The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-11-2017, 09:07 AM

Default Crossover Nylon guitar question

Hi all,

I would like to buy a crossover nylon guitar. I would like to have a guitar with loud enough volume without an amplifier. I know that crossover guitars have a preamplifier and smaller guitar body which affects directly the volume.

My first option is a takamine tc135sc but I played the takamine TH90. The TH90 sounded dark and with low volume from my point of view.

Any suggestions? Opinions?

Your answers are more than welcome.

Best Regards, Daniel.
Old 05-11-2017, 09:55 AM

First off, welcome to the neighborhood! I'm sure you'll get a lot of great ideas/input here, but unfortunately, not from me......I have no experience with either, but that 135 looks great on Tak's website...can you get to a shop that has a few to compare?
Old 05-11-2017, 10:02 AM

Thanks a lot for your answer!
Old 05-11-2017, 10:03 AM

Keep checking back; I'm confident you'll get lots of help anon...
Old 05-11-2017, 10:04 AM

I don't have the option to play this guitar here. I only can order the guitar on the internet...

thanks again, Daniel.
Old 05-11-2017, 10:18 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Hi Daniel. I suggest that in addition to the wood crossovers you're looking at, you should also consider carbon fiber crossover offerings from Rainsong, Emerald (allows customizations) and Blackbird. As you may know, CF is immune to humidity issues and holds tuning remarkably. To my recollection, acoustic volume has never been stated as an issue with CF crossovers. I don't know your budget, but CFs are quality instruments and are not cheap. If you want to know more, I further suggest that you spend some time in the AGF carbon fiber subforum. There are a few very knowledgeable members there who are nylon/crossover aficionados (EvanB, Tom2, sirwhale, in particular). There are a number threads that discuss CF crossovers. Good luck in your hunt.

Here's a link to one detailed thread: http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=469133
Old 05-11-2017, 11:55 AM
Charter Member

There have been some similar discussions in the "Classical" section of this forum. You might have a look there for some other opinions, if you have't already. Cordoba crossovers seem to have a lot of support.
-Bob
Old 05-11-2017, 11:58 AM

Acousticado is right that the Carbon Fibre crossovers are good to look into. The main two being the Emerald X20 nylon, and the Rainsong Parlor Nylon.

The only wooden crossover I have come across that has a full classical body and no electronics is the Cordoba C9 crossover and the Cordoba C10 crossover.

I tried the C10 (spruce & rosewood), but I sent it back for the C9 (cedar & mahogany), which I prefer. I did this with a very well know and large German store.

In terms of them being loud enough to play without an amp, what context is this in? Mine are definitely loud enough to play at home, and louder than the acoustics I have had. I wouldn't know if they are loud enough for other contexts. If I were to do a concert, I'd use my crossover with electronics. But I prefer the C9 for playing as it has a better acoustic sound.

Basically these guitars are classical guitars, with a modified neck.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos

Last edited by sirwhale; 05-12-2017 at 12:39 AM.
Old 05-11-2017, 03:53 PM

You're sort of asking for a nice voicing in a guitar designed to be plugged. Not sure that's available. I bought the Yamaha NTX1200R and for the thin, smaller body it projects about as respectably as it can.

I qualified the guitar as probably the best entry-level trainer one could ever want and then gifted it to my son, a budding player, to learn fingerpicking on. He's pretty satisfied with the guitar. He plugged into my Fishman SA220 and became convinced any other guitar at this point, and for the near future, is unnecessary. It's a fine stage performer (plugged) for giving a sound minus the typical Piezo characterizing of steel strings, IMO.

I played a few others before settling for the Yamaha. I think I chose it because Yamaha is a solid company and their electronics simply do not break.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:35 PM

Cordoba!!!!!!!!
Old 05-12-2017, 12:36 AM

As someone said, I think that crossover guitars are designed to be plugged into an amplifier. For this reason, they don't have high volume.

I have the opportunity to buy a ovation legend classic model 1763 (built in 1992).

What do you think? It is not a crossover but maybe it fits better in what I'm looking for (louder volume). I don't know if it is a confortable guitar with a good volume.

thanks a lot for your answers, Daniel.
Old 05-12-2017, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisev2001 View Post
As someone said, I think that crossover guitars are designed to be plugged into an amplifier. For this reason, they don't have high volume.

I have the opportunity to buy a ovation legend classic model 1763 (built in 1992).

What do you think? It is not a crossover but maybe it fits better in what I'm looking for (louder volume). I don't know if it is a confortable guitar with a good volume.

thanks a lot for your answers, Daniel.
For me, the scale is too long and the radius of the fretboard is too much. Plastic nut. It has X bracing which is designed for steel strings, not nylon.

I'm pretty sure you will like the Cordoba C9 and C10 crossovers.

http://www.cordobaguitars.com/p/c9-crossover
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 05-12-2017, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danisev2001 View Post
Hi all,

I would like to buy a crossover nylon guitar. I would like to have a guitar with loud enough volume without an amplifier....
Loud enough for what?

I have never come across a regular full bodied nylon string guitar that was not loud enough next to a few people singing.
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-12-2017, 01:10 AM

Perttime you are right. All these guitars sounds loud enough for that. I am just only talking about my taste. I tried a Yamaha ntx (I don't remember the number), for me the sound was poor and without life.

Regards, Daniel.
Old 05-12-2017, 01:14 AM
Charter Member

I have 3 Hybrid nylon guitars.

- Cordoba Fusion Maple 12 fret (779.00)
- Takamine Pro Series (1249.99)
- Taylor 712ce-N (3,000)

The Cordoba is a great guitar with that distinct Cordoba sound. It's plenty loud unplugged (louder than the other 2) and the tone is closer to a classical guitar than the other 2.

The Takamine has the most comfortable neck and destroys the other 2 when plugged into my Bose. Sadly when Unplugged it sounds like a hollowed out 2x4.

The Taylor wins the beauty contest and by far had the best factory setup. It sounds great but bang for the buck it is not.

If I were to recommend one to a first timer with a crossover then I would have to say the Fusion Maple 12 for sure. Awesome for fingerstyle, good sounding pickup, cutaway, great acoustic tone, and brand new at 779...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion