The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2020, 08:52 PM

Don’t turn up your nose at Spam if you eat any of the following:
Hot dogs
Summer Sausage
Any rolled sausage
Beef sticks and other assorted ground up animal components.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-04-2020, 04:10 AM

Monty Python flashback anyone?
Old 02-04-2020, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Grenier View Post
Monty Python flashback anyone?
I wanna be a Lumberjack ! Oh , you said Spam .
How about some green eggs and ham ?
Old 02-04-2020, 08:07 AM
Charter Member

Looks like AGF has its own Spambassadors!
Old 02-04-2020, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
Don’t turn up your nose at Spam if you eat any of the following:
Hot dogs
Summer Sausage
Any rolled sausage
Beef sticks and other assorted ground up animal components.
So because I think ALL those things are nasty "food products" (I hesitate to call them food) I guess I can call out Spam too. Yuck-O!
Old 02-04-2020, 11:05 AM

And them there was Penrose hot sausages . They still make them but the label had changed .
The first 2 items listed were Beef , Beef Lips .
The Beef Lips part has been replaced with beef byproducts or parts . It has been a long time since I ate them so I don't recall the exact change that was made .
Old 02-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
It must be a generational thing. Meat that comes in a can is all suspect to me.
Loved it when I was a kid. Makes me want to hurl now. I can't think of anything worse for you than processed meat covered in salt and fat. Maybe meth.
Old 02-04-2020, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Paul View Post
Looks like AGF has its own Spambassadors!
All I know is that this thread must be giving the forum software a coronary! I thought SPAM was against the rules if you weren't a charter member?
Old 02-05-2020, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
SPAM in the can is just simply good stuff!
I like it raw on white bread - yummy!
Fried for breakfast meat is almost as good as bacon.
Fried Spam and eggs for breakfast. Good stuff.
Old 02-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterhound View Post
And them there was Penrose hot sausages . They still make them but the label had changed .
The first 2 items listed were Beef , Beef Lips .
The Beef Lips part has been replaced with beef byproducts or parts . It has been a long time since I ate them so I don't recall the exact change that was made .
I once saw a package of hot dogs that listed it's main ingredient as "pig lips". Once when I was a kid my folks made head cheese. I can still see the pig's head in the big pot of boiling water.
Old 02-05-2020, 11:16 AM

I couldn't do it.

My truck driving and IT careers both have had and have me around commercial food making. That includes Oscar Mayer plant and plants that supply Smithfield & Wal-Mart.

Now I work where the parent company owns grocery stores and traditional butcher meat markets. The way our butchers make or sausage is a whole lot different than what I know goes into the mass market stuff. Stuff that becomes pet food and land fill in our operation goes into your mass market stuff.

More scary than meat in a can is the experience with inspectors and regulation. Recent exceptions that are speeding up meat processing are a big concern. That proximity to it all has me thinking the self-regulation trend for food is a poor idea kind of like self-regulation at Boeing didn't work out so well.
Old 02-05-2020, 05:35 PM
Charter Member

.....I lived on spam velveeta wonder bread and canned pork and beans in my early college days....a diet like that would likely kill me in less than a month now....

Last edited by J Patrick; 02-05-2020 at 06:31 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:47 AM

When I was in South Korea playing a music tour of military bases, most of the South Koreans I met were crazy for Spam. It was so sought after by the locals that the US Armed Forces Base and Post Exchange grocery stores in Korea limited all customers in their stores - active duty military and dependents alike - to a small weekly ration of Spam. Otherwise those Korean dependents who had married an American would absolutely clean out the store's allotment, then turn around and sell the cans at a premium on the local black market.

Most of the Pacific Islanders I've been around are also very fond of Spam. Which makes sense, given that many of the villages that people live in on those islands lack electricity and refrigerators. Once they move to the mainland they've already got a taste for Spam.

whm
Old 02-07-2020, 04:37 PM

Confession. As much as I'm somewhat repulsed by some commercial food processing, I'm also more and more hung up on safe food handling.

On a recent trip to Jamaica a few of us traveled in the mountains and towns where tourists don't usually go. All over people do their own slow farming as subsistence and not a marketing trend. I was a bit cautious with what I'd try. I didn't have any problems with cooked food eaten by hand.

My scary moment was wanting to try some jackfruit ripe like you'll never see it at home. A rasta chef behind a roadside place offered me some. I had to try it. He was cooking for nearby villas but had his own vegetarian stuff. I wondered how clean his knife was. While I had a Red Stripe in a bottle, my brother's woman had a drink in a glass. She's the one who had trouble.

At a high level, I get the SPAM attraction as salted and sugared meat. I just prefer Jones ham, sausage and bacon if you're lucky enough to have it in your market. They're still a quality family owned meat processor making stuff that looks like it came from an animal. They've been at it about as long as Martin's been making guitars. I know the current chief exec family member and always wish businesses like that the best. They still maintain their early 1800s home and cook there. That's my go to salted and/or sweetened pork. As said earlier I also like the sausage made in the kitchens where I work. That's a 4th generation family product and something they still do even though there's 750 employees now.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
When I was in South Korea playing a music tour of military bases, most of the South Koreans I met were crazy for Spam. It was so sought after by the locals that the US Armed Forces Base and Post Exchange grocery stores in Korea limited all customers in their stores - active duty military and dependents alike - to a small weekly ration of Spam. Otherwise those Korean dependents who had married an American would absolutely clean out the store's allotment, then turn around and sell the cans at a premium on the local black market.

Most of the Pacific Islanders I've been around are also very fond of Spam. Which makes sense, given that many of the villages that people live in on those islands lack electricity and refrigerators. Once they move to the mainland they've already got a taste for Spam.

whm
I've traveled in S. America, Mideast, Russia, E. Europe, many places in Caribbean and N. America. I totally get the preserving meat.

I didn't get it as a younger person but also understand where salt fish is a thing. Even in 2020 travel in Jamaica can be an adventure so I totally get the recipes where the salt fish is in a stew with fresh things.

If you have the way they do oxtail stew or a goat curry you certainly know what can be in that can of SPAM but with that you can still pick out what you don't want to or maybe should not eat!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic