The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-27-2019, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
My suggestion then is that you look for a used Martin D-18 or - if you can find one - a used Gibson Advanced Jumbo (AJ.) A Gibson model that might also do the job rather nicely is a recent J-35; these have the scalloped “advanced” bracing of the AJ adapted for the shorter scale.

Which is different than the scalloped bracing that the J-45 Vintage and the Eastman E1SS-LTD-CLA have: the AJ and J-35’s bracing is placed forward, hence the “advanced” designation. That’s what makes those guitars more projective.

There might also be other guitars in Eastman’s product line that will cut through the mix at loud jam sessions, but a short scale round-shouldered dreadnought modeled after the J-45 is not as likely to do the job as a J-35 will.

What’s at issue here, as I tried to explain in my earlier post, isn’t brute volume per se but projection. Getting a projective guitar will give you what you’re looking for.

Unfortunately, the average sales clerk at the average music store knows little about acoustic guitars to begin with, and their solution for being heard in loud situations is simply to plug in. So if you walk in and ask about acoustic guitars with projection as opposed to those with an enveloping presentation, they’ll probably look at you like you’ve got two heads.

Those are attributes that you have to figure out for yourself. It’s easiest to do that when you can stop by on a quiet weekday morning, not when there are lots of other people trying out guitars on the weekend.

But if you keep your eyes peeled for a Gibson AJ or J-35 or find a recent D-18, it’s hard to go wrong.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller

thanks yet again. I'm about ready to leave for an acoustic jam and will bring my "new" Epiphone AJ500MNS and see how it projects ... or doesn't. I still have the light-gauge whatever brand strings that came when I got the guitar so I haven't changed yet to my preferred mediums. I think your suggestions are good and informative ... but I just can't afford more than about $800 or so ... and that's stretching things a lot. So getting this guitar and a case for under $350 just made sense to me.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 10-27-2019, 10:41 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
I have to say...I haven’t been around this place for a great deal of time. But I just wanted to take a moment and say that it is VERY noticeable how much you contribute to this community in terms of good, practical, and useful information. I have really taken note of that in my short time here. Thanks for all your time and contributions sir. It is people like yourself that make this a great place to hang out.

At 45 I’m okay but I do have some diagnosed issues going on with my shoulders that will probably inevitably work against me in larger ways later on. Got to get ahead of it. Perhaps this stuff will help.

Take care, and thanks again.
Agreed, Silly is the epitome of the spirit of AGF. He adds much here, as does Wade.

best,
scott memmer
Old 10-27-2019, 12:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
Thank you for very much for that detailed info. That makes me rethink my appeal to the guitar as I really want a loud guitar that can hang with other guitars at an acoustic jam. The pickup I would probably never use. I just assumed the Adirondack top would give it a little more volume. I still will test one out, though.
I'll put in my .02

I think the E1SS LTD would do just fine in a jam....hint, it is plenty loud
I have a natural finish one, and it is quickly becoming my favorite guitar ever!

Congrats OP on your E1SS CLA LTD!
Old 10-27-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charmed Life Picks View Post
Agreed, Silly is the epitome of the spirit of AGF. He adds much here, as does Wade.

best,
scott memmer
Yes sir indeed
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-27-2019, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Yes sir indeed
+1 from me.

This forum is a mine of knowledge for me. I've learned loads

Pick on

Slim
2007 BSG GJ-27 12 string
2005 BSG J-27
2020 Regal RD-30M Resonator
1938 Dobro model unknown
2023 Michael Messer Fiddle Edge Dobro

Plus a Takamine and an old S.Yairi.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:
This is such a steel for $799.00, that anyone even considering one of these should jump on it before they are no longer available.
I grabbed one off Reverb about two weeks ago for $450.00.
Mint condition, like new, from a dealer somewhere in the midwest who took one in one a trade-in.
I kid you not.
I freakin' Love this guitar.

I also noticed the saddle on mine looked high, it stuck out immediately.
I had mine set up by my luthier, I believe he shaved it down a notch.
But it still has plenty of saddle on it.

I read somewhere someone commented that it seemed to have 'built in reverb'.
Which is one of the strangest comments I've ever read about a guitar.
But...I swear they were not kidding, it's true.
I couldn't quite believe it but it is there, like a built in reverb tank in the thing.
Eastman 2012 AH6OM
Eastman 2016 HE-222GAC
Eastman 2018 E1SS Ltd
La Patrie Presentation
La Patrie Collection
Old 01-17-2020, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drak View Post
I grabbed one off Reverb about two weeks ago for $450.00.
Mint condition, like new, from a dealer somewhere in the midwest who took one in one a trade-in.
I kid you not.
I freakin' Love this guitar.

I also noticed the saddle on mine looked high, it stuck out immediately.
I had mine set up by my luthier, I believe he shaved it down a notch.
But it still has plenty of saddle on it.

I read somewhere someone commented that it seemed to have 'built in reverb'.
Which is one of the strangest comments I've ever read about a guitar.
But...I swear they were not kidding, it's true.
I couldn't quite believe it but it is there, like a built in reverb tank in the thing.
Wow!! That is a great deal. Congrats!! Mine had a high saddle also but when I pulled out the under saddle pickup it dropped down to a perfect position.

Loving mine more everyday. Ernie Ball Earthwood medium light phosphor bronze with a 1.0 nylon pick sound great on this guitar.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion