The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-15-2019, 02:39 PM

Default Dual Source: K&K PureMini, Fishman (Martin) Thinline

Most people seem to be including a mic when putting together a dual source system. Instead I'm wondering about mixing a K&K Pure Mini with a Martin (Fishman) Thinline UST. Both are passive and would run into a Schatten Mini Pre 2 for blending. The K&K is already installed, the Thinline is from an old installation and I own the Schatten Pre 2. My thinking is that the Thinline would add a little snap to the K&K in situations where it was needed. Thoughts before I start ripping things apart?
Old 12-16-2019, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
Most people seem to be including a mic when putting together a dual source system. Instead I'm wondering about mixing a K&K Pure Mini with a Martin (Fishman) Thinline UST. Both are passive and would run into a Schatten Mini Pre 2 for blending. The K&K is already installed, the Thinline is from an old installation and I own the Schatten Pre 2. My thinking is that the Thinline would add a little snap to the K&K in situations where it was needed. Thoughts before I start ripping things apart?
Another interesting approach would be to wire the two pickups directly in parallel. Some years back PUTW's David Enke speculated that wiring a high output passive crystal piezo SBT (like the Pure Mini) in parallel with a high output passive crystal piezo UST (like the Thinline) might provide results similar to wiring a passive PUTW film piezo "Quackbuster" SBT in parallel with a passive film piezo UST.
Old 12-16-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
Another interesting approach would be to wire the two pickups directly in parallel. Some years back PUTW's David Enke speculated that wiring a high output passive crystal piezo SBT (like the Pure Mini) in parallel with a high output passive crystal piezo UST (like the Thinline) might provide results similar to wiring a passive PUTW film piezo "Quackbuster" SBT in parallel with a passive film piezo UST.
Interesting idea.. Adding the Thinline to the K&K mini's would be simple though you wouldn't be able to control the volume between the two. I suspect the mini's would be louder than the UST but that could be a good thing. Might just add a little snap to the output of the K&K while keeping everything mono.
Old 12-16-2019, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrianw View Post
Interesting idea.. Adding the Thinline to the K&K mini's would be simple though you wouldn't be able to control the volume between the two. I suspect the mini's would be louder than the UST but that could be a good thing. Might just add a little snap to the output of the K&K while keeping everything mono.
There are two things which I recall about adding a "Quackbuster" to a film piezo UST.

1) You get what you get with respect to the blend. It can't be adjusted as with active blending.

2) The output level was lower than with the UST by itself. This tended to surprise Quackbuster users initially.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification