The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 12-25-2019, 09:01 AM

Default Arranging your Screen for practice - Microsoft Powertoys 'Fancy zones'

Now that larger and wider monitors have become commonplace, I've discovered a great solution for practicing from my online material.

Check this out:

screeenCapture.jpg

Microsoft resurrected its 'Powertoys' program for Windows 10. Above is the screen split I have been using to practice. What you are seeing is Toby Walker's video to the left and the separate .pdf tab file on the right. The tool is called "Fancyzones". You can re-jigger the screen split however you want to, but I find the 2/3 - 1/3 split to be optimal. Then, you drag your window with the shift key depressed and the window fits into your preferred split. This is different than the windows + arrow command, as you have much more control of the layout.

fancy zones.jpg

Above are some of the splits you can work out.

You need a slight amount of technical expertise to set this up. It will require an .msi download from GitHub. And then, once installed, you need to read the instructions carefully (which I should have done!) to make it work just right.

Here's the link:
https://insider.windows.com/en-us/articles/announcing-the-first-preview-and-code-release-of-powertoys/"]https://insider.windows.com/en-us/ar...-of-powertoys/

I used to use a dual monitor setup, but this is a lot more efficient. And if you have one of the new wide screen monitors, you can really make a slick practice setup.

Enjoy.

Last edited by srick; 12-25-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 02:03 PM

Very cool. Thanks for this, srick.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write