The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-05-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Vintage watches

I have of late become fascinated by old mechanical watches! After acquiring some very old pocket watches, and wristwatches, I've had a chance to peer into their inner workings. What complexity and craftsmanship! I doubt there is anything being made today that will still work a century from now, save perhaps a hammer or anvil!
I'm curious, are there any others out there that have caught this timepiece bug?
Old 02-05-2020, 11:12 AM
Guest 33123

Why not combine your two interests?

https://www.martinguitar.com/guitars...lionth-guitar/
Old 02-05-2020, 11:18 AM

I've been collecting old pocket watches for many years. I concentrate on RR quality and Canadian particularly. Yes, I'm amazed at the quality of these pieces of mechanical wonder. I have ones that are over 100 years old and run within a few seconds a day correctly.

It's quite amazing when you start to realize that all those wheels have to work together for the hour, minute and second hands. And, then there is the mainspring that has to be wound and keep those wheels going at the correct speed as the mainspring looses its 'wind'. Amazing stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 01:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hat View Post
I have of late become fascinated by old mechanical watches! After acquiring some very old pocket watches, and wristwatches, I've had a chance to peer into their inner workings. What complexity and craftsmanship! I doubt there is anything being made today that will still work a century from now, save perhaps a hammer or anvil!
I'm curious, are there any others out there that have caught this timepiece bug?
I take exception to such a broad statement about EVERYTHING made today being of less quality/longevity as objects made in the past.

My wrist watch was made in Switzerland and I have had it for more than 20 years. It has never been opened and has never given me any trouble. It is completely mechanical (does not contain any electronics at all) and is self-winding. It takes very little movement to keep it running.

I don't know the actual maker of the watch because it was imported by a company in New Jersey who in turn, sells them directly to jewelry companies with that company's name in the place of the maker's name.

The watch has a clear area in the back so I can see the movement working. It is rather impressive. I see no reason this watch couldn't last a century or more, though I won't be around to see it and therefore won't know for certain.

There are a number of items made today that are of high quality, if one is willing to pay for them. I suspect that what gives some folks (not all by any means) the impression that everything today is junk is that there are so many decent inexpensive products available. To keep costs down, it may well be that such products are not made to last. However, for those willing to pay for quality, it is available.

I can certainly appreciate the quality from "days of old", but not at the expense of recognizing that quality products can still be had today.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-05-2020, 02:28 PM

Niall was a US manufacturer that was briefly popular until they went under. They used Swiss movements but designed, assembled and finished in the US. Still some around.
Old 02-05-2020, 02:48 PM

Quote:
It's an old bug here along with a collection of fountain pens, classic bicycles, and a 1930 car.

What's funny about it is the watches are all stored because of the way I value my Apple Watch and like to travel without an expensive watch standing out.

I'll disagree about craftsmanship and modern things made that will last. Great mechanical watches are still made. Same for fountain pens and other things. Like guitars, at times I think the modern output is best ever. I have newer Swiss watches with classic movements that have been better than some older ones. Same for pens. Modern manufacturing is so good and I believe that's why.

As much as I love modern manufacturing quality, I still love what small batch experts do and I have much respect for what was turned out before the modern tools and knowledge.
Old 02-05-2020, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

My wife had bought me a really nice moon phase watch and I became obsessed with nice watches. I was gifted her father's pocket watch which I carried to special events etc.

Loved those things.

Years ago the pocket watch, my father's WWII pins and my high school class ring were all gone. It had been quite some time since I looked at them so I can't even pinpoint when they disappeared.

Understandably my wife was very upset (and angry). I even look on the lost class ring website every few years.

I have a suspicion that it was one of our kids friends that were in the house (not any current kids' friends - haven't heard from them in many years).

So, I got so discouraged I haven't even looked at my watch(es) in years.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 02-05-2020, 06:28 PM

There was a recent episode on A Craftsman’s Legacy about a man who builds handmade mechanical movement watches. Very interesting craftsmanship.

Also, if you are interested in the development of truly accurate watches, pick up a book called Longitude. The book is about navigation but accurate watches were crucial in naval navigation (and even modern GPS is based on accurate time keeping).

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 02-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawk View Post
Also, if you are interested in the development of truly accurate watches, pick up a book called Longitude. The book is about navigation but accurate watches were crucial in naval navigation (and even modern GPS is based on accurate time keeping).
I was about to mention exactly the same book, but you beat me to it.

Longitude: The True Story of a Lone Genius Who Solved the Greatest Scientific Problem of His Time, by Dava Sobell.

Highly recommended.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-06-2020, 07:07 AM

I've never owned a vintage watch, but do enjoy looking at them.

I prefer analog to digital, seems to give me more time..... ?

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-06-2020, 09:28 AM

If you have one of those "Atomic Watches" accurate to a billionth of a second, how does one set it? Even at the speed of light (186,000 miles per second) that's about 8 inches or so it is real difficult to get an accurate setting. "MARK" Oops I'm a little off, do it again------ I think I'll stick to my Timex!

Fog
Old 02-06-2020, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Take a look at the work of Roger Smith, his watches are hand made to last for a very, very long time. You might also look at his mentor George Daniels, in particular the Space Traveller watch he made.

https://www.youtube.com/user/rwsmithwatches/videos
Old 02-06-2020, 04:53 PM

Yep, have a few antique (old) pocket and wrist watches. Amazing workings inside.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:02 PM

There are plenty of great quality-made watches being made today just like they were decades ago. I've got a few. I also have some very vintage pocket watches that my father left me. I had to spend a lot of money having them rebuilt but they are probably as good today as when they were built. The thing about fine watches is that they need to be cleaned and adjusted every 5-10 years to keep them up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic