The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-21-2013, 05:53 AM

More like the Teleacoustic.Actually took the outline of a Tele and a Les Paul and married them. I was looking for a cheap thinline acoustic around here and could not find one so I made one.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:03 PM

Finished the nut and she is playable. I have to bring down the bridge a bit but probably tomorrow, having a bit of fun tonight.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Had the guitar strung up but fate caused me to re-evaluate the tailpiece. Spent part of the day and ended up with this along with a temporary bridge.

Just did a quick fret leveling and still have to do the nut. The guitar is bright, I have a set of electric strings on it, hoping to get some acoustic ones in a couple of days and see what they will do. It seems louder than the acoustic in the previous picture and sounds part way between an electric and an acoustic. Found out from the lumber yard the wood that I used for the top is pine.

Looking good!!

Dont know if it's just the photo angle but the neck centerline looks a little off compared to the strings, maybe need to move the tailpiece a little towards the soundhole side to center the strings to the neck???
Old 01-25-2013, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby b View Post
Looking good!!

Dont know if it's just the photo angle but the neck centerline looks a little off compared to the strings, maybe need to move the tailpiece a little towards the soundhole side to center the strings to the neck???
I am a little off on the neck angle, not really as bad as the photo shows. Shifting the tailpiece would work but either I have to put a slot in it or fill the hole in the body and re-drill it. Probably not worth the effort, this was a first build to learn some of the tricks of the trade and as a practice guitar when I want something between my acoustic and my electric. I am a rank beginner as far as playing guitar and by the time I get good enough to worry about the offset I should have another one built. I probably will build another tailpiece at some point in time.

I am already planning on building another but with a real spruce top and probably regular acoustic construction. Still a thinline or whatever you call this size of guitar. It is very comfortable to play and I am surprised that they do not sound half bad. Mind you, above the 14th fret I think this guitar could use some improvement in the tone, I would also like to play around with different bridges. Still a few things to sort out yet.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 AM

So I have a question. I built this not knowing what sound to expect but just hoped it would be loud enough to hear and not be too dead sounding. When I first strung it up it sounded pretty bright and with a lot of attack but it seems to have mellowed out some. I bought some silk and steel strings to take the bite out but might not need them now. Right now I have some run of the mill D'Addario electric strings on it.

So I am wondering, did the strings I have on it settle in, did the wood loose some of its stiffness after some playing, has the change in weather effect my sinuses and my hearing? I think I am feeling ok this morning but I will only really know after my second cup of coffee. I still have to take off the strings and do a proper fret job but I am having a hard time putting the guitar down long enough to do it.
Old 12-28-2014, 08:43 PM

Love this build, very similar to one I've been working on. Any chance of posting some sound clips or video?
Old 12-28-2014, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gas House Guits View Post
Love this build, very similar to one I've been working on. Any chance of posting some sound clips or video?
No. It was just a steppingstone in a direction I never knew I would take. I had no interest in making acoustic guitars before this guitar. I just had some health issues that had me stuck in bed for a time and I wanted something to practice with that was louder than an electric unplugged. It actually turned out much better than I expected, I did not expect too much, but because of it I thought I might actually be able to build a real acoustic.

I could always change the top and put some good spruce on it but the biggest deficiency is the lack of bottom end. Being a shallow body and a solid back that contributes nothing to the tone it sounds thin. Actually more in common with an archtop in sound than a flattop. I just hauled it out to listen to what it sounds like to answer your question. Some day I will find a use for the neck, I am surprised for being my first neck it feels quite nice. If it had a heel on it I probably would put the neck on an archtop. More than likely I will stick a pickup in it and use it as a test guitar when I get back into playing with guitar amplifiers.
Old 12-29-2014, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
No. It was just a steppingstone in a direction I never knew I would take. I had no interest in making acoustic guitars before this guitar. I just had some health issues that had me stuck in bed for a time and I wanted something to practice with that was louder than an electric unplugged. It actually turned out much better than I expected, I did not expect too much, but because of it I thought I might actually be able to build a real acoustic.
Similarish situation here: I'm an electric guy, but a cousin liked my most recent electric build so much that he's commissioned me to build him an "acoustic." This build is the prototype, a semi-hollow, to assess the proportions and how it fits him. An actual acoustic version is still in the works, but we may stick with semi-hollow if he likes this one enough.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:06 PM

Ive got a project just like this im working on, a electric bolt neck, solid mahogany cut out body sides 2.5'' thick in a Les Paul shape/size, mahogany back and spruce top.

Last edited by GreenWoodworker; 01-05-2015 at 03:08 PM. Reason: was on the wrong page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair