acoustic blues stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmIeah8K1cE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write