The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-19-2020, 10:46 PM

Default Break Time music....

We all take a break during a gig and some like to keep the vibe going by playing some music from a flash drive, cellphone or iPad while we relax between sets. Maybe you play 70s acoustic rock but put some jazz on softly.

So what genre are you performing and what do you play while you step away for a few minutes? Might be even more interesting for those among us that play original music to hear what they play between sets.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)

Last edited by Acousticado; 02-21-2020 at 03:50 PM. Reason: Fixed the title for ya
Old 02-20-2020, 08:07 AM

"Break time". From the post title, I thought you were listening to music while your car was being serviced!

Most places around here have 'juke boxes' (electronic, streamed music, not CDs or vinyl in them) which the bar pays for/licenses and wants people to put money into.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-20-2020, 08:08 AM

I did this when I was in my duo. I would put the music on as I was setting up and during breaks. We played covers that ranged from the 50's to the 80's mostly, concentrating on 60's and 70's. I put together a Spotify playlist that included songs from that era, some by the artists that we covered that we didn't play. I felt it was important not to play the original versions of songs that we covered.

I had entertained the idea of playing some of my original stuff during breaks, but many times I actually needed the break!

We only did this when we performed at parties or other events. When playing in a bar or restaurant, I felt the crowd and staff sometimes needed a break from the music.
Old 02-21-2020, 05:46 AM

My phone has some

Arlo
Bonnie
Poco
Joni
John Hartford
Bromberg
Little Feat
Gillian / Dave
Sean and Sara Watkins
Kristin Andreassen
Leon Russell
Phoebe Snow
Delany and Bonnie
Charlie Parr
Ry Cooder

Stuff like that.

If they don't like that they should leave anyhow...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallisticSquid View Post
I did this when I was in my duo. I would put the music on as I was setting up and during breaks. We played covers that ranged from the 50's to the 80's mostly, concentrating on 60's and 70's. I put together a Spotify playlist that included songs from that era, some by the artists that we covered that we didn't play. I felt it was important not to play the original versions of songs that we covered.

I had entertained the idea of playing some of my original stuff during breaks, but many times I actually needed the break!

We only did this when we performed at parties or other events. When playing in a bar or restaurant, I felt the crowd and staff sometimes needed a break from the music.
Oh, correct - do this at a party or other event, not at a restaurant/bar.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-21-2020, 08:15 AM
Charter Member

As someone in the audience I don't care for music "to keep the vibe going" during breaks. Audiences need breaks too. Without the break music when the performer comes back it makes a statement that the show is commencing again. Often the music played during the breaks just make the performers look less talented. It can also point out what kind of "vibe" the performer is attempting and whether they are succeeding or not. I suggest playing more subdued mussack music at a much lower volume during breaks.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 02-21-2020, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
As someone in the audience I don't care for music "to keep the vibe going" during breaks. Audiences need breaks too. Without the break music when the performer comes back it makes a statement that the show is commencing again. Often the music played during the breaks just make the performers look less talented. It can also point out what kind of "vibe" the performer is attempting and whether they are succeeding or not. I suggest playing more subdued mussack music at a much lower volume during breaks.
I very much had this philosophy when I was gigging, and did not play canned music during breaks . What I did do was mingle a bit.

I suppose it is because for me "the vibe" is the real time connection and ebb and flow between the performer and audience, I always tried to play for and with, the audience , not at them. And if I accomplished that sufficiently "the vibe " started right back up again after the break . And does involve, and is not dependent on some 3 rd element during the break .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 02-21-2020 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-21-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
I very much had this philosophy when I was gigging, and did not play canned music during breaks . What I did do was mingle a bit.

I suppose it is because for me "the vibe" is the real time connection and ebb and flow between the performer and audience, I always tried to play for and with, the audience , not at them. And if I accomplished that sufficiently "the vibe " started right back up again after the break . And does involve, and is not dependent on some 3 rd element during the break .
^^THIS 100%. If you're a decent player then your audience will want to meet and speak with you. Better during the breaks than when you're trying to pack up and go home IMHO.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:05 AM

I've played in very few situations where I've needed to provide my own break music. In those cases, I put on something similar, but not the same, as what I was playing.

I prefer no music. Give people a break, let 'em talk a bit.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic