The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 01-03-2015, 07:38 PM

Default Thoughts on getting this repaired

Hello. I came across a listing for a HD-28 that is need of some repairs. Here are the pics:

In the hands of a good luthier, could this be repaired to good shape? Anyone have any thoughts on how much it may cost? This is completely out of my comfort zone but I thought maybe there was some value to be had here if the price on picking it up was right. Thanks for the help!

Martin * Pre-War Guitars * Brothers Music
Old 01-03-2015, 07:55 PM

This is a fairly simple repair. Depending on how much cosmetic work is done, the repair could range from $75 to $150 in my shop.
The lesson is clear.....don't drop your guitar on the end pin, and if possible, remove the pin for shipping.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Arnold View Post
This is a fairly simple repair. Depending on how much cosmetic work is done, the repair could range from $75 to $150 in my shop.
The lesson is clear.....don't drop your guitar on the end pin, and if possible, remove the pin for shipping.
Thanks for the quick reply. That's good to hear. I'm going to pursue picking this guitar up as the price would definitely be right.

Will the repair work be very noticeable after it's done (assuming that it's done properly)? I assume also that since most of the damage is on the side of the guitar that any impact on tone will be minimal.

Thanks again!

Old 01-05-2015, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaft103 View Post
Will the repair work be very noticeable after it's done (assuming that it's done properly)?
That will depend on how much finish work you have done. There are two parts to a repair like this. There is the structural part where the wood is glued back together and reinforced as necessary. After this the guitar is stable and perfectly playable. Lots of folks simply want this part of the repair done.At this point the repair may be fairly noticeable but not ugly if done well. The second part are the finish repairs. This is what will make it look nice. This will make the surface over the repairs flat and shiny again and limit the attention the repair attracts. But it will always be a repair......You will be able to see it because you know it's there. The slight jog in the back purflings will likely remain as a slight give away to the repair.

Do I also see the bridge is partially popped off in that first pic?
Old 01-05-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the replies. Unfortunately I wasn't quick enough on Craigslist to get the guitar. Someone made out pretty well because the asking price was only $600.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair